News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [56K Turbosmooths] Developer's Work-In-Progress Thread Redux  (Read 178280 times)

Norman The Loli Pirate

• Pit Drone
  • Los! Los! Los!
Re: [56K Turbosmooths] Developer's Work-In-Progress Thread Redux
« Reply #3060 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:55 AM »
Way to quad post for something so stupid.
The helmet has already been changed to black and will have the choice of grey and white in the alts, why does it matter what shade I like better now?

But yeah, not only it looks not very pleasant on its own, it causes major inconsistency. Like i said, the model itself "remakes" the original barney, while the helmet is white like it was on MP barneys or engineers.
Personal opinion. The inspiration for the white came from a few different things, two of them being the old millitary police barneys and old style riot police helmets, plus I didn't like the grey and wanted to keep the black for the barnabus.

But what makes me question the most, is that he said, that cut HL2 Beta helmet is white too. Why? Does it really looks like white? It is gray!
My memory isn't that great, I misremembered what shade an unused barney helmet that's in HL2's game files was, sue me.

Oh, one more thing. ID badge is from beta too. What concept does this model follow then? Is it remaking beta, or retail?
What? How in the blue hell does two things mean I'm trying to remake the beta model? It looks nothing like it.
I took some inspiration and ideas from some of Valve's other models, that's it. Originally I wasn't even going to give the top of the helmet a texture but someone suggested it and after making a quick texture for it I liked that idea. I used the ID tag from the unused construction model because I thought it look better then a grey box with a photo and the Black Mesa logo.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 05:54:34 AM by Norman The Loli Pirate »
Signatures are for nerds

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3061 on: November 20, 2017, 09:40:49 AM »
Nerd fight plx

AleKK

• Scientists
« Reply #3062 on: November 20, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »
Yeah, sorry about that ranting. I don't know, what happened to me, but i want to apologize for all this. This topic really was irrelevant by the time i was writing all this
It's great to be part of the greater good!

H3000

• Scientists
  • Satanists And Pedophiles Run The World.
« Reply #3063 on: November 26, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
I was bored, then i ended up making this demon bitch in Milkshape.
Now i'm wondering... is there a mod that needs a new model pack or something?
I haven't learn to map in HL1 so... :(
Don't really know if it can be used for anything but i totally feel like making more monsters like this.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3064 on: December 02, 2017, 06:58:46 AM »
I was bored, then i ended up making this demon bitch in Milkshape.
Now i'm wondering... is there a mod that needs a new model pack or something?
I haven't learn to map in HL1 so... :(
Don't really know if it can be used for anything but i totally feel like making more monsters like this.

Looks like something that would be right at home in Afraid of Monsters or Cry of Fear.

Josef

• Baby Gargantua
  • Show them online!
    • Bloodbath Softworks
« Reply #3065 on: December 08, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Looks like a female version of this guy.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3066 on: February 04, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »

4dlulz

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Black Op
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #3067 on: February 04, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
My loins are engorged.  :2pro:
Fairly pro texture artist.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3068 on: February 04, 2018, 05:57:54 PM »
My loins are engorged.  :2pro:
This.

Not sure where all this really pro stuff is coming from pal, but good work!

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3069 on: February 04, 2018, 06:04:37 PM »
The woman is out of the country so im finally having time for myself to waste.  :smile:

Its just an edited kitbash for now using the base from RTCW, with some more stolen shit added on. Still tinkering with the design.

Norman The Loli Pirate

• Pit Drone
  • Los! Los! Los!
« Reply #3070 on: February 05, 2018, 09:49:00 AM »
Damn I'm a nerd, immediately reconsidered the mask texture being from the CS 1.6 GIGN.
At Least, I'm pretty sure it it

Pretty pro looking assassin you got going there so far.
Signatures are for nerds

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3071 on: February 05, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
At Least, I'm pretty sure it it

You'd be right

Small update. Trying to find a balance between something spooky and something nerds can beat off to. Don't know yet if i'll make the goggles bigger or the mask smaller so the skin isn't visible. Still figuring out the straps as well.

AleKK

• Scientists
« Reply #3072 on: February 06, 2018, 05:59:58 AM »
Nice job here, mate! Hope you won't forget about goggles during "death_during_run" animation

But, i must say, the goggle's and earpiece's textures are not quite fitting the rest of the model. Maybe you should make them a little darker?

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Black Op
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #3073 on: February 06, 2018, 08:31:05 AM »
I don't know if any of us are as in tune with levels, contrast and curves as SPRKH, he'll fix those googles up properly.  :coolbiden:

edit: I hate to keep using the forum attachments so much, but I have no idea where I can host this pic that won't resize and compress it. I fixed the scaling for all detail textures (they don't stretch anymore, unless the map texture is stretched). I'm up to a count of two dozen different detail textures, although some are for specific objects (those that use multiple materials).

Idk how much further I can take this to be honest. you can't make them too strong or they look awful. You can't make them too high res or they look awful. You can't make them with too distinctive surface features or they tile awful. You rarely get the results you want without extensive tweaking.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:10:50 AM by JohnChronic »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3074 on: February 09, 2018, 01:37:58 PM »
Looks pretty rad right there. I dont think there's a whole lot more you can do with em to make maps look more leet, other than editing or redoing the map textures as well.

Speaking of, does anyone know if you can replace textures in a wad with higher res ones, or do they need to be the same size as the originals?

AleKK

• Scientists
« Reply #3075 on: February 09, 2018, 01:58:02 PM »
Speaking of, does anyone know if you can replace textures in a wad with higher res ones, or do they need to be the same size as the originals?

I'm not an expert in this, but i think you probably can, yes. At least, i've seen many pack, that are replacing old low-res textures in original .WADs with new higher-res ones

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Black Op
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #3076 on: February 09, 2018, 02:31:04 PM »
Word on the street is that halflife.wad can only be used reliably to replace textures in the multiplayer maps. Apparently the SP maps have some textures baked into them, so only certain textures in a custom halflife.wad will actually work. I do believe this is what caused that Half-Life: Gold mod to become multiplayer only, they relied on a blank .wad for their detail textures.

I've looked into fixing it, but I lack the skills. I think a fix would require forcing the engine to load textures from halflife.wad first, or recompiling all the SP maps.

On a side note, I've been playing around and found that detail textures work very nicely for a lighting pass on the default textures.

Edit: Lol, looking at this comparison pic, I may have overdone the seams on the linoleum tile.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 02:35:59 PM by JohnChronic »

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3077 on: February 09, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Word on the street is that halflife.wad can only be used reliably to replace textures in the multiplayer maps. Apparently the SP maps have some textures baked into them, so only certain textures in a custom halflife.wad will actually work. I do believe this is what caused that Half-Life: Gold mod to become multiplayer only, they relied on a blank .wad for their detail textures.

I've looked into fixing it, but I lack the skills. I think a fix would require forcing the engine to load textures from halflife.wad first, or recompiling all the SP maps.

On a side note, I've been playing around and found that detail textures work very nicely for a lighting pass on the default textures.

Edit: Lol, looking at this comparison pic, I may have overdone the seams on the linoleum tile.

"Seems" good to me pal.

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Black Op
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #3078 on: February 11, 2018, 12:26:11 PM »
BMRF needed some new concrete floors.

RavenGT

• aka Charlie Cyprus
  • Administrator
  • Scientists
  • I do graphic design.
« Reply #3079 on: May 23, 2018, 09:56:36 PM »
but I have no idea where I can host this pic that won't resize and compress it
https://mixtape.moe or any of the Pomf clones. You can also hook it up to ShareX here:

https://my.mixtape.moe/wscqko.PNG

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #3080 on: May 26, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »
Nice work JohnChronic!
A recompile of the maps will be no bad idea, because there could be added some other extra stuff, like those brillant new Charger models DGF made.
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

AleKK

• Scientists
« Reply #3081 on: May 28, 2018, 01:36:46 PM »
Nice work JohnChronic!
A recompile of the maps will be no bad idea, because there could be added some other extra stuff, like those brillant new Charger models DGF made.

Sorry, i'm not very experienced in mapping, but isn't map decompile is a bad idea, because of how horribly geometry breaks after this?

Also, If you haven't noticed, DGF's new chargers come with script, that automatically replaces the old chargers with new modelled ones. Although, obviously, it works only in Sven Co-op

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #3082 on: June 02, 2018, 11:13:37 AM »
Sorry, i'm not very experienced in mapping, but isn't map decompile is a bad idea, because of how horribly geometry breaks after this?

That is correct, it's not a good idea decompile the maps, Change some Things, an recompile it then.
But there are still the SDK Maps you can use. :)

https://nofile.io/f/ucBr5KHtNOt/hl1_sdk_maps.zip

calinator666

• Roach
« Reply #3083 on: June 03, 2018, 06:55:21 AM »
might try adding those chargers in myself at some point. It shouldn't be hard seeing as how dgf was kind enough to give us the charger as a prefab. Say where did you get these source files anyway?

calinator666

• Roach
« Reply #3084 on: June 03, 2018, 06:57:32 AM »
Oh wait, These are for source

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #3085 on: June 08, 2018, 11:15:36 PM »
Oh wait, These are for source

Really? Damn. I got them Long time ago, can't remember where...

Garompa

« Reply #3086 on: July 09, 2018, 12:14:20 AM »
SPRKH about detail textures. I have gathered many for all the HL games and put them in a pack for Sven Coop, you might find it useful in the forums here:

https://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/44464-Sven-Co-op-5-0-Overhaulin-Packs-Campaign-(Ultra-Def)

I found that the best way (even if some people hate it), is to replace the wad's textures with a blank texture, and recreate that texture yourself entirely. That is what works best imho. Still, never got around to fix the pack or complete it, thats why some textures may be missing or overlap with old ones.

With a global detail texture file that replaces all textures in the wad, for all maps it could be easy (I have asked for this but nobody seemed interested) but as there is no way to do that you'd have to copy that file for each map.

But I believe if done correctly, replacing every texture this way, you'd end up with real higher quality textures in your game. Keep in mind they must have the same size proportions even if the detail textures are bigger (meaning that a 64x64 texture can have a 256x256 or 512x512 detail texture and so on).

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3087 on: July 14, 2018, 03:24:54 PM »
SPRKH about detail textures. I have gathered many for all the HL games and put them in a pack for Sven Coop, you might find it useful in the forums here:

https://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/44464-Sven-Co-op-5-0-Overhaulin-Packs-Campaign-(Ultra-Def)

I found that the best way (even if some people hate it), is to replace the wad's textures with a blank texture, and recreate that texture yourself entirely. That is what works best imho. Still, never got around to fix the pack or complete it, thats why some textures may be missing or overlap with old ones.

With a global detail texture file that replaces all textures in the wad, for all maps it could be easy (I have asked for this but nobody seemed interested) but as there is no way to do that you'd have to copy that file for each map.

But I believe if done correctly, replacing every texture this way, you'd end up with real higher quality textures in your game. Keep in mind they must have the same size proportions even if the detail textures are bigger (meaning that a 64x64 texture can have a 256x256 or 512x512 detail texture and so on).

My question wasn't so much about detail textures, but rather on the actual map textures. Making a texture pack would be an interesting idea. The issue seems to be that most of the campaign maps have a lot of the textures baked into the map, and i'm not big enough of a nerd to figure out if and how these textures could be replaced. Simply setting up hammer is above my pay grade.

If the method you're suggesting isn't an absolute fucking nightmare to implement and deal with -like everything else goldsrc- i'd be interested in hearing more about it.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #3088 on: July 15, 2018, 03:43:01 AM »
Hey Jordy, how are you?. Thought I'd check in here because I'm doing a bit of GoldSrc modding myself these days.

I know for sure that you can open a .bsp with just GCFScape and see what textures are used in there (they're just listed as .bmp files) if you're purely interested in seeing what is actually embedded into a .bsp.

However,  I found this tool which seems to do exactly what you want - Remove the textures embedded into the .bsp so that it reads straight from halflife.wad, xeno.wad or liquids.wad (the 3 main wad files for Half-Life). I've gone ahead and compiled it for you and created a mini-tool to batch convert all .bsp files. Here's how it works:

- Download BSPTexRM_BatchRunner.exe and BSPTexRM.exe from the post here.
- Copy all .bsp files from Half-Life into some new folder (just as a safe back-up) and place BSPTexRM_BatchRunner.exe and BSPTexRM.exe in there.
- Run BSPTexRM_BatchRunner.exe - It will detect all .bsp files in that folder and run BSPTexRM.exe automatically on it
- When it's done removing the embedded textures from all bsps, all fixed bsps will be copied with _trimmed added to their name
- If you want, my batch tool can automatically delete the old unfixed bsps in that folder and rename the new fixed bsps to the correct filename. Press Y in the program (it will ask) if you want it to do that
- Copy all .bsp files back into the Half-Life maps folder
- One note. For whatever reason, Half-Life bsps expect a file called sample.wad to exist. Because it does not exist, copy any random .wad and rename it to sample.wad (the same folder as halflife.wad, xeno.wad and liquids.wad) - Alternatively, just create an empty .wad with a program like Wally

Let me know if you have any questions! (or if my shit tool does not work)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:45:09 AM by James »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3089 on: July 15, 2018, 01:12:01 PM »
Other than getting an error about MSVCR120D.dll being missing, the tool and batch file work as intended. Both the stripped .bsp and custom halflife.wad file seem to load just fine when placed in the _addon folder so there's no need to overwrite any original files.

Sadly, custom textures need to be the same dimensions as the original, otherwise there will be scaling errors. There isn't a whole lot you can do to bump up the resolution.