News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Re: Random stuff thread of awesome  (Read 3280 times)

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
Re: Random stuff thread of awesome
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 05:06:44 AM »
ITT; tl;dr.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 05:12:08 AM »
ITT; 2nerdy; 2mad; tl;dr.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2010, 06:37:13 AM »
Shit I didn't realize I wrote so much. Greece ftw

deka

• Black Op
  • SPQR
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »
Athens had just been in a rough stage with alcabiates (sp?), a leader of theirs who had everything; looks, brains, and charm. Some people destroyed some statues of gods amd vandalized temples. A rumor began that Alcabiates was involved. At that time he needed an excuse to get away. He convinced the Assembly (it's like Congress except every male landowner showed up) that an island not so for from Athens posed a threat to them. Alcabiates, being the great military general he was, would lead the Athenian fleet. He and the Athenian navy were on their way to this island, and he got word that he had to return to Athens to go on trial for his supposed acts. At that time, Athens and Sparta weren't on very friendly terms over an issue I cannot recall...but Alcabiates, instead of going to Athens, betrays them and goes to Sparta. The Spartans don't quite understand why he's there; he quickly becomes close to the king. If you thought things would be getting better, they weren't; Alcabiates sleeps with the Spartan king's wife and impregnates her. Not long before, Sparta was advancing to lay siege to Athens. Athens suffered a terrible loss on the island without their general, btw. So they were bscly fucked when Alcabiates sails around Sparta to Persia to get on good terms with them, etc. They also lay siege to Athens. After it's pretty much rebuilt Alcabiates is dead, and Athens starts to wonder where their bad luck came from. Someone prior to Alcabiates (I forget who) and himself had both been students of Socrates. Socrates' method taught people to question everything around them. He was an atheist and Athens didn't really care. Through most of his adult life he was a teacher, rarely was he taken seriously. Now that shit's hit the fan, Athens wants someone to blame their misfortune on, and they choose Socrates.

Um, yeah. I probably switched some stuff and the like,but I got the gist of it.
/history nerd

Holy crap, that's amazing. Is it covered in History of the Peloponnesian War? I've been holding off on picking that book up forever. I wanted to finish The Histories first, but it's Sunday and the bookstore is open, I'm going right after I finish typing this.

Still, regardless how the Athenians justified their actions, they killed Socrates, that poor bastard.

ITT; tl;dr.
ITT; 2nerdy; 2mad; tl;dr.

haters gonna hate

About the conviction stuff, a conviction doesn't exist if you don't have people who belive in it, since stupid people tend to believe whatever they are told and doesn't scare them, I'll still remain convice that they are the problem (see what I did there)

That's true. You do need stupid people to make stupid decisions.

But, there will always be stupid people. No matter how much you educate the rabble, they'll never become un-stupid (on the contrary, they might even become dangerous), especially in this day and age, when anyone can get a degree. It's in the best interest of all to keep the rabble docile, by not filling their heads with decadent ideas and not abusing them past their threshold. After all, without the rabble, who's going to harvest my cereal for breakfast?

I'd say democracy is our best bet currently, simply because all things leaning towards despotism just are not sustainable.

There are other modes of government than just democracy and despotism.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2010, 09:46:45 AM »
That's true. You do need stupid people to make stupid decisions.

But, there will always be stupid people. No matter how much you educate the rabble, they'll never become un-stupid (on the contrary, they might even become dangerous), especially in this day and age, when anyone can get a degree. It's in the best interest of all to keep the rabble docile, by not filling their heads with decadent ideas and not abusing them past their threshold. After all, without the rabble, who's going to harvest my cereal for breakfast?
I'll go for eugenics genocide and robot farmers
On a more serious note I understand your point, even if the "anyone can get a degree" part is probably due to the Flynn effect