News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: ~Religion~  (Read 8787 times)

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
Re: ~Religion~
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2011, 01:14:22 PM »
Can't we just all agree for : There is no way for us to prove one way or a other, and believing is incredibly flawed.
The debate is thereby incredibly useless

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2011, 02:45:40 PM »
The keyword here being "could", it's just a possibility mr. Dawkins came up with.

The idea of panspermia didn't originate with him.

God is also a possibility.

The Abrahamic one?
Fat chance.

There's also a possibility that there's an invisible midget orgy taking place over your head.
But you can't disprove it.
The only logical position is a-midget-orgy-ism.

E/ Predicting an incoming Highlander quote.

As the great Rob Schneider once said,
"There can only be one."

Can't we just all agree for : There is no way for us to prove one way or a other, and believing is incredibly flawed.
The debate is thereby incredibly useless

/thread?
NO.
I THRIVE ON THIS SHIT :argh:

At school, I write papers written to the head of the religion department. It all stemmed from an assignment (the one posted earlier). He posted comments and I replied, it kept going.
On tuesday, I had a meeting with my parents, two priests, my religion teacher, and the vice principal.
To summarize the meeting in once sentence, they said:
"Shut the fuck up or get out  :coolbiden:"

Some fun excerpts from the meeting:
"After 16 years of being around religious people, you dropped it all in less than a year?! You should be institutionalized!"
"You need an exorcism!"
"We didn't accept a foreign exchange student here because he was an atheist." (Yet they have 10 Islamic foreign exchange students)
"You can't prove there isn't a god!"
"What do you have to say about the eucharistic miracles?"
"You're putting too much stock in your side and not giving ours a chance." (I guess 16 years of Catholic indoctrination isn't enough)

Now I'm being forced into attending Mass once a month with my family again :sigh:

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2011, 03:03:51 PM »
"We didn't accept a foreign exchange student here because he was an atheist." (Yet they have 10 Islamic foreign exchange students)
Well this isn't so weird?
Islam isn't too far from christianity, and really, honestly is not a threat to any christian right from the scriptures.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2011, 03:07:35 PM »
Tell them that their job is to spread the word, as is written in the bible, and not to be a die-hard converter or whatever. They are here to spread Jesus's teachings, and to guide new believers in god's ways. Informing other people what Jesus's teachings are is not the same as trying to convert a non-believer with all your might, and that being so extremely pushy only gives you a bad impression on them and their religion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 03:09:23 PM by Sporkeh »

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2011, 03:31:39 PM »
^ This.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2011, 12:27:02 AM »
Oh that's quitte good Sporkeh, I'll keep it in mind

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2011, 08:27:59 AM »
If God is a possibility, why not Gods? I don't understand alot of certain theistic philosophers who state the existence of a single deity and dismiss multiple deities. Why are people so quick to be certain, whether fully or intuitively, that there can only be one God?
Actually, I'm henotheistic.
I believe in one God that can have many different forms.
I believe the same force may have appeared by different names throughout the ages, and that people put their own spin on it, made it more human.

The Abrahamic religions, Zoroastrianism, Gnosticism, Hinduism, etc, I feel they're all connected by the same force that took different forms.

Stereotypically, Christians are expected to subscribe to the Creed of Nicea, which states that God has only three forms- Father, Son, Holy Spirit.

However, I don't believe God is so limited in that he restricts himself to three forms. I ignore the Creed of Nicea entirely.
Mormons are the same way, they don't think he's that limited either. They're not really bad people at all; they have some very interesting ideas, but are often unfairly labeled as heretics and cultists.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:37:46 PM by Trilkin »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »
All I know about mormons I learned from Sherlock Holmes, and that was in the late 1800 when in certain groups they had a very mafia-esque tinge to them.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2011, 04:39:22 PM »
Tell them that their job is to spread the word, as is written in the bible, and not to be a die-hard converter or whatever. They are here to spread Jesus's teachings, and to guide new believers in god's ways. Informing other people what Jesus's teachings are is not the same as trying to convert a non-believer with all your might, and that being so extremely pushy only gives you a bad impression on them and their religion.

Should've said that at the meeting.

I'm not allowed to talk about religion at school anymore lol. If they catch me spreading "ATHIEST LIES" I get expelled.
My parents later said "Do you wanna go to a public school?!" (They meant this as a threat). I said "please."
Well, that's what they said. I just have to keep quiet in the cafeteria/when teachers are around.
One of the priests threatened to leave if I didn't stop spreading my "ATHIEST LIES".

Well this isn't so weird?
Islam isn't too far from christianity, and really, honestly is not a threat to any christian right from the scriptures.

They try to convert the Muslims but not the atheists?
They probably see atheists as more of a threat I guess.

Christians are expected to subscribe to the Creed of Nicea

I think that's mostly Catholics, Eastern Rite, and a significant proportion of christian groups.
Don't think it's the majority though, correct me if I'm wrong.

All I know about mormons I learned from Sherlock Holmes, and that was in the late 1800 when in certain groups they had a very mafia-esque tinge to them.

Read moar.
Probably the most epic thing the Mormons have ever done.
Gotta love 'em.

Mormon indoctrination in 90 seconds:
Mormonism: Negro Jesus

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2011, 05:21:11 PM »
It's a bit dumb to judge people entirely on their history though so I shouldn't really bother with what the negro mormons have done in the past.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2011, 05:31:22 PM »
I know, just felt like sharing a part of Mormon history not many people seem to know about :P

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #131 on: November 08, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
I'm not allowed to talk about religion at school anymore lol. If they catch me spreading "ATHIEST LIES" I get expelled.
My parents later said "Do you wanna go to a public school?!" (They meant this as a threat). I said "please."
Well, that's what they said. I just have to keep quiet in the cafeteria/when teachers are around.
One of the priests threatened to leave if I didn't stop spreading my "ATHIEST LIES".

Quite myopic of them, to say the least.

They don't seem to realize that if they addressed your questions appropriately, that perhaps you'd consider what they have to say. They're only hurting themselves.

You have serious questions that you have every right to ask and instead of trying to meet those questions with fair answers, it sounds like they want to grind your musings under their heel. That's disgraceful.

It sounds to me like they want blind obedience and don't want anyone to examine their own beliefs.
How is someone supposed to be confident or strong in their faith if they can't explore their views?
If you deafen yourself to the landscape around you (physically, spiritually, or otherwise), it makes life very empty indeed.

I lost my faith once because I felt constricted, that I couldn't explore the nature of my beliefs. I found my way back when I realized that I could believe and question at the same time.

In my opinion, believing blindly and without deep thought is an insult to faith. It's like trying to navigate a cavern with just a lit match, it puts you in danger and does you no favors.

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #132 on: November 08, 2011, 06:50:48 PM »
They try to convert the Muslims but not the atheists?
They probably see atheists as more of a threat I guess.

No, muslims just happen to believe in a faith that's derived from the same sources as Christianity and is more or less the same thing with different names and updated stories. Far easier to deal with them in a Catholic school/whatever than it is someone who flat-out doesn't believe because of that.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2011, 02:55:58 AM »
America is really like that? D:

You Kevin Bacon pal.

Pretty sad that you aren't able to speak your mind about a philosophical subject.  Maybe it's just one way Catholicism holds onto it's worshippers when Protestantism does not?

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2011, 08:47:49 PM »
Christians are expected to subscribe to the Creed of Nicea

I think that's mostly Catholics, Eastern Rite, and a significant proportion of christian groups.
Don't think it's the majority though, correct me if I'm wrong.
Sorry for the late reply.

The Catholics ARE the majority (over a billion members worldwide).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:46:36 PM by Trilkin »

Jake

• Black Op
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2011, 04:36:07 PM »