News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: War and other ugly things  (Read 2089 times)

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
War and other ugly things
« on: September 16, 2011, 03:13:37 PM »
I've started this thread to avoid spilling over into TRTOA all the time, also because there are some points of view I wanted to make about conflict in general that have been aching at my heels for awhile now. Feel free to add your thoughts.

Yeah they can be controlled, it's not like they have to drop them on civilian targets is it? If they absolutely have to be used, then it should only be on legtimate military targets which are away from civilian populated areas.

If your enemy wanted you dead, utilitarian ethics won't come to mind. Your enemy won't be interested in collateral damage as long as their designated intuitive target is of priority. My point is: war sucks. At times when people shoot each other to death, the enemies' civilians are of the least of their concern whether you like it or not. This happens in every single war, and sure it's terrible. But what can the UN possibly do with it's laws? That's like saying, "Oh hey guys, go ahead fight each other but lets get some ground rules straightened out!" No ones' going to care. In war, any means to an end is fair game.

We can both agree war sucks but it is sometimes unfortunately necessary. However the means to an end often ends up in double-standards again. NATO's policy forbids the use of chemical or biological weapons but nuclear seems to be ok (depleted uranium rounds) as well as cluster, at one point NATO agreed not to use either of these as well as part of it's policy but that fell through in 1999 (see below).

The country you are dropping these rounds on really would need to have posed a significant threat to your nation.. in the case of Iraq, there wasn't even any reason to invade let alone a basis for the use of such extreme measures (weapons of mass destruction that have never been found) I mean Saddam was supposedly a tyrant who did horrible things (a lot of which done in warfare... so it's ok.. right?) but was it up to the US to intervene? How much more stable is the country now that he's not in power? It's the same deal with Gaddafi, 42 years of reign and now because of what happened in Egypt, it's a chain reaction and a great excuse for NATO to get onboard and topple the "enemy"... but again how much of what we're fed is true? I heard that Gaddafi has been providing his citizens with free health care and paying everyone a basic wage if they're not employed... bullshit? Who knows...

Anyway my speciality is the balkan wars during the breakup of Yugoslavia, which is where I'll make my point. The majority of the world has been led to believe that Serbia has commited genocide and other war crimes, a lot of which have been grossly exaggerated (the evidence is there but will never be admitted on our media because of corruption). You say "In war, any means to an end is fair game", so it was ok for NATO to bomb Belgrade for 78 days straight (based on a lie), but the extreme measures that Serbia carried out to fight their enemy was not alright? Serbian military commited war crimes in Kosovo, no one can dispute that but they were not the only ones.. so did the KLA, and crucially do did NATO.. so why is it ok for them to get away with it and the Serbs are dragged to the Hague for "justice"? The only person who has made significant steps towards seeing NATO held responsible is Carla Del Ponte (a former ICTY judge), who has been shot down everytime. It's wrong, there was no need to use cluster rounds in the way they did. Serbia was supposed to pose a threat to NATO in order to justify an attack of that magnitude, they didn't and despite most of the group countries saying no.. they did it anyway. As a result, Serbia lost part of it's territory and "independant" Kosovo is the most crime ridden state in the world.

In 1999, a Canadian law professor, Michael Mandel, filed a formal complaint of NATO war crimes with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia charging 67 NATO leaders with war crimes. These complaints were dismissed by the tribunal who claimed they had no jurisdiction over NATO.

Which is the problem, ICTY is pointless because it only serves NATO interests, so if the UN can't do anything then what happens next? The reality is as you say, NATO don't answer to anyone... they can do what they want and that is very very dangerous imho.

Following Libya, Gaddafi will he held responsible for war crimes and probably some kind of shit about genocide again and NATO will slip away scot free again.

and up next... Iran? North Korea? Basically anyone the US doesn't like from what I can see...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 03:17:31 PM by D3ads »

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
Re: War and other ugly things
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 03:22:37 PM »
and up next... Iran? North Korea? Basically anyone the US doesn't like from what I can see...

If Dick Cheney had his way it would've been Syria, but Bush decided to be diplomatic for once so we just barely avoided that quagmire. :joebiden:

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
Nobody's next because the US is being a broke ass nigga.  :smile:

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 04:01:18 PM »
Nobody's next because the US is being a broke ass nigga.  :smile:

Yeah, but more than two-thirds of our debt is owed to ourselves (China ain't got shit on how much we owe the Social Security Trust Fund) and our administration is just as war-mongering as the last one, so we can go on killing other people for the dumbest reasons for quite awhile still. :(

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 05:12:57 PM »

Yeah but European debt.

(China ain't got shit on how much we owe the Social Security Trust Fund)

The entire program should be very miniscule, not huge like it is and borrowed from constantly which fucks us over even more.
Social programs aren't a good idea.

we can go on killing other people for the dumbest reasons for quite awhile still. :(

Yeah..oil. We've got tons. We've got literally thousands of oil fields in our country we don't take advantage of, and much of it goes into storage. Inefficient tbh.

United States, world police...
Obama's logic on being in Libya is that he's stopping atrocities by Gadahfi to his people, etc. ..by that same logic we should also be in Yemen and Bahrain. If anyone should be the one to stop Libya's government from being overtly oppressive (which they shouldn't, imo, it's none of their business.), it should be a European country. But your militaries have shrunk massively as social programs have increased.
I also think a large part of NATO's reluctance to having a bigger role in Afghanistan is partly because of the legacy of American military protection, which has allowed Europe to stress social programs over military for decades.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »
You say "In war, any means to an end is fair game", so it was ok for NATO to bomb Belgrade for 78 days straight (based on a lie), but the extreme measures that Serbia carried out to fight their enemy was not alright?

I feel as though you misunderstand my stance. I'm not saying it's perversely okay for one nation/assembly to commit a similarly heinous offense that another nation did. All I'm suggesting is that regulations on wars such as the use of biological weapons or cluster bombs are just silly: you're always going to find those rogue countries attending to "illegal war offenses," a phrase in itself is funny considering the crude nature of war itself.

I also agree with you that America needs to stop being the World Police; I really do see our involvement in Libya very much similar, in regards to our purpose of being there, to that of the Vietnam War.

In connection with our previous discussion of the 9/11 conspiracy, D3ads, it may be possible to make a correlation between the large petroleum reserves in Libya as a reason for us being there, but we can never directly prove causation for our involvement as it is not explicitly stated by my government. Liberals will make a shroud suggesting that Gaddafi is a poor leader and by instilling a democracy into their country we can spread our political agenda, but there are many problems persisting in Africa, South America, and hell even my own country of the United States... so our involvement is purely conjecture without any real intuitive means of suggesting why we are involved.

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
The entire program should be very miniscule, not huge like it is and borrowed from constantly which fucks us over even more.
Social programs aren't a good idea.

A) Yes, they are.
B) The reason it's huge and borrowed from is the baby boomers. That's why payroll taxes are what they are and why there was a $3,000,000,000,000 surplus in it before everyone started borrowing out of it...to compensate for the fact that the system would collapse once that generation retires on account of Gen. X being far smaller. Before the SSTF was started (and after it ends in the 2030s), it was very miniscule. But you'd rather us be like China and be utterly fucked in 20-30 years when their one child policy makes them so top-heavy on the elderly that they collapse and make our problems look like nothing.

The real problems for social programs are crap like Bush's Medicare Part D, which prevents the government from negotiating prices and thus paying 200% for the same thing (also the whole 'pre-fund the USPS pensions for the next 75 years within 10 because they're turning a profit without taxpayer money, so why not' crap).

it should be a European country. But your militaries have shrunk massively as social programs have increased.
I also think a large part of NATO's reluctance to having a bigger role in Afghanistan is partly because of the legacy of American military protection, which has allowed Europe to stress social programs over military for decades.

That's why we're just running logistics and firing the occasional missile off of a drone while the Europeans pull all the slack, right?

Also, they cut their military budgets because there's no need for massive standing armies, social programs had little to do with it. Our military budget would be tiny-as-fuck if we didn't pay contractors twice as much for worse results (Blackwater/Xe, no-bid dev. contracts like we had with Colt resulting in shit like $30,000/unit M4s, etc) and didn't operate 750 military bases on foreign soil, all while running two wars that have cost nearly $2 trillion to date (for reference, our involvement in Libya is under $1 billion), with our military presence continuing in Afghanistan to at least 2024 if the Pentagon gets its way.

Nobody's next because the US is being a broke ass nigga.  :smile:

Yeah but European debt.

Per-capita is a fuckton less than ours, and not much worse than ours if you go by percentage of GDP, albeit with a few exceptions like Greece.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:48:25 PM by Fachiri »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 05:28:32 AM »

Yeah but European debt.

Yeah but what about it?  :smile:

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 06:12:09 AM »
Oh yeah let's talk about the wars in Arabic countries,
US goes in Iraq because of a dictator, and to free the people, but in reality it's just for the petrol, ends up killings civilian and committing war crimes the result :

France goes in Libya because of a dictator, and to free the people, but in reality it's just for the petrol, ends up killings civilian and committing war crimes the result :

I know it's cheap, couldn't resists :coolbiden:

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:25:55 AM »
Probably because America is the most hated nation in the world? (allegedly).. 

:coolbiden:

If Dick Cheney had his way it would've been Syria, but Bush decided to be diplomatic for once so we just barely avoided that quagmire. :joebiden:

Damn how did I forget Syria, I wouldn't put it past them...

Belarus has been criticised for being the last dictatorship left in Europe, there are plenty of people who think Alexander Lukashenko should be removed from power... but lol Russia.

But you'd rather us be like China and be utterly fucked in 20-30 years when their one child policy makes them so top-heavy on the elderly that they collapse and make our problems look like nothing.

But their one-child policy these days isn't strictly enforced on everyone, it depends on the region in which people live and individual circumstances. Quite often if the first born is a girl, families are allowed to have a second child and also when the firstborn has some kind of mental illness or disability. Additional children being born aren't strictly disallowed but heavy fines can be incured if a family has too many children. There are also circumstances pertaining to how many people are in the family that are wanting to reproduce, only-child couples are encouraged to have more children due to the smaller size and lesser potential to reproduce.

I wish we could enforce a one-child policy against some people in this country, Hell.. a no child policy for chavs would be nice!

I feel as though you misunderstand my stance. I'm not saying it's perversely okay for one nation/assembly to commit a similarly heinous offense that another nation did. All I'm suggesting is that regulations on wars such as the use of biological weapons or cluster bombs are just silly: you're always going to find those rogue countries attending to "illegal war offenses," a phrase in itself is funny considering the crude nature of war itself.

I also agree with you that America needs to stop being the World Police; I really do see our involvement in Libya very much similar, in regards to our purpose of being there, to that of the Vietnam War.

I didn't misunderstand you, I was more reffering to that stance of western powers based on what you said ie it's ok for us to do it because we're the "good guys" or so they would have you think. Nothing you've said I've taken personally so don't worry :)

The Libyan intervention is very much similar to the Kosovo situation to me, which is why I mentioned it... Serbia are quite open about their support for Gaddafi because they see an echo of what happened to them in many respects.

One of the NATO targets hit was one of the main water supplies as well... to what avail was that targeted? Madness.

In connection with our previous discussion of the 9/11 conspiracy, D3ads, it may be possible to make a correlation between the large petroleum reserves in Libya as a reason for us being there, but we can never directly prove causation for our involvement as it is not explicitly stated by my government. Liberals will make a shroud suggesting that Gaddafi is a poor leader and by instilling a democracy into their country we can spread our political agenda, but there are many problems persisting in Africa, South America, and hell even my own country of the United States... so our involvement is purely conjecture without any real intuitive means of suggesting why we are involved.

Just as I thought...

No doubt the US goverment still feel bitter about the Cuban fiasco... We certainly still have ongoing problems with Argentina over ownership of the Falkland Islands...

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
Sorry I can't hear you over the sound of how loved my country is

Also our flags are bigger  :coolbiden:

On a more serrious not, the whole "It's ok because we are the good guys" could work, the basis of it is that we have values, western countries share the pretty much the same values, and by definition values meant to be universalize, however our values should forbid us to use such weapons and commit war crimes, but since we do that, then that argument fail to stand.

Now if I had to make a hypothesis on why we fight in Arabic countries, it would probably be a mixed of ecconomic reasons, and the whole "Look there is a bad guy, get him and don't look at other problems lalalala" argument that has been holding our western countries together since the end of WW2.

But hey if we talk about war crimes let's not forget Israel and their use of white phosphorus:
Amazing Footage White Phosphorus Gaza

And trust me it's not used *put sunglasses* to repaint the walls, YEEEEEEAAAAAAhH
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:57:53 AM by Simon »

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 09:32:57 AM »
But you'd rather us be like China and be utterly fucked in 20-30 years when their one child policy makes them so top-heavy on the elderly that they collapse and make our problems look like nothing.

But their one-child policy these days isn't strictly enforced on everyone, it depends on the region in which people live and individual circumstances. Quite often if the first born is a girl, families are allowed to have a second child and also when the firstborn has some kind of mental illness or disability. Additional children being born aren't strictly disallowed but heavy fines can be incured if a family has too many children. There are also circumstances pertaining to how many people are in the family that are wanting to reproduce, only-child couples are encouraged to have more children due to the smaller size and lesser potential to reproduce.

I wish we could enforce a one-child policy against some people in this country, Hell.. a no child policy for chavs would be nice!

Just because some families out in the rural areas are allowed to have multiple children now doesn't change how top-heavy they are. Especially what with there being no safety nets over in China combined with the Chinese custom of the parents moving in with their kids and having them take care of their parents. That's going to economically destroy them in the coming years, both because their workforce is going to shrink dramatically and because the children are going to wind up financially ruined (so basically like the US is now with the baby boomers retiring soon and gen. X taking over, only a fuckton worse).

They'd be poised to completely skullfuck us silly for generations if they'd gone with less extreme measures to avoid that, but hindsight is 20/20.

Oh yeah let's talk about the wars in Arabic countries,
US goes in Iraq because of a dictator, and to free the people, but in reality it's just for the petrol, ends up killings civilian and committing war crimes the result :

France goes in Libya because of a dictator, and to free the people, but in reality it's just for the petrol, ends up killings civilian and committing war crimes the result :

I know it's cheap, couldn't resists :coolbiden:

Yeah, but at least your war crimes were committed with UN approval, so it's okay. We just kinda invaded Afghanistan/Iraq illegally.

Though, if we want to talk crimes, the US has been propping up the majority of these dictatorships and helping locals commit coups and such (as well as most of South America's) since WW2, just because we could. You would think we would have learned about why that always comes back to bite you in the ass from our various European Empire predecessors, but we as the new kid must've just felt so awesome we threw that out the window.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 09:40:58 AM by Fachiri »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 11:19:47 AM »
@ Simon
France has the best military policy of all NATO countries: go into a country and fuck shit up like Vikings, then go home.
America's policy is: go into a country and fuck shit up, stay there and continue fucking things up.  People tend to notice the latter point :P

This is entirely unrelated to what you guys are talking about, my father just showed this to me.  Surprised that there was an attempt at a coup so recently in a Western country.

LA IMAGEN DE TU VIDA - El 23F (1981)

More info here for anyone whose interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23-F

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 12:13:45 PM »
As a Viking descendant I totally resemble that comment

Also that video isn't totally unrelated, it's the kind of thing that shouldn't append in a civilised country, but it's part of political dynamic of our society 

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:31 PM »
America's policy is: go into a country and fuck shit up, stay there and continue fucking things up.  People tend to notice the latter point :P

Building schools and roads and hospitals in another country? Spreading democracy and FREEDOM.
Building schools and roads and hospitals in the United States itself? SOCIALISM RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 12:19:53 PM »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 02:29:29 PM »
"Peace is restored across Europe"  :gonk:

Please tell me that was a troll video.  I just... why are there people who fantasize about this stuff.

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 04:29:44 PM »
It's a "fictional scenario" according to the author, I just spotted it randomly when I was looking at some videos of the South Ossetian War, had a look... as soon as they mentioned "communist England" I was like lollerfuckingballs. It makes 0 fucking sense, guy obviously doesn't know Russia's relations with the former Yugoslavia either...

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 05:05:04 PM »
Just because some families out in the rural areas are allowed to have multiple children now doesn't change how top-heavy they are. Especially what with there being no safety nets over in China combined with the Chinese custom of the parents moving in with their kids and having them take care of their parents. That's going to economically destroy them in the coming years, both because their workforce is going to shrink dramatically and because the children are going to wind up financially ruined (so basically like the US is now with the baby boomers retiring soon and gen. X taking over, only a fuckton worse).

Well China's population is massive and has always been a problem anyway... there are more people in China than the Russian Federation and when you consider the differences in size that's a pretty "holy shit" revelation. Regardless of whether or not more children are born over the one child policy, I'm surprised China's economy hasn't collapsed sooner.. although I hear they have one of the strongest economies in the world right now? I'm not an expert on China anyway.

On a more serrious not, the whole "It's ok because we are the good guys" could work, the basis of it is that we have values, western countries share the pretty much the same values, and by definition values meant to be universalize, however our values should forbid us to use such weapons and commit war crimes, but since we do that, then that argument fail to stand.

Now if I had to make a hypothesis on why we fight in Arabic countries, it would probably be a mixed of ecconomic reasons, and the whole "Look there is a bad guy, get him and don't look at other problems lalalala" argument that has been holding our western countries together since the end of WW2.

Exactly, we are pretty much by definition, the western equals of the world.. we share the same ideals, the same way of living (just about)... but that doesn't mean that everyone else in the world should be that way... unless they want to be...

France has the best military policy of all NATO countries: go into a country and fuck shit up like Vikings, then go home.
America's policy is: go into a country and fuck shit up, stay there and continue fucking things up.

Bingo! There's always some sort of agenda in it somewhere for the benefit of the offending parties, France and some other countries just do what is needed and leave the rest to the people once the situation is "stable". The UK is America's bitch since 9/11 and the July 7th bombings, so we do whatever the US does it seems.

But hey if we talk about war crimes let's not forget Israel and their use of white phosphorus:
Amazing Footage White Phosphorus Gaza

Jesus... I had no idea about that.. but then Israel have been in bed with the US for sometime so.. yeah.

This is entirely unrelated to what you guys are talking about, my father just showed this to me.  Surprised that there was an attempt at a coup so recently in a Western country.

LA IMAGEN DE TU VIDA - El 23F (1981)

More info here for anyone whose interested: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23-F

That's certainly interesting, it's amazing how much you miss that happened isn't it? Granted I wasn't even born then but still, you'd think we'd have heard of it at some point.

I didn't even know anything about the South Ossetian War until months after it was over because I was working so much I had no time to watch the news :/

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2011, 05:19:16 PM »
I'm surprised China's economy hasn't collapsed sooner.. although I hear they have one of the strongest economies in the world right now? I'm not an expert on China anyway.

The only reasons China's economy ever recovered after WW2 was A) their massive population and B) pegging their currency against the US dollar. The population's going to bite them in the ass hard soonish, and despite pegging their currency against the dollar to keep prices low (so they can remain competitive enough to undercut western markets as they have been for the past few decades), costs over there are rising. So basically the way it looks right now is the US produces all the high-techy crap (and somehow we still have the highest industrial output on the planet despite our current situation) alongside Europe, which in turn gets all their cheap shit from China/India, who are starting to suffer the same stuff we westerners have with rising costs and jobs leaving the country and get all their cheap-cheap shit out of Africa. It's actually pretty interesting to think about.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 02:03:18 AM »

Exactly, we are pretty much by definition, the western equals of the world.. we share the same ideals, the same way of living (just about)... but that doesn't mean that everyone else in the world should be that way... unless they want to be...
Actually it does, values are meant to be universalized, that doesn't mean you have to bomb the living shit out of those who don't agree with you, but still universalize

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2011, 04:45:04 PM »
I don't know why, but I just can't get enough of President Ahmadinnerjacket.

Da Fat Cat

• Baby Gargantua
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 04:53:16 PM »
During Thursday's address he accused Western nations of "weakening countries through military intervention and destroying their infrastructures, in order to plunder their resources by making them all the more dependent".

Hardly a baseless attack...
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Real life troll really.

Alexandra

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »
Real life troll really.

He's got some amazing delivery on those trolls, tbh.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
The scary thing is that some people really think the Holocaust never existed.

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 03:21:42 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15082675

According to KFOR shooting unarmed civilians is "defence", fuck's sake the situation is a total joke.