News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: The Ethics of Piracy  (Read 938 times)

Jake

• Black Op
The Ethics of Piracy
« on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:18 PM »
Yeah, torrenting. Music, videos, games, shareware, you name it.

Do you think it's right? In certain cases?
Or wrong? On what grounds?

Discuss.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
Re: The Ethics of Piracy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 04:28:46 PM »
Oh god again ? Did you just smoke or something ?
No pirating is bad no matter what the pirate party says, people who work deserve salaries, end of the line, will that stop me from torrenting ? Hell no

Robofork

• Scientists
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:03:26 PM »
I only see pirating as "ok" when someone accidentally damages or scratches a disk, or when they already legally own whatever it is they're pirating if the original copy has been lost/damaged. There's no real argument that can justify pirating for any reason other than that imo, cause it's basically just digital shoplifting.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 05:38:01 PM »
Hence why in most countries you can make a single backup copy. However securom and other technologies dont allow a user to do this without a massive hassle.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
I regard it as OK if something is unavailable / out of print / etc. 

Hence why Abandonware is a pretty nice idea (and to the best of my knowledge, legal) especially since it circumevents the touts who sell stuff second hand for excessively overhigh prices.  If no first hand copies of something are available, then all the money possible will have flowed back to the original creator - I don't see any problem with getting your copy from a different source.

Of course, for games this is less of an issue nowadays thanks to Steam; it's becoming less of an issue for other media too with digital purchases, but there are still plenty of out of print books / etc that are otherwise extremely hard to find.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
Obviously something that is hard to find is not alone a good enough reason since that is relative.

Jake

• Black Op
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 05:01:37 PM »
Oh god again ? Did you just smoke or something ?

not then, actually
it's just fun to discuss random-ass topics that make some people raise their eyebrows or get pissed, or actually discuss them calmly and openly

No pirating is bad no matter what the pirate party says, people who work deserve salaries, end of the line, will that stop me from torrenting ? Hell no

one thing i've always heard is "AAH IT'S KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY" fucking really? usually the bands themselves make very little from the sale of their albums - it's the concerts where they get most of their money.

I only see pirating as "ok" when someone accidentally damages or scratches a disk, or when they already legally own whatever it is they're pirating if the original copy has been lost/damaged. There's no real argument that can justify pirating for any reason other than that imo, cause it's basically just digital shoplifting.

yeah, i own HL1 + expansions (retail), have bought the HL1 anthology on steam 3 or 4 times (for friends) and myself, but i've also torrented non-steam versions, to play on my flash drive with the advantages of steam's patch, and without the bugs / limitations of WON. was useful for testing stuff at school when i'd stay late

Hence why in most countries you can make a single backup copy. However securom and other technologies dont allow a user to do this without a massive hassle.

yeah, i figured torrenting a non-steam version was much less of a headache than trying to crack my own copy

and as far as music, one band you guys all know i can't get away from, AFI, released a ton of shit exclusively on vinyl, released very few copies, and/or in exclusive things. i just wanna hear the songs, ya know? hard to hear if they're unavailable. youtube is usually good for this, but i can't stand 98-156kbps quality. probably not the best situation to be picky though lol.

just from modding i realize how much work all of this is, piracy is a thorn in the side of video games.
it makes games more annoying though, like, look at diablo 3, you've gotta be online just to do singleplayer. that's not such a new idea with steam, buuut.. yeah.

doesn't stop me. there have been games i've pirated and later bought, wanting to support the makers. *shrug*

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 01:22:27 AM »
Obviously something that is hard to find is not alone a good enough reason since that is relative.

There are plenty of things I'd love to have, but I'll be damned if I can find them. Sometimes I've been lucky in small independent shops, but that's just been blind luck.
Often when I think I've found something online I'll try buying it only to be told a few days later "sorry the item you have ordered is no longer in stock". Even Amazon does this.

That in mind, where else can you get something?

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 03:16:23 AM »
not then, actually
it's just fun to discuss random-ass topics that make some people raise their eyebrows or get pissed, or actually discuss them calmly and openly
So you are trolling or something ? If you want to start a discution have the decency to not throw a huge subject like that. Limit it, so the topic doesn't go all around the place ending in a huge clusterfuck of unproductive mess.

one thing i've always heard is "AAH IT'S KILLING THE MUSIC INDUSTRY" fucking really? usually the bands themselves make very little from the sale of their albums - it's the concerts where they get most of their money.
Wait are we talking about ethics regarding piracy or ethics regarding the music industry ? No pirating isin't killing the music/movie/video game industry, all of those are doing pretty well, yes the bands make little money on sales, is pirrating a solution to all of that ? Clearly no, the only obervsable effect mass pirating has produce is more internet control all around the world.

I don't how it works in the rest of the world, but in France you have the perfect right to crack the security to create a backup copy, even if the EULA says you can't, by the law in France a contract can't strip you of your consumer's rights.

There are plenty of things I'd love to have, but I'll be damned if I can find them. Sometimes I've been lucky in small independent shops, but that's just been blind luck.
Often when I think I've found something online I'll try buying it only to be told a few days later "sorry the item you have ordered is no longer in stock". Even Amazon does this.

Yeah it sucks, but that doesn't make the whole thing right

Jake

• Black Op
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 08:47:54 AM »
not then, actually
So you are trolling or something ?

bolded what i'm interested in :P
just interested in discussion, can we not be nerds for one minute? ffs

Wait are we talking about ethics regarding piracy or ethics regarding the music industry ? No pirating isin't killing the music/movie/video game industry, all of those are doing pretty well, yes the bands make little money on sales, is pirrating a solution to all of that ? Clearly no, the only obervsable effect mass pirating has produce is more internet control all around the world.

yeah it's not a solution by any means, just used by tons of people to justify it
one argument i've heard from the "pirate party" (lol, are they taken seriously in sweden?) is that, for something to become torrentable, SOMEone first has to buy it, and they're just sharing it with everyone else.
for free.
they've got a point, i guess. don't think that justifies it though

easy way out i guess? rarities tend to not be as rare with the internet. but sometimes finding a somewhat-obscure band's discography or something of the like is a real pain in the ass, in real life, and online.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 08:59:53 AM »
The pirate party has definitely got some of the more intelligent politicians in this country. Although a party centered on piracy is a pretty bad idea.

I'm with simon on his points, as usual.