News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [56K Turbosmooths] Developer's Work-In-Progress Thread Redux  (Read 228614 times)

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
Re: [56K Turbosmooths] Developer's Work-In-Progress Thread Redux
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2011, 03:14:34 PM »
Diamond... or Toadie. Or Alex.

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Combine Captain
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 12:47:19 AM »
*points at diamond*

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 03:59:13 AM »

Don't think anyone has actually pubically released them.  Pretty sure they've only done the rounds privately between nerds, like a jizz stained pro mag.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:00:52 AM by Alex »

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 04:53:35 AM »
Pretty sure they've only done the rounds privately between nerds, like a jizz stained pro mag.

Perfect analogy.

Leska

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:31 PM »
I appear to be a tremendous nerd.

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Combine
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
I should shoot whoever "leaked" them in the face. Several times.

My grubby paws...may... have been involved. But not totally. >_>
<_<

Lrning2model.

IZ SO HARD T_T

Started off with a MP7. Box modelling is DIFFICULT T_T

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2011, 02:35:10 AM »
I should shoot whoever "leaked" them in the face. Several times.

My grubby paws...may... have been involved. But not totally. >_>
<_<

Lrning2model.

IZ SO HARD T_T

Started off with a MP7. Box modelling is DIFFICULT T_T

I imagine it is in Milkshape (is it even possible to do extruding?).  When I modelled in MS3D I used to go through the painful process of placing vertexes, then drawing faces on them.

If you're just starting out (to paraphrase James' comments) drop milkshape and move onto 3DSMax.  I've written a tutorial which should show you all the important stuff in the interface, and will have you modelling nice and quickly.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
3DSM is superior to MS3D in so many ways. Though I'd prefer MS3D for rigging and baaaasic modelling (ie a button or a cigar), 3DSM is best for anything complex.

Da Fat Cat

• Baby Gargantua
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2011, 04:16:02 PM »

I think I found some good content  :)
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

Vulpine Complex

• Administrator
  • Black Op
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »
Oh wow. Would you mind sharing some of that?

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2011, 05:30:43 PM »
I think I found some good content  :)

Looking fantastic.

//

Kay so, tacticool though time. Half-Life was originally going to have a Glock 18. Why do I believe this? Well, for starters, the HL:S Glock had 18 shots. Why would valve change that? They took the time to fix the timing on all the deploy animations, why not fix the number of shots in the Glock? Most probably don't know this, but irl, the second generation G18 had the automatic fire function, not the G17.

So, Further Data. Planning for it to be a bit more tacticool than the original Half-Life...for example, arrow submodels on the crossbow clip, draw_first and reload_last animations for the 9mmhandgun and 9mmAR, and making each magazine separate. FireArms did that, but I want to set it up differently. To the left of the number showing how many rounds are left in the current mag/fire state, there will be a magazine icon and a number next to it showing how many magazines you have left. If you reload before your magazine is emptied, you drop the mag. Gordon doesn't want to load a not full magazine. Even though Gordon doesn't afraid of anything, he's not an idiot.

Real reason is that I'm a raging homosexual and can't be assed to code the not empty mags. Your mag counter would be inconsistent. It was slightly confusing in FireArms.
.. Maybe not. I didn't pay much attention anyway.
And 18 round Glock mags actually don't exist, the G18 is technically 17+1, but who wants to deal with that anyway.

For balance reasons, the automatic mode will be faster (by quite a bit actually), slightly less accurate, and weaker. Your glock won't be an ample replacement for your MP5 by any means. Though.. the MP5 will become faster and a bit weaker. :U

You won't be seeing a G18 model for a long time, that's 2.0, buuut. I need Glock animations for Blue Shit.

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/106829

or

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/104958

The ghost of Cliffmas FALs

• HoE Project
  • Combine
  • Carl Gustaf Zapman
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2011, 09:50:35 PM »
draw_first and reload_last animations for the 9mmhandgun and 9mmAR, and making each magazine separate.
YES.

For balance reasons, the automatic mode will be faster (by quite a bit actually), slightly less accurate, and weaker. Your glock won't be an ample replacement for your MP5 by any means. Though.. the MP5 will become faster and a bit weaker. :U
Personally I'd adjust accuracy rather than damage. Same bullet coming out of the same gun doing less damage... fuckin magnets.

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/106829

or

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/104958
Brightside.
Quote from: Robbe 15/05/13, 4:31 AM
I wish I got to meet nerds IRL
[10:01:59 AM] A.I. Khan: damn those are some fucking hot tits
[10:12:50 AM] Be "Bee-key" key: proof thomas brought spork to life and said "we'll name this child spork, eh".

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2011, 05:15:27 PM »
Quote from: Cliffton_Vlodhammer
YES.

Personally I'd adjust accuracy rather than damage. Same bullet coming out of the same gun doing less damage... fuckin magnets.

Was considering making the MP5 and 9mmhandgun have separate ammunition. It'd help with the magazine issue. Just because you have 3 spare MP5 mags..well, they're not Glock magazines, does not compute. Make sense? So then the MP5 could be 5.56 and the separate magazine element would work.

Also...draw_first for the gauss and gluon? Something of that nature, doesn't make sense that the uranium is automatically in there and ready to incinerate.

Brightside.

Let's hope they look good on the new BS hands, then. Thanks!

/edit: CSS models typically have just one reload. Inconsistent with Half-Life, argh. After I rig BS hands and the other Glock, Cliff, would you want to animate the reload_notempty? Could just move the slide forward for it, I'll remove the part where he bumps the slide lock. Ooor, you and I could get on Skype/MSN, go over the basics and I could do it myself?

-Spork, your hands, though not intended for public release, are the best bet for barney hands. I've got them rigged to the pipe, magnum, shotgun, RPG and satchel radio. They look a bit odd on the grenade (that...one guy's grenade animations for HL2, can't recall the name) and the satchel. Actually in HLMV they look fine, but when you look up or down, the model appears split or something, it's..odd. /thoughts.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 05:21:42 PM by ErebusTheDark »

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2011, 05:19:47 PM »
That's the model going through the screen. Set $scale in the qc file to 2, adjust origins accordingly.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2011, 05:23:44 PM »
That's the model going through the screen. Set $scale in the qc file to 2, adjust origins accordingly.

No no, it's not that. I'll take a screenshot.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

Left to right: Normal, looking up, looking down.

See it's not too bad in normal view, really.

EDIT: Shit, something's up with Brightside's model compiles. I can't decompile any of them, with ANY versions of Cannonfodder's compile! It says "Unable to Load Model" (but all the proper files are there), and it can still decompile other models.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 06:03:00 PM by ErebusTheDark »

Greer

• Combine
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2011, 02:20:34 AM »

Left to right: Normal, looking up, looking down.

See it's not too bad in normal view, really.

EDIT: Shit, something's up with Brightside's model compiles. I can't decompile any of them, with ANY versions of Cannonfodder's compile! It says "Unable to Load Model" (but all the proper files are there), and it can still decompile other models.
Notepad ++,open it with it.Then IDST0 to IDST,
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Leska

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2011, 02:22:40 AM »
Homosexual.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2011, 03:48:32 PM »
Hey look something has been posted in the hosted mod section

Go there and comments nerds

technoblue

• For Hire B
  • Scientists
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2011, 06:12:54 PM »
looking good simon :)

I'll just plop this here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=S6SC73GE (mp3 horror ambience thing. critiques welcome).

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2011, 10:47:58 AM »
Jonny, that would certainly fit well in a horror game.  I think perhaps the high pitched spacey sounds would work better at a quieter volume in the overall mix.  Good job though :)

Finally got around to compiling my map.  Such a headache to edit gameinfo.txt > load hammer > compile > edit gameinfo.txt > load game > CRASH sdfdsg

The main thing is I'm getting solid framerates in a large open map which makes me happy.  Obviously it looks kind of shit ATM, I need to work on the lighting and add some details (roofing edges, ivy, trees, replace those dev textures etc).

Sorry for taking so long with this Toadie :(

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2011, 11:35:47 AM »
Looks very blue :P

I fucking hate detail textures.. :/

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2011, 12:32:39 PM »
Oh my god all that detail O_O 
Must be a real nightmare to set up detail overlays to match diffuse textures.

The soldiers look amazing btw.  The only thing that looks off is the window, which should really be inset.

Yeah I'll fix that too, it only needs to apply to exterior areas.

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Combine Captain
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

The soldiers look amazing btw.  The only thing that looks off is the window, which should really be inset.

Yeah I'll fix that too, it only needs to apply to exterior areas.
So colour correction can be TRIGGERED? I did not know that, and that is neat

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2011, 12:39:40 AM »
Yeah that's how I have it set up in the Clock In map, for the Point map I simply fade it out as you get closer to the city :)

@ Simon, work so far looks good.  I'm attaching some edits I put together for OPCS (which is now dead) these are based on CSCZ and custom head textures, feel free to pillage them all you want :P

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2011, 04:57:56 AM »

Heh, I'm trying to make some global settings that I can apply to all the textures so I don't have to manually edit them all the time.

Ignore the map, it's nothing more than a texture test until I finalise all the prefabs and props as well as the building layout. There are actually 3 accessiable izbas in the village, so I need to do 2 more after this...

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Combine
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2011, 11:02:57 AM »

IF you wish to get all technical & stuff.. shorter barrels mean reduced velocity, which means less damage per round. Fortunately, I say balls to that and agree with the accuracy. Make the Glock's primary fire slower but more accurate, the secondary fire faster but way less accurate and the MP5 be somewhere in the middle - better accuracy than autofire but less so than normal fire.

Also, suggesting a draw_first for the shotgun too. Pick it up and load it, because you (normally) find it lying on a crate with a box of shells beside it. At least, that's the first place I've always found it.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
Agree.

When you pick up the shotgun you also have 4 shells to spare. Should I get rid of that?

Vulpine Complex

• Administrator
  • Black Op
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2011, 06:34:11 PM »
Making shitty billboard textures for nerd mods.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
Agree.

When you pick up the shotgun you also have 4 shells to spare. Should I get rid of that?

Yeah.