News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Mafisha's grunts - from rubbish to...  (Read 20105 times)

Alisha

• Soldier
  • A.k.a Mafisha. School stops me from creations X(
Mafisha's grunts - from rubbish to...
« on: May 13, 2011, 01:13:43 PM »
Well, nothing special at all.
This is RUBBISH (so far).
But, in order to learn and become a good modeller - I'll show You lot what I'm currently doing and of course receive criticism - which is VERY welcome  :)

So far, I fail, really.

My plan is, get the HL grunts... My goals are:
-Submodel 1= Gasmask & Helmet guy; 2 skins
-Submodel 2= Balaclava (protective purpose, I hated the guy used to wear nothing but a beret which would fall off if the game was newer :P), military 'visor' [hard to describe it...], goggles up in a cover and helmet of course; 2 skins (useless unless You edit the maps)
-Submodel 3= Balaclava, goggles on, NVG mounted on a Helmet; 2 skins
-Submodel 4= Similar to 3, but no Balaclava; 2 skins (also pointless, so far!).

I wish I could do more submodels, but if I don't learn how to code map it'll be useless. But still...

Body - important equipment is missing from grunts uniform - like radio(s) and grenades (where would they get them from, otherwise?)...
But what bothers me the most - sleeves. Why ON EARTH a soldier fighting in HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS would have his arms exposed, which could lead to injuries or worse?? So what it's hot? Soldiers in e.g. Iraq, Afghanistan, despite these being warm countries have long sleeves. So why can't grunts?  >:(

One more thing: people like famous Romka can kill me - I know I took lot of their stuff. Even when I finish it'll take me AGES 'till I credit them PROPERLY.

Oh well. "Enough of chitchat" - as would Magnusson say. Few pics (hope they're not too big):

Prototype of Submodel 2 (still no mask)

Unsuccesful placement of balaclava  :( (I got it from a website where they give out 3D stuff for free and you don't even need to credit them, that's at least what I've understood from it...).

Body so far, note I still haven't done nothing about the sleeves...

No more for today - 'cos they're not even worth to show them to You.
Like gasmask model - I tried use the 'semi-HD' and edit it slightly, but from what I got I think I'm gonna nick the one from Romka's latest grunt...

Now Your impressions so far please <blushing>.

P.S. I'm a girl. With too much interest in FPS games :D
Who still remembers Mafisha's Grunts??
    I is still alive, but IRL pulled me in....

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
Re: Mafisha's grunts - from rubbish to...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
Combat glasses are bigger than that, also it looks like the strap is floating on the same head
The balaclava looks nice just make the strap bigger and it will be fine, pretty sure you can remove a lot of polies trough

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 06:21:57 AM »
The body looks really nice, however the balaclava looks more like a hockey mask, I suppose it's a better idea to texture those on the face of the model.

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 06:35:16 AM »
Oh yes, I'll see what comes out of scaling those 'combat goggles' - finally I know what are these REALLY called, apart from just 'goggles'. I just hope the mesh won't interfere with the NVG mount - I might have to rescale it.

Oh typical - You want some pics of me... But I'm sorry to tell You I'm only 14.5 years old, so it's not gonna work ;) :P <muahahaha>

About the strap - I'm making a new one so maybe it'll get fixed - I'll see what can be done. Or I'll shorten it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 06:52:29 AM by Mafisha »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 06:42:22 AM »
Yeah cameras don't work on people younger than 18 years old.

The misaligned strap makes his chin look massive.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 06:49:39 AM »
You could also make the balaclava smaler, that should work
Also you aren't supose to use NVG and combat glasses at the same time anyway
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 08:50:26 AM by James »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:54:20 AM »
The misaligned strap makes his chin look massive.

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 06:56:48 AM »
OK. I think goggles look much better and luckily it didn't ruin the NVG mount. But I still need to work on the strap, though.

Better? :)

I repeat, I'm working on the strap as well! It's just it'll take more time.

About the NVG mount - it's not really this - I think it's rather helmet 'bracket'. I saw soldier using it to hold goggles in place. I've got one real-life example:

P.S. Don't accuse them of being 'pedophiles' yet. They couldn't know my age until i confessed :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:07:19 AM by Mafisha »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
That's a really long chin, looks a bit odd unless you're going for a slightly exaggerated look.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 07:24:08 AM »
I'm not talking about the googles, those looks fine, I'm talking about the glasses the ones are right on his nose, look at the photo you posted the two soldiers on the left are wearing some, and they look way bigger than those on your model

Also be afraid, be very very afraid, you don't know the nerds here not yet

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:17:47 AM »
Yeah yeah, the thread is about grunts right?

Simon's right about the size, also the scale of the actual glass compared to the frames seems off. But that's nit pickery.

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 08:29:52 AM »
LOL. That's NOT me by the way :P

Oh dear - the goggles. I was thinking You mean those on, but later changed my mind.
I'm fixing that then... But I'll keep the top goggles enlarged as well.
OK! I dragged the slider so goggles look darker, to reming me of that soldier :P Is that one better? EDIT: That's 2nd attempt, I had to fix something quickly. I messed up the Z-axis, that's why

Note I took away the strap. Not that I'll leave the guy with a helmet like that, but I'll simply get a new one.

Any more improvements You suggest?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:58:15 AM by Mafisha »

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 08:53:00 AM »
Quote from: Nerds
Nerdy sweaty nerdy words from the whole thread
Case in point

Looks much better Mafisha, keep in mind that slider you used to make the glasses darker won't work outside Milkshape, the transparancy is handled with the level of black on the texture, the darker it's the more transparent it will be, which means you can't make tranparent sun glasses in HL, unless you put ten thousand layer of the same texture by duplicating the mesh but it will probably works better if you simply turn off the transparency

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:15 AM »
@up: I know, I'm going to make it additive in Jed's HLMV to get the similar effect. So no need to worry. ;D
I made it different shade 'cos I wanted it to resemble the soldier's 'sunglasses'. Normally, I'd use a shade of orange...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:03:26 AM by Mafisha »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »
There will be an issue in doing that, additive textures use their darkest colours as transparencies. So having that dark a shade additive will more or less make it completely see through. What you can do is colour the area covered by the glasses dark on the face texture, however that would look silly from the sides. It's a good way of doing it otherwise, since you can use an additive layer to make the edges of the glasses look misted or so.

Or you could do something I haven't ever seen done, to make every other pixel on the glass texture transparent using a transparency map, and have it at a high enough resolution that it isn't visible from any normal viewing distance. a 512x512 grid pattern or something

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 10:58:34 AM »
Hmmm; I'll have to worry about that later, now I'll get a work on that strap, and balaclava man. Plus new gloves I found.

But coming back to additivity - what about e.g. Romka's gasmask guy? In particular - his gasmask lenses. Additivity works well on them, plus chrome. Why wouldn't similar technique not work on the goggles?? :|

One more thing. I recently saw a program (?), where the texture is divided up into triangles - faces - it shows what bit will apply to which face. Anyone knows what I'm talking about? :/ Would make life easier ^^
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:05:10 AM by Mafisha »

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2011, 11:39:55 AM »
Romka cheated it turned the face behind the mask green, the color adding make the whole thing looks nice

About the texture stuff it's probably a modeling program with auto UV capabilities they tend to do that when you don't use guides
What would you want that for ?

Also can you link the website where you found the balaclava and the gloves ? Still usefull for others

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 12:13:07 PM »
I'll need it for my new arms - the texture's misaligned on the model and would've been useful if I found out what can I do to get it right.

The website - I think I found it: http://larashots.com/appleyard/3d/3d.htm . It also appears to have a 'twin', but stuff on both websites is nearly the same... Meshes are in .OBJ format.
Plus, nothing actually says about the copyright, or I haven't found it.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
Plus, nothing actually says about the copyright, or I haven't found it.

Doesn't mean you can just take and use it.

Anyway

plx.

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 12:45:51 PM »
Well... That's why before I publish it I'll have to make sure I can. Secondly, nothing says I'm actually gonna use it, I might as well go for something else.

What do You mean with the picture? :S

The gloves texture - again - nicked it from another HL grunt model - when I finish, I'll have to credit A LOT of people.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 01:02:37 PM by Mafisha »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 01:56:45 PM »
I think he's giving you a tip on how to shade the face maps on it, and how to shape the face.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
Should be okay as long as you credit the guy, internet prety much works that way, if it's free and there is no copyright, just asume the guy is okay with modding it especialy when not ready for a game

Also the Sprok is right, looks better like this

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 02:16:20 AM »
Oh. But little problem about the shape is that mouth is already in one place and mouth controllers work on it (Jed's HLMV).
But if I place it elsewhere, will it still work? Or - what to do to keep it working...?
Thx for tips.

EDIT: I just realised I could actually make additive 'sunglasses' to the grunt. I thought about Romka, and then I remembered that in his latest grunt - the gasmask model in particular - he uses two layers of 'mesh' to make the lens see-through. And this time the face behind it is normal - not green like in older version. I could do the same to the lens on the goggles, right?... If You don't get it, I'll show You what I mean... Hang on, I'll get a pic...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 02:39:48 AM by Mafisha »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 04:42:21 AM »
Are you saying there are multiple additive layers over eachother? I thought they took eachother out? I'd like to see this grunt if you have it somewhere.

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 06:33:27 AM »
I'll show You right now - this grunt was created by Romka!

The MilkShape view, but that's not it yet... Note there are two materials!

This one gives the lens their green colouring, it's just additive.

And - this one gives the lenses 'glass' look, it's both additive and chrome (and so because of that it's chrome it's 64x64 but You probably know all chrome textures have to be like that).

Oh - and Romka's whole model.

There's another texture which covers the face, gasmask and helmet. So - this time Romka didn't 'cheat' and the face is not green.

I could duplicate the glass from my goggles and give them seperate textures. Then, 'tweak' texture properties when in Jed's HLMV. See? ;)

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
Additive sets the transparency according to the texture's brightness, with black fully transparent and white fully opaque.

Dark glasses won't work, additive will only make the texture highly transparent.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 08:12:09 AM »
I think it was Benkey (the guy who converted Romka's v6 grunt to hl) who used two layers, one for the scratches and the shadows (the not chromy one) and one for the 'reflection' effect (the chrome one).
But it won't work with dark glasses, it's simple as that. If you want black combat glasses just don't make them transparent, look at the photo you posted you can't see the guy's eyes anyway

Alisha

• Soldier
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 08:39:43 AM »
Oh dear!  :( Now I know what caused confusion - maybe I wasn't clear enough - but they're NOT meant to be dark! I just made them like this to remind myself of the soldier on the pic I posted earlier.
But they will be the same colour as the first two (?) pictures! Sort of orange shade...
EDIT: THIS colour:
[I re-posted my older picture of submodel 2]. Of course the changes I made to the mesh apply, just showing You the colour!  >:(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:42:09 AM by Mafisha »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 10:17:03 AM »
A rather clear orange will work really nicely, anything close to the middle of the darkness/brightness spectrum will have about 50% transparency so it can look really nice.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »
Fix the pudgy face and strap first, it is making me sweat. They are more important than the colour of the glasses.

Typical woman fashion shit.