News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: HECU Operators Pack  (Read 1756 times)

CptSharpe

• Keep it clean.
HECU Operators Pack
« on: January 25, 2013, 10:03:05 PM »
A random thing I decided to start working on a few months ago.

This pack improves on the old school content released by Valve and Gearbox, primarily the Hazardous Environment Combat Unit.

I plan to replace models for the vanilla game and it's expansions first of all but I might consider mods such as Redemption, Residual Point, Point of View, Azure Sheep, etc.

Current Changes:

- All berets have been replaced with 8 point field caps for a more American-style Marine look.

- No more going in unprotected, everyone is wearing their headgear like they should be on a military operation.

- Improved textures for the urban battle dress uniform.

- Black combat gear for the special operations look.

- Urban helmet covers from Valve's original look have made a come back.

- Faster rate of fire for the spas-12 shotgunners make them a more dangerous foe to encounter in close quarters.

- Faster rate of fire for the SAW machinegunners make them a more valuable asset against close and medium range hostiles.

- Gearbox HD Pack weapons, sounds and sprites are being used.

- The engineer has a light on the end of his cigarette. Spark it.

Future Changes:
(These may change during development)

- Improving the Military Police head.

- Option to choose between the black equipment or more standard issue olive green gear.

- Option to choose between Gearbox style (Beretta, M4, Stocked Spas) or Valve style (Glock, MP5, Standard Spas).

- Many alternate camouflage and equipment options to choose from.

- Improving vehicle and equipment models.

- Improving certain face textures.

And now for some bloopers.

Scrapped Content:

- Mask/Goggle Overlay:
I tried a little experiment and modified a gasmask ref to fit the screen and then put it on a weapon model for Opposing Force. I spent about an hour trying to get the origins just right but needless to say it didn't work out for quite obvious reasons seen here.

After the mask, I attempted to just put in a chrome overlay over the screen to make it look as if he was seeing through the lenses at the very least. But lighting and clipping issues with having a chrome texture over the screen made it very obnoxious, especially combined with Opposing Force's nightvision goggles.

So after about 3 hours of messing with this, I decided to stop wasting time on this idea all together.

- Small Weapon References:
Not much to explain here, I had originally planned to give the Marines realistic-size weapons based on lifelike weapon props I have.

These weren't bad, I might include them in the variety packs. As for why I didn't stick with it, I observed that exaggerated things such as weapons were very commonplace in much of the goldsource games and decided just stick with it here.

- The "Rock" Head:
A joke reference I made when Charms and I were discussing what Gearbox based their Marines' look off of.

Legit.

Credits:

Valve Software - Half-Life content
Gearbox Software - Opposing Force and HD content
Rusty's National Guard addon for the urban BDU texture

Anyways, that's what I've been working on. I'm all ears to opinions and suggestions.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 10:10:18 PM by CptSharpe »
Last thing you'll see is an H.E.C.U. Marine.

M3 Luck3y Charms

• Soldier
  • They're always after me lucky charms....
Re: HECU Operators Pack
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:50 PM »
Lookin' "Sharpe" there.  :joebiden:

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
Re: HECU Operators Pack
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 06:27:48 AM »
That gas mask idea was a good one, shame it didn't work out!