News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [HL1] Doom inspired level design  (Read 4865 times)

Asphalt Snake

• Roach
    • vk.com
[HL1] Doom inspired level design
« on: July 30, 2016, 11:03:39 PM »
Hello to everyone here. My first post. So, I took the layout from the first level of Doom, the style and amount of small details is inspired by Doom 2016. And I carelessly slapped the default Half-Life textures on top. Hope, you like my silly pictures.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 12:22:08 PM by Asphalt Snake »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
Re: Doom inspired level design
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 07:12:46 AM »
Sup m8, welcome on the boards. It's pretty good so far, feeling familiar to HL but with a more sci-fi twist. What did you have in mind for the lighting?

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Big Momma
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 08:32:43 AM »
Yeah, who doesn't knows this map! :cop:
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

zikshadow

• Combine
  • Somehow, I'm still alive.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 10:17:02 AM »
Welcome, friend to the HLC!
That map looks awesome, btw.

Anywho, is that for SP or MP?

Asphalt Snake

• Roach
    • vk.com
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 01:49:41 PM »
Lighting? Just practical lamps + sci-fi glowing blue electronics in some places. I kept in mind the purpose and location of this place. And this gives the idea of how the lamps should be placed.

This map is supposed to be for single player. But if I'll come up with a good MP layout, I might use prefabs and style to make a MP map.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
Lighting? Just practical lamps + sci-fi glowing blue electronics in some places. I kept in mind the purpose and location of this place. And this gives the idea of how the lamps should be placed.

This map is supposed to be for single player. But if I'll come up with a good MP layout, I might use prefabs and style to make a MP map.

Cheers and welcome to HLC; if you made the secret backloops and removed the doors you wouldn't have to do much to make this MP viable.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »

Lowering the ambient lighting and intensifying the light sources would add more contrast to the scene, plus giving it bit more of a Doom vibe (esp. the 2016 version).

Asphalt Snake

• Roach
    • vk.com
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2016, 08:51:58 PM »
How am I supposed to do that? I used texture lighting for most sources. No such parameters for texture lighting as falloff or such.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:11 AM »
How am I supposed to do that? I used texture lighting for most sources. No such parameters for texture lighting as falloff or such.

Don't really have a clue since i'm not much of a mapper. From what i've read you could manually edit the texture's intensity in the lights.rad file, but that sounds like a slow and painful process. Being able to set the map/room's brightness is a pretty crucial thing to know, so it's probably worth finding out how to do that.  :coolbiden:

Asphalt Snake

• Roach
    • vk.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:26:17 AM »
I believe, I have no way of changing contrast of the scene with current lighting method. GoldSrc is quite limited in that regard.