News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Status Update - Maximum firepower  (Read 15590 times)

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Black Op
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
Status Update - Maximum firepower
« on: September 07, 2010, 08:02:39 AM »
" width="512" height="85
" width="512
" width="512" height="85
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512
" width="512

INTEL
It's been a silent but very busy past few months here on For Hire. We've pretty much filled out the map roster for the first release with the last addition to the list, The Training Map.
The map was constructed by the massively talented Saxon and is set in Afghanistran during their freezing cold winter. The map is part Firing Range, Part Killhouse, part game mechanics familiarisation, ideally to give everyone a go over the ropes before you face the real virtual lead. As you can see, plenty of things to put your sights over ,and should be a good litmus test as to how well you're going to fare during the rest of the campaign.
Training Map - AfghanistanTraining Map - AfghanistanTraining Map - AfghanistanTraining Map - Afghanistan

As you may have guessed from the lead-in image, we can now confirm the initial weapon set for the first release. As you can see, there's already a nice variety of weapons to cover a variety of tactics and styles here. You'll be sure to see more of them inthe coming months.

Last, but by no means least, EnterpriseG from Occupation Source has offered his able hands and knowledge to the team and is helping out with admittedly daunting task of programming for the project. Be sure to check out his own project, it's pretty damn neat.

Thats it for the moment, folks. Be sure to check back, we've got a bunch of media coming over the next few months, and if all goes well some proper ingame shots could apperate in amongst that.

Toadie Out

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Zombie
Re: Status Update - Maximum firepower
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 07:56:08 PM »
Kickass.

Looks awesome.

Now, question about gameplay...

Is it going to be tactical, ala GRAW, or faster, like MW/2?

Cause I hated how slow you plodded along in GRAW... and the fact you have approximately 5 HP..

(Just comparing to stuff I've played, not comparing FH to MW2.)

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
Thanks :)  Hopefully we can get some more media up soon.  I say hopefully... because we're pretty slow at putting up media :P

Gameplay will be tactical, somewhat like the old Ghost Recon games - I say that tenuously though because we should carve a niche for ourselves which makes this different.  I dare say our ballistics and AI should be a big step up from the Tom Clancy games for one thing.

Stealth will be progressively encouraged: at the beginning you'll just be fighting looters and hoodlums, but towards the end of our first campaign you'll be fighting a well armed, well disciplined force which can call in reinforcements.

Gameplay will be relatively slow paced.  We won't be having all sorts of NPCs bursting in left right and centre like you do in COD - one of the big aims of the game is for the player to shape events that unfold, kind of like MGS in that regard.
Oh, and I don't think our movement speed is as slow as GRAW ;)

Player health / damage I can't comment on, Toadie will need to fill you in there.

Despite everything I've said above, custom mappers could quite happily make COD style maps if they so pleased.  I guess that would be entirely feasible if servers ran some sort of "COD health regen" plugin or whatever.

Da Fat Cat

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 01:11:38 AM »
I love you Alex, but that map is not very  :2pro:
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

technoblue

• For Hire B
  • Roach
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 03:51:35 AM »
I love you Alex, but that map is not very  :2pro:

Great feedback.
Perhaps you could be a little more constructive in your commentary.

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Zombie
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:31:52 AM »
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Random question about the weapons.

Draw_first anims, right?

Cause that really adds atmosphere; You find an empty Glock on the ground, pick it up, insert a mag and rack the slide.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 05:30:17 AM »
Hurry up and release ya nerds so I can kill shit on a game thats not terrible!

The ghost of Cliffmas FALs

• HoE Project
  • Soldier
  • Carl Gustaf Zapman
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:10:18 AM »
Sounds pretty awesome to me.

Random question about the weapons.

Draw_first anims, right?

Cause that really adds atmosphere; You find an empty Glock on the ground, pick it up, insert a mag and rack the slide.

Yes.
Quote from: Robbe 15/05/13, 4:31 AM
I wish I got to meet nerds IRL
[10:01:59 AM] A.I. Khan: damn those are some fucking hot tits
[10:12:50 AM] Be "Bee-key" key: proof thomas brought spork to life and said "we'll name this child spork, eh".

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:34 AM »

This makes me happy :D  We may have to steal you away from your studies for beta testing at some point :P

@ DaFatCat, grab me ground\snowblendtexture.vmt and ground\snowblendtexture.vtf from DODS and I'll make it look much better.
I'm currently planning to rework the snow with higher poly displacements, get some detail sprites here and there, and to add some wooden supports to the interiors.

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Black Op
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 03:26:48 AM »
Kickass.

Looks awesome.

Now, question about gameplay...

Is it going to be tactical, ala GRAW, or faster, like MW/2?

Closer to the GRAW end of your comparison choices. For Hire is very much in the Tactical mentality, so it's very delibarate in the pacing of everything. I will say is that unlike GRAW, which was unsurprisingly linear, For Hire is not. Make of that what you will.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:43 AM »
Excuse me while I interrupt your little tea party here, but where are my god damn AK47s?

Also proofread the images: "tengent notch", "selct fire", "colapsible", "untreateed".
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 10:15:54 AM by Sporkeh »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:41:52 AM »
We won't be adding an AK-47 to the game.  But we will be adding a derivative to a later beta (hint: not an AK-74/AKM/RPK)

It's possible at a later date that we might have some other AR chambered in 7.62 AK... something like an ACR or RK-95.  Depends what Toadie wants to add in.

eek, we really should use a spellchecker :<

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:02:18 PM »

This makes me happy :D  We may have to steal you away from your studies for beta testing at some point :P

More like I steal your beta away from you! That works too.

Da Fat Cat

• Soldier
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:20:07 PM »
Can I steal the beta too
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Black Op
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:12 AM »
Excuse me while I interrupt your little tea party here, but where are my god damn AK47s?
Not in first release. There will be AK, more than likely.
Also proofread the images: "tengent notch", "selct fire", "colapsible", "untreateed".
Oh come on, you've never had a price list sent you that wasn't full of missives and slipped images? But yeah, I'll discretely fix that in a sec.