News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [WIP]Cthulhu: An Unspeakable Modification  (Read 37165 times)

Anton

• Gman
[WIP]Cthulhu: An Unspeakable Modification
« on: January 02, 2011, 05:51:03 AM »
Okay, I will be some sort of leader for this project, but long live the proles, democracy shall prevail etc. If I'm being a shit leader we'll get a new one.

What I had in mind was mainly to make the game more enjoyable and slightly better looking, however I am pretty terrible at modeling but I can do model hacking and textures and maps and sounds, so I need someone else to hit me up with all their 3D skills. I have already begun working on replacing some of the town maps and I'd be grateful if any talented mappers around here were to take part in the beautification of this somewhat oddly mapped mod.
This would not normally be a high priority for a pack like this, but I feel it's important to have some sort of graphical consistency between the higher definition models and the maps they are featured in, so it probably will count eventually.

I want the most annoying, most labyrinth like maps to be remade, Innsmouth is something I'm working on. I want the game mechanics to feel more polished and the media to feel more balanced, right now the mod is using homemade quite simple photoshop textures, mixed in with Day of Defeat textures, and other odd mixes, these are things I will do my best to improve.

If someone could contribute some light coding I would be delighted, as some things are somewhat odd in the original Cthulhu mod.
For one thing you get a knife for every cultist you kill, but you can only use one. Throwing knives?
The reloading of some guns is behaving very oddly. I hope this can be fixed somehow.

If this seems a stupidly advanced goal, I'm terribly sorry about that, and I hope this at least can be a nice model pack.

here's a list of finished/in progress stuff:

Cliffton has contributed:
Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol (great model, but it still only holds six bullets despite not being a revolver)
Tommygun (could use a world model, since the one it has now is ludicrously high poly)
Knife

Trilkin has contributed
Priest reskin, good one that I have further reworked
Cultist vocals, great sounding, they have the issue that they share death noises with the mobsters and this isn't governed by sentences.txt
Priest vocals, also great sounding

Werewolf has contributed
Knife, so that's another alternative
Pistol replacement, a detective special, but it's not on the right arms or anims.

Shit I myself have done:
debris sounds for wood
footstep sounds for tiles, mud and wood (how the hell are wood footstep sounds used, are they used at all?)
ambience, various.
fire sprite is now upright and looks better.
maps like the old church, the docks, innsmouth, underground temple weird machines tentacle place, City of Yith and more are being/have been reFRE$HED
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:13:45 AM by Anton »

Simon

• Gman
  • Whiskey brony
Re: [WIP]Cthulhu: An Unspeakable Modification
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »
Hey nobody is going to stop you know,
Well the human NPC aren't going to be much of a problem, but the monsters will be there isn't much to work with, so it will be creating stuff from scratch I guess. Also the code, that's going to be a pain in the ass, I think most of the problem are animation related (probably some events missing) but if we don't have the src code for the rest we will have to stick with the original dll.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 01:02:56 PM »
Sounds like some good stuff planned.

@ Simon, might it be possible to add in sequences to the monsters so that they follow existing NPC coding conventions?

I have an odd request - could you include an M1 Garand in the mod?

For pseudo code:
Only reload if clip = 0
use garand_ding.wav for the empty sound ;D

Simon

• Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 12:06:27 AM »
Sounds like some good stuff planned.

@ Simon, might it be possible to add in sequences to the monsters so that they follow existing NPC coding conventions?

I have an odd request - could you include an M1 Garand in the mod?

For pseudo code:
Only reload if clip = 0
use garand_ding.wav for the empty sound ;D
If the monster use ACT_SOMETHING to classify the anims then yes, if they the use the anim's name then no, at least not without modfying the src code
The M1 would be idea, if the gun existed in 1918 wich is not the case, it was build for WW2

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 03:50:50 AM »
Ahh balls, I didn't know the timeline.  I guess that rather limits your weapon choices?  Though something like a Winchester would make for a good rapid firing rifle.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:51 AM »
There is a lever action that loads by inserting single bullets, but it messes up constantly, probably due to animation problems. And you never get much feedback with the animations in this mod, as they are somewhat off-time and also don't really represent the action very often. So some fierce event editing and animation replacement could really help.

I have to correct the origins on those books, jesus christ, they are impossible to use.

Greer

• Combine
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 05:06:57 AM »
There is a lever action that loads by inserting single bullets, but it messes up constantly, probably due to animation problems. And you never get much feedback with the animations in this mod, as they are somewhat off-time and also don't really represent the action very often. So some fierce event editing and animation replacement could really help.

I have to correct the origins on those books, jesus christ, they are impossible to use.

Why books?Why not scrolls added to some sort of notebook?o_O
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Simon

• Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 05:22:22 AM »

Why books?Why not scrolls added to some sort of notebook?o_O
Because in the Lovecraft universe they are books

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Combine Captain
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 06:58:06 AM »
Going over the weapons I saw in a Lets Play of the mod, suggestion this for sidearm models-
Revolver - Any classic Single Action would do. Maybe Colt Detective Special , Enfield No2, maybe even something as old as the Colt SAA Peacemaker or Remington Navy
Double Barrel - Shit, ANY double barrel is better than that one. I know there's at least one for CS/CSS worth plundering.
Rifle - Winchester 1894. more than willing to make some animations for this, that thing is NASTY looking.
EDIT- Or go the other way, make it a bolt ation. Enfield, Springfield, Mauser, all good.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 07:33:54 AM by toadie »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 08:24:39 AM »
OK, I've quickly put together some Winchester sounds because lol.

LQ soundfiles should be used unless if you happen to add in a newer audio system with support for higher quality WAVs (such as Sven Coop and AM do).

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 04:23:45 PM »
I thought the only problem with having 16 bit sound was the lip syncing didn't work? I newver noticed anything else, although I haven't used them much.

It's a bit annoying to make good looking windows on the houses, The easiest way I've found is to use some simple func_walls or illusionary/ies. But this gives me the pain of putting them onto each house, but that's just tedious, not hard. Tediousness is a salvation in hammer, you should be happy as long as your map doesn't suddenly get an uncurable error, so I'm not really complaining, but, couldn't it look good to have actual modelled windows put onto the sides using monster_generic or furniture or something?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 04:32:17 PM by Anton »

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Combine Captain
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 05:49:44 PM »
I thought the only problem with having 16 bit sound was the lip syncing didn't work? I newver noticed anything else, although I haven't used them much.
Only in every modthat hasn't got a rewritten Sound engine.... or if the sounds aren't for lip sync.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2011, 01:58:32 AM »
It's a bit annoying to make good looking windows on the houses, The easiest way I've found is to use some simple func_walls or illusionary/ies. But this gives me the pain of putting them onto each house, but that's just tedious, not hard. Tediousness is a salvation in hammer, you should be happy as long as your map doesn't suddenly get an uncurable error, so I'm not really complaining, but, couldn't it look good to have actual modelled windows put onto the sides using monster_generic or furniture or something?

Only do this for houses you want to be especially detailed (usually ones you want to enter), otherwise just use flat textures with windows on already / use those DOD window props you can place on any flat surface.

Both sets of sounds are 16bit.  The HQ ones included use 44000 KHZ, the LQ ones use 22050 KHZ.  The default HL sound system sounds bad if you use anything over 22050 KHZ, but as I said before it can be fixed by implementing a newer sound system in the code.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2011, 09:55:38 AM »
16 bit works fine, but as Anton said, the "lip sync" won't work. On top of that, any coded pitch variation won't work either. 22050 khz is the max. Using anything higher will cause "runtime sample conversion" which will convert the audio down to HL quality ingame, with some sort of shitty method that makes everything sound bad.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2011, 11:31:27 AM »
I find it funny half-life has far worse sound than dark forces 2 or the thief games.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
Yeah it's nerdy. At some point, I want to look into 3D sound engines, possibly Fmod like SC uses for audio in HL.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 05:43:29 PM »
Some sounds I have for a door I made sound far better than all the other sounds I'm using and that's somewhat annoying.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2011, 04:21:34 AM »
What sort of sounds are you referring to?  Ambient sounds or weapon/item/player sounds?
Ambient sounds don't have to be high quality, but sounds heard regularly by the player should be high quality.

Was just browsing moddb and found this http://www.moddb.com/mods/vampire-slayer/images/vs-winchester#imagebox

Found a video showing the animations, they look pretty decent.
LobiAlkon's Second Video Frag - Vampire Slayer MOD

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 09:31:09 AM »
Well the "sounds for the door" are 8 bit mono sounds for sven co-op (which I know is unneeded as it can handle 16bit) and however I compressed them I couldn't get them to sound as terrible as half-life's default sounds.
The sounds I'm thinking of remaking for this are some esentials, like the spell sound, no more gluon gun. And weapon pick up sounds, melee weapon sounds, and footstep sounds. I'm going to redifine the materials used and replace a bunch of the textures too,to make it more atmospheric. Ambient soudns should be easy enough to make, but I am unsure wether the mod even uses that many?

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 09:38:20 AM »
Feel free to pillage what you want from HOENE

For magic sounds, why not try looking through the BBC Sound Library.  There are probably some suitable ones in there?  Failing that, use a glockenspiel with some flanger effect.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 09:58:03 AM »
I have freesound access and almost everything there is under CC remix license.

Although everything by the beeb is high quality from my experience, so I'll have a look. And thanks to the HoE NE access pal. Loved all the work in that mod, except it seemed to make the game feel a lot shorter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:59:43 AM by Anton »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 10:52:10 AM »
Cheers :)  The game probably was shorter... it's been ages since I worked on it (2 years?) so I can't remember much about it anymore :P

I think the gunshot sounds were mostly by Engineer so you might want to check with him before using them.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »
Right, I don't knwo anything about guns though.

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 01:38:59 PM »
As a huge Howard P. Lovecraft fan, I have a warm spot in my heart for this mod. I always wondered if it would ever get a makeover. It's look is dated, but I though it was pretty good.

I find it funny half-life has far worse sound than dark forces 2 or the thief games.

I don't want bicker, but what do you have against Thief? What's wrong with the sounds? I think the sounds have stood the test of time quite well.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 02:17:17 PM »
I don't want bicker, but what do you have against Thief? What's wrong with the sounds? I think the sounds have stood the test of time quite well.

...Thief uses a shittier engine and was released at around the same time as HL, but has superior sounds.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2011, 08:19:36 PM »
Eactly what spork said. My point was those games came earlier or around the same time, but has lightyears better sound quality.

The ghost of Cliffmas FALs

• HoE Project
  • Combine
  • Carl Gustaf Zapman
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2011, 05:26:28 AM »
This still alive?

I did a thing anyway.
Cthulhu mod: 1911 und Winchester
Quote from: Robbe 15/05/13, 4:31 AM
I wish I got to meet nerds IRL
[10:01:59 AM] A.I. Khan: damn those are some fucking hot tits
[10:12:50 AM] Be "Bee-key" key: proof thomas brought spork to life and said "we'll name this child spork, eh".

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2011, 05:32:33 AM »
That's wonderful looking! I'm afraid I haven't worked so much on this due to me being on the dole and barely allowed at home. I will resume work when the situation stabilises. Again, that looks wonderful!

The ghost of Cliffmas FALs

• HoE Project
  • Combine
  • Carl Gustaf Zapman
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2011, 06:08:10 AM »
Athankyou. Might as well post some source files while I'm here.

Credits for future reference;

Model, textures: Lord Scottish (Brain Bread)

Sounds: Brain Bread, Vunsunta, iFlip

1911 is Twinke's, straight out of Toadie's sven pack.
Quote from: Robbe 15/05/13, 4:31 AM
I wish I got to meet nerds IRL
[10:01:59 AM] A.I. Khan: damn those are some fucking hot tits
[10:12:50 AM] Be "Bee-key" key: proof thomas brought spork to life and said "we'll name this child spork, eh".

Simon

• Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 07:10:41 AM »
I was kinda afraid the whole thing was dead too, nobody really look at my work on EOD, nice work Cliffton