News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Developer Appreciation/Shout-Out Thread  (Read 13822 times)

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
Developer Appreciation/Shout-Out Thread
« on: February 02, 2007, 06:40:27 PM »
I'm making this thread because most developers know what’s wrong with their stuff and receive ample criticism to improve and some are less fortunate. This thread is for you to show your appreciation towards developers you love. They can be sound, model, skin, and web, whatever! We all know how good it makes us feel, like reading your reference letters for a job. It's good to know you’re appreciated!

There may not be too many people to shout out for now as we are still growing, but that's ok!

Let me start:

Toadie- Is there anything this guy can't do? Simply amazing work and a great guy.
Minuit- Another jack of all trades helped me out in a few tight spots a while back. Also the Co-Owner of HLC, put up some money to make this site possible.
RavenGT- For the work you are putting toward the new site and new forum design.
Hydeph- For taking up the slack and re-creating HIT Model Depot.
Ackart- For suggesting our host.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
Re: Developer Appreciation/Shout-Out Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »
Editor321 - For putting up with my lack of commitment lately, your work on the site and helping me out in the past. =]

Sureshot - Just for everything really. Helps out with everything, a vital team member for RE:CB, good to talk to, very talented and a pretty funny guy to boot.

Yngndrw - For putting up with my incessant questions and requests for help when I first started out coding. Also added some vital contributions to the RE:CB code.

Millenia - Just a generally awesome guy. Funny and very talented at modelling and skinning. I really appreciate the work you're doing for RE:CB too.

R2d2rigo - For doing some amazing work on his TLS mod and being very helpful to me too when I've asked questions. Awesome guy.

Ackart - Asks a lot, but we make a good team.

SureShot

• Roach
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 11:02:54 PM »
Me - Because I'm awesome. Allegedly.

Schmung - For basically being a good buddy, offering advice on programming and introducing me to Nashcorp

Griff - For getting me into 3D Modelling in the first place, and being my first webhost during my GTA3/VC days.

Soul Slayer - For helping out with my source compiling woes when I still did community work, til I figured it all out myself.  And for making an SR-25 back in January 2006 that I still haven't finished texturing.

Minuit - For contending with my constant rantings and beligerance via MSN.

RavenGT - For stealin' mah stylez.

Wannabe - For being hilariously lazy, and a fun guy to chat to

Polygon - For being the sole person to finish a texture for my DMC handguns, only for it not to get released.  One day dude, one day.

Bullethead - Hosting, modelling help, generally being awesome.

TheLama - Being random, being quite simply the best weapons modeller I know of personally

Stoke - For you constant denial of skills, and subsequent showcasing of another epic masterpiece (see: Benelli M3)

RavenGT

• aka Charlie Cyprus
  • Administrator
  • Scientists
  • I do graphic design.
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:07:03 AM »
Hmm, damn. Even if I could come up with a list, I'm not sure if I can actually provide descriptions for them, because they're just awesome plain and simple. Though not all of them are developers for games and stuff, they still inspire me to do stuff or become better at what I do.

Toadie
Ackart
Minuit
Editor321
Kosi
Hydeph
SureShot
Millenia
Sproily
Toolej
Reno
Andrew Weldon ;]

Not in any specific order.

Fluffy The Hamster

• Roach
  • Boom. Headshot.
    • PlanetPhillip
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 09:40:50 PM »
Bladesinger of Combine Destiny, for being the *only* developer to ever employ my writing skillz.

FrostedBitesCereal

• Roach
    • Frostbite's Maps
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 03:33:14 AM »
Vyacheslav Dzhura, and Denis Zhatov.
<3 ya guys.

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Pit Drone
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 02:42:33 AM »
Everyone and anyone who just tries their hardest to do what they've set out to do and has the drive to continue to improve their skills.
Fairly pro texture artist.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »
I'd like to thank myself for being so massively pro, and for being better than any of you guys in everything.

Nige111

• NS Project
  • Zombie
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2008, 01:17:13 PM »
professional.

/thread

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2008, 01:41:10 PM »
Well I might as well add something to this thread:

Neil Manke - for indirectly getting me interested in modding: when I first played They Hunger I thought to myself "I could do something better than this".  I've still yet to release something that puts it to shame :P

Peppyfool - demonstrating that one person can achieve a lot

Fuzzdad - ah the good old times...  There was someone who knew how to map and improve things.

Ambient.Impact - for ripping those models which we've been ripping off ever since :P

Toadie - I've never really known Toadie, but I have a great deal of respect for his stuff and how the quality of it has improved exponentially.

Wonrz - for bouncing ideas around, pushing for professionalism.  He's an excellent team player, great at skinning, UVing, and knowing what something should look like.

Editor321 - for putting up with all my crazy ideas, and for getting projects off the ground.  If you want something done, talk to Editor, he knows everyone and is discerning enough to know what is a good idea and what isn't.

Minuit - a good guy to talk to, and always beavering away on something secretive and cool :D  He maps, models and codes... which is pretty impressive!

Hydeph - for helping me work out stupid entities.  He isn't around as much as he should be, so I hope he turns up at some point!

Trilkin - the man with the plan!  Always ready with a humungous idea, propelling work forwards.

---Too many other people to list---

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Black Op
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »
Sup n______as.

Alex (SaxonSwine): First introduced me to HLC. Help me come aboard the HOE:NE team. Great guy with a great imagination and terrific modeling skills.

Jack (Wonrz): Another good modeler with great ideas. Responsible for cleverly changing the look of the bullsquid in HOE.

Tom (Editor321): A good team coordinator, very affable and open-minded. Also, he likes movies with Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness; can't go wrong there.

Nathan Ruck: I'd like to thank him for just being the crazy guy he is.

Jimmy (Minuit): A nice guy with many talents. A damn good modeler (I <3 his SEAL model!)

Everyone else on the HOE:NE team

Everybody who has faith us

Also, a shout out to a slew of professional voice actors who have no involvement with the projects here but have inspired me through their work:

Steven Blum, Paul Eiding, Stephen L. Russell, Joffrey Spaulding, Peter Hill Lurie, Richard Ian Cox, Paul Dobson, Peter Jessop, John Bosch, Michael Shapiro, Jay Anthony Franke, Crispin Freeman, Mary McGlynn, Moneca Stori, Laura Bailey, Colleen Clinkenbeard, Tiffany Grant  etc.
OH FUCK IT TOO MANY TO LIST LOL
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 12:20:48 AM by Trilkin »

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:30 AM »
Damn.

Gman: Basically, this guy was the really friendly guy. One of the few guys in the entire fucking world who was actually willing to help me out for anything. He was the one who inspired me to make a Half-Life pack, and continues to help me to this very day. Hell, he even gave me some of his unreleased BS pack model for my pack. This guy really knows how to be a giver and a community player. +100000 for Gman.

Minuit: He was the dude who got me my first warning on Half-Life Improvement Team Forums. I chatted with him from a request. I asked "Do you know of any tutorials on how to hack models?" He said, "No." "What are you trying to do?" Then, this guy, despite his heavy workload, taught me how to hack. I mean really, this guy, despite my terrible attitude at the start of the community and my idiocy, actually fucking helped me. I never knew such people of kindness and forgiveness would exist. After I learned how to hack, I started practicing and practicing. It all started from Minuit. Thanks man, there's really no way I can thank you. You taught me that by teaching others, I can teach myself. And you were right.

SaxonSwine: hehe, oh man. That PM I got that day. I actually placed a link to my Version 1 Half-Life pack on my signature. He was the one to point out that illegals aren't allowed. This guy is probably one of the most helpful and kind people I know. A really helpful teamplayer that helped me out when I first joined the community. To this day, I still talk to him through PMs. Hey man, catch me on steam and lets bust some hgibs in Half-Life Deathmatch.

Lexi: She was the person to do my first request on HIT. When I first joined, people like Ackart and MrOhai would shun new members, but not Lexi. No sir. She wouldn't let the guys like Ackart or MrOhai take another new member down. She was always a friendly, beneficent, and always truthful person. Whenever I spoke out of term and said something mean, she'd be there to say "DiamonD, please. This is a misunderstanding." She was always right. Without Lexi, I probably wouldn't be here. I wouldn't be DiamonD.

Besli: Basically, I was a leech when I first joined the community. Besli was always there to do those stupid annoying contraptions for me. This guy is so god damn fucking nice. Like, almost unnaturally nice. He's an amazing person; he'd help anyone! I try to make up for him by doing some tasks, but in the end I know there's no way I can repay him for what I asked for him in the first days on HIT. He helps me with litereally anything! A few props and weapon models; oh GOD DAMMIT THIS DUDE IS A FUCKING HAPPY DATABASE. I love ya' man!

SinistarR: My good ol' friend Tyler. Damn, I remember when I first met you in third grade. Ty used to lent me his video games for me to play with. He was always there to see if I was doing ok, or if I wanted to come over and kick his ass in Counter-Strike. Hell. This is the guy who fucking introduced me to Half-Life. He gave me the Plat editon in 2004, and I have never gotten bored with it. You're my best friend. Good luck in college man.

Editor321: All your support, effort, and hosting, there's absolutely nothing I would do without you man. It all started when you showed fullest support to my Half-Life v6 pack, and slaughtered Weavile with Editor posts. AHAHAHA omg! Your posts are better than fucking TV I swear, I always laugh at how true they are. I must admit that I have alot to learn. I really wanna' sharpen my team leadership skills, and my overall modding skills in general, and you are the person who kindled that fire. Seriously dude. Editor, you probably don't know it, but many people in the modding community wouldn't be here without you. Not because of your hostings on HLC, but your constant support and efforts to get this community to the highest standard. There aren't many people out there in this world willing to give out a free hand in projects. I'm glad there are friendly and supportive people out there.

Gravewrecker: Version 2 was when I first started getting help from people for my packs. This dude may think he's a terrible skinner, but I must admit, he's probably one of the best out there in the HIT community right now. He started out with his Satchel reskin. Slowly and slowly, he managed to actually gain a hell of alot of attention on HIT. I can't even remember how many times people PM'ed me for who made that Satchel reskin in v6. Everyone loved it. And you know what man? Gravewrecker not only gave his support to my packs, but he is perhaps one of my more closest internet friends out there. Fuck, I overcame my fear from this dude. I honestly don't know what I would do with my self if I hadn't joined HIT. I would've been a nobody. Thanks for listening to me man, you really did give me helpful advice.

Anton

• Pit Drone
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
Minuit, For recieving thousands of questions from me, and always managing to help in some way, even though he don't always give me answers.

SaxonSwine, This guy gave me freaking hammer when VERC C went down, and yeah, a generally kicking boy.

BarneyInBlue, Providing me with some mapping help, and is a really fucking kickass mapper, if a little bit grumpy sometimes.

Hydeph, Providing me with fruity ways of mapping, from hell. He is sexy, but at the same time ugly.

Ackart, for keeping my mood up with all his fucked up projects.

DiamonD, for making a fucking kickass improvement pack! Also, Thanks for the help with the Gluon gun beam, it means I now have the hottest one around.

Editor321
, This guy is rad, team lead for some of the best projects I have seen developed. Sadly Invasion Redux stopped.

GamingLord
, MAAAAN! Awesome gamer, seriously, this guy could kick my ass in any game ever, I'm pretty sure. Also a really damn good voice.. artist.. thingy. And a kickass 2D artist.

CampaignJunkie, The boy behind Second Wind in Reissues, I almost died when I first played that map pack, fuuuuuuuck.

Whoever made BlackOps, This person has been one big ass inspiration to my mapping.

Marc Schröder and his team Damn, Poke646 and vendetta is some of the best stuff I have ever played, holy fucking shitsticks.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 05:59:53 PM by Anton »

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Soldier
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2008, 05:29:34 AM »
Millenia: For his great skills in texturing, moddeling, and a odd'un, but rendering too.
Teh_Snake(He's from FPSB, may not be around on HLC.): For his brilliant Revival of Most Stalker Weapon's, and the CS1.6 Retextured weapons, aswell as CS:S.
Racer445: Well, He's epic all around...
Sureshot: well, yeah, your awesome, ;)
Soul_Slayer: Awesome models, certainly... ;)
Stoke: His skills cant be classed as bad in anyway, there perfect and there inspiring.
DeadPixel: His Bianchi FA-6 Is certainly a good achievement, however, the rest of his work, is still good... His models and everything. :D
spanks: Does amazing animations in amazing time...

prototstar

• Zombie
  • Texture Artist & Map Designer
    • My Devblog
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2008, 07:39:42 AM »
I would like to thanks all the people that are still developing contents for Goldsource and keeping the the communities alive.

Modderfreak: Thanks for adding Oldschool contents on FPSB, made me feel like playing HL1 on newer engine again.

Jlea and Kremator: Inspired me to hop back on to source mapping. Quality releases are jaw-dropping and will amaze many people and hopefully proves to be quite inspiring as well. Keep up good works!

Garrador: His works inspired me to become interest in texture design. His tutorial also offers newbie an easy understanding of how texturing work.

Albatros: Your maps for DoDS are quite visually stunning and gameplay is well balanced out. I have to admit your works is quite creative and you should be proud of that. I have never seen anyone else map like that.

Miroku: I have to thank you for being a good online buddy from late 2006 and so on. You're a driving force and always try to motivate me and putting up with my craps and such in a positive manner.

Nican132: Thanks for introducing me to C++ and PHP, even though I still haven't got a hang of it yet. :(
Well I didn't do the geo, so :v:.
And if I did, I would've modeled fucking everything.

Amateur Game Modder - http://tuningthedesign.blogspot.com/

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 03:13:23 PM »
:(

hydeph

• Scientists
    • hydeph
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 11:13:45 PM »
I'D LIKE TO THANK D3ADS FOR BEING SUCH AN O G STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON

KEEP IT UP.

for great justice

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
I LOL'd XD

I would like to thanks all the people that are still developing contents for Goldsource and keeping the the communities alive.
Why on behalf of myself, thank you :D

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Soldier
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 11:21:30 AM »
D3ADS for being the forgotten one...

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:42:12 AM »
D3ADS for being the forgotten one...

Ohhh, that's a paddling...

Leska

• Angry Dyke
  • Zombie
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2008, 01:49:34 PM »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2008, 02:18:39 PM »

prototstar

• Zombie
    • My Devblog
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
d(^.^)z

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 11:41:44 PM »

I r loev u Sporkeh, CoF hands r teh bst evr <3

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
I guess il continue...
DiamonD-for teaching me how to hack, thats all i can do but i do my best to learn more, at slow pace, but i do.
Some HIT people-for commenting, helping,just being good guys.

Small list eh?But i think its enough, DD taught me hacking, now i use it on full power and im happy with what i have.
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

prototstar

• Zombie
    • My Devblog
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:11:59 AM »
I'll continue as well!

Roadrunner - For being a cool guy from Operation Black Mesa team to chat with.

HLC Community Members - Your comedy never cease to entertain me.
FPSB Community - Thank for the constructive and criticisms on my texture works. They were helpful.
Offline Trilogy Team - Even though the project came to the halt, it was my real first mod I've worked with and learned great deal of things from the team and my works.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 11:19:17 AM »

toadie

• Global Moderator
  • Black Op
  • Terrible artist, Animator and Programmer.
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 12:09:57 PM »
My shoutout list/ hmm..
First of all, I'd like to thank myslef, because I taught myself most of what I know, and then went back later and filled in the gaps with wanky words. So thanks me.
Second of all, I'd like to thank the following people for not chasing me with pitchforks when they heard my crazy ideas
Minuit (esp)
Ackart
Editor
Third of all, thanks to these people for inspiring me to keep going doing stuff
Minuit
SaxonSwine
Diamond
Abyss
Editor
Sureshot
Sporkeh
Ambient.Impact (to do better than him)
Romka (to be better than him at the ever. and I am and he sucks the balls)
Ubisoft Montreal
Red Storm Entertanment
Valve
Gearbox

Finally a jeers to-
Mullet - for being incredibly fascecious toward me from the word go. your animations suck balls too.
Creative - for stuffing over EAX suppport for Audigy cards in Vista. You guys are pricks.

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Pit Drone
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25:17 PM »
I wanna be more specific then my last post so here we go:

3d realms - I know it will be done some day

Human Head - Prey was a masterpiece regardless of what ppl said. Just patch in a harder difficulty to combat the no-death penalty.

John Carmack - My developer idol.

Ubisoft - Might as well not even have called it far cry because that made me expect something different but it was a pleasant surprise so I guess I    can forgive you.

And of course , Toadie, Minuit, Editor, Diamond, Kyler, the usual crowd and Thanez for being such a lovable asshole.
Fairly pro texture artist.

hydeph

• Scientists
    • hydeph
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »
thanez isn't an asshole.

he's a moist lovehole, there is a difference.

for great justice