News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: ~Religion~  (Read 10482 times)

ErebusTheDark

Re: ~Religion~
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 06:38:56 PM »
Oh god, I'll be frank with you it's actually embarrassing to read alot of it. I was an elitist cunt who did alot of requests with the ego of a whales penis. Sorta' piles up on my personal regret list, but I dunno - doesn't everyone else have that kind of thing too? Internet is serious business I guess, I take things too seriously at times.

I can definitely say I regret many of my own posts too. Can't change the past I s'pose. I tried not to make requests. I got better once Kyler taught me rigging, but I can still say I've had many bad moments after that too.

I'm trying to grasp maturity on here at least. Pretty loltastic of an idea, but eh. With age comes experience, time will probably help.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2011, 01:41:38 AM »
And here I thought it was more the protestants who had blind faith/made things up. This is like acid on the ears.

The Protestant view in the UK is that God probably exists.  Not does, but probably.  I think you're confusing Evangelism with the more widespread Lutheran & Anglican movements.

Also lol, less than 50 years ago there was a wing at mental hospitals for homosexuals.
Yep, Alan Turing (of the Turing Test) grew moobs as a result of medication given to him, and subsequently an hero'd.

Oh god, I'll be frank with you it's actually embarrassing to read alot of it. I was an elitist cunt who did alot of requests with the ego of a whales penis. Sorta' piles up on my personal regret list, but I dunno - doesn't everyone else have that kind of thing too? Internet is serious business I guess, I take things too seriously at times.
Oh god, I went to look back at my first posts from 2005 and some of them are very embarrassing.  Apologies to the RECB guys for my trolling :<

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
I shall not dare to venture backwards into my HIT history.

Hey, if I can't just ingore and forge that why'd ya think I joined a new community!

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2011, 02:50:02 PM »

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 04:49:47 PM »
I love the idea of Adam & Eve.  It implies 2 things - that humans would have needed to inbreed to spread as a species (so does the Noah myth?); and secondly that evolution would need to take place create the separate human races (within a space of 7000 years).

Quote from: God (Erebus 1:1)
Incest is best.

Why? Why has God placed us in this world for a test? If he was all knowing, all powerful, all good, what incentive does he have to watch us like ants in an ant farm? Why the test to see if we are worthy for the gates to Heaven? What good is it if God already has a priori knowledge of all actions and goals that every Human being set forth? I want to believe though, it makes life less dark to know that one will end up elsewhere in an afterlife. But, I feel as though God has responsibility in addressing these questions in finer detail so as not to bring skeptics to a mind-numbing reality.

Quote from: Epicurus
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"
This, tbh.
I can't take any of it seriously. When I see extremely religious people at school make claims and almost haughtily live their faith, I have to stop myself from laughing sometimes. It's such delusion. Interestingly, Mass isn't so boring now. Everything seems so much more ritualistic and inane. I've gained fresh perspective. It's amazing how so many believe in this God guy and how he's so great and all. Yet it falls apart when you ask for a shred of solid proof that he's there.

I dunno about you, but if I was God, I'd make it very clear that I existed and directly address everyone, and not leave room for vague interpretation.

nation to that, asuming the bible is truth, then we are made in his image, then that whole bullshit is explanable with : boredom

God and his roommate

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 05:43:28 PM »
Thinking your human brain can point out the logical "fallacies" of a perfect being.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »
God: made in the image of man.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 06:27:25 PM »
Thinking your human brain can point out the logical "fallacies" of a perfect being.

Yeah, but the problem is the "perfect" part, since it's etymologically flawed and weak. What is perfect?

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 06:39:32 PM »
By definition he'd have to be dead.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 07:11:03 PM »
No, that's not the point; perfection is just ambiguous. In relation to modding, we can always find ways to improve something. Even when we have created a compile for a model, we will always find things to improve the compile a day later. There's always room for improvement, which is what bothers me with the assessment of perfection. Who are we to say what is perfect? Is there a real world example of objective (lol) perfection? I find it that to think something or someone is perfect is just plain bad; it's like stating that there's no room for improvement, and that is it. Comes really close to Line-Drawing; who will make this distinction, and under what right?

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 07:54:18 PM »
Again, you're trying to think about something you couldn't possibly understand. Why even attempt to say how "illogical" it is.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 08:02:28 PM »
What reason is there to believe such a being exists?

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
Appeal to Ignorance.

ErebusTheDark

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2011, 03:21:31 PM »
Bingo, clark.

http://www.rationalskepticism.org/creationism/evolution-is-wrong-and-zeus-is-real-t658.html

He's using similar logic to what the Creationists use. I know some Biblical literalists irl, it's kinda hiliarious trying to have a serious discussion with them.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2011, 06:27:35 AM »
Are you mental. Are you honestly trying to say that you can use rational argument to explain why an infinitely more powerful, infinitely more knowledgable, infinitely perfect and infinitely more not-human being does the things it does.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2011, 06:29:32 AM »
You don't need rational arguments to explain shit when you have the Bible, James.

Duh.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2011, 07:22:40 AM »
Are you mental. Are you honestly trying to say that you can use rational argument to explain why an infinitely more powerful, infinitely more knowledgable, infinitely perfect and infinitely more not-human being does the things it does.
If it's the same logic than creationists it's not rational

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 08:50:26 AM »
Of course it's important to question the very idea that there's a being we can't begin to understand. And how people can hold a belief that can't be tested.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »
I can say the same things on the existence of unicorns or dragons. "We don't know enough about them because they are far extending our cognitive constraint!" Lol.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2011, 07:41:01 AM »
That would be a good counter-argument if it wasn't terrible.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2011, 12:30:13 PM »
Yeah you really have nothing to say.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2011, 12:36:13 PM »
Better delete your profile and leave pal.  :joebiden:

Leska

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2011, 12:42:06 PM »

Hereby requesting smugbama as a smiley to compliment Biden.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »
Yeah you really have nothing to say.

Lame attempting at getting the upper hand. Try harder.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
Oh, now you're simply being rhetorical. Explain in detail why my analogy was "terrible" instead of petty-fogging the issue with attempts of showing how I am inferior.

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
Sorry, are you really asking why sarcastically claiming that Unicorns could be real because I suggested that it's ridiculous to try and challenge the notion of why God, if he is real, does the things he does because you couldn't possibly comprehend it from your limited human perspective and a complete waste of time, bandwidth and disk space, is a terrible response to something quite obviously correct?

Take, for example, your pseudo-philosophical response of "what is perfect?". You're asking me to define the parameters or rationality behind something that I said was completely incomprehensible, due to our limited ability to think. I specifically said it wasn't possible, and therefore there's no real point to even try and smugly point out "flaws" in what God may or may not do, using it for a reason as to why religion is bullshit.

Then take Erebus's response of "oh technically he'd be dead". Would he. That's your understanding of something so completely incomprehensible is it?

Leska

• Angry Dyke
  • Baby Gargantua
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 01:43:48 PM »

Hereby requesting smugbama as a smiley to compliment :joebiden:

Gawd dammit, James!

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 01:55:40 PM »
Okay, much clearer. So you're suggesting that we do not fully understand all of God's intentions because our ability to think is minute compared to God. This I can agree with. I don't agree, however, that man should not think about the subject because we are inept in our thinking, compared to God. How can it be a waste of time to measure up to why we should follow the intentions of God? I cannot possibly follow your appeal to ignorance, stating that we shouldn't even try to find some logical inquiry to God's intentions because we cannot understand it. As humans, we should always question why we do/follow something, and God's existence follows no exception to this. I enjoy reading people's arguments for God's existence and in-existence, it sheds major light in understanding possibilities to God - having readings from Malebranche and Hume give me a catharsis in knowing what God's intentions are, and this type of reading shouldn't be discounted simply because of the statement that we lack thinking.

My analogy to unicorns and dragons was not sarcastic at all. Think about it: your claim could be given to any supernatural or farfetched idea that exists. We could claim we do not know something simply by suggesting that we lack the capacity to know it, but that's an appeal to ignorance stating that something is true or false simply because we do not know enough of it's intentions.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2011, 03:35:54 PM »
Of course it's important to question the very idea that there's a being we can't begin to understand. And how people can hold a belief that can't be tested.

'S what I meant with this. We should question it, and if it doesn't let itself be questioned, you have to wonder why you'd believe it.