News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Shit low-res shit  (Read 2054 times)

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
Shit low-res shit
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:44:50 PM »
Been wanting to make a PSP game for some time, even got a coder at some point, but never worked out because of... "clashing" ideas.

ANYWAY, been making some low-res "doodles" mostly in my spare time at work, because I can't animate properly for CoF over there. These things are ideal for me. Modeling these don't take much time, and there are few details that need to be done. Also need to plan ahead and keep the unwrap and textures in mind, so you have to decide whether to mirror parts to get the most out of the unwrap and texture, versus keeping the tricount as low as possible. Texturing these are a blast, maps are really, really small so you could essentially finish them in one go (though I'm never able to do that). It's pretty much pixel art, so you have to be creative on how you want to texture details and such.

Finished this one some time ago

Currently doing a tacticool Mossberg 590A1.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
Re: Shit low-res shit
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:50:45 PM »
Still pretty early.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:37:42 PM »
Really hot. Seems like lots of fun to make low poly stuff. Do you maintain a certain poly count or texture budget when making PSP model compiles?

Anton

• Pit Drone
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »
I've had some ideas kicking around with my younger brother who is some form of coder, that what he should try to do is make graphics with incredibly low system requirements. I have no idea why I've become so obsessive with this, but the idea comes from if you play some "indie" platofrmer game it's probably pixel art in flash, which is retarded as hell because the pixels are actually square vectorised objects, seeing how flash gets slowdowns sometimes even on my computer, I can't believe how strange it is that they're making games look like they're for the nes yet it being unable to run on anything from before 2004.

This is sort of some real incarnation of that kind of idea. I also had a plan of a half-life mod with good looking low res graphics with incredible attention to R_speeds, as to make it perfectly smooth on an early nineties machine, but still look slick!

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 12:22:01 AM »
Yeah that was pretty much the idea.

First had the PSP in mind, but making (complex) homebrew games for it is fucking difficult, if you can find a skilled and dedicated coder in the first place. Then the Pandora handheld, but that thing pretty much died off before it ever started.

What's left is the iWhatever and... PC. Which would probably mean Half-Life 1 again. But nah.

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 02:19:03 PM »
Once again, you've got such pro skills going on there, you can get a lot of detail out of such a low resolution!