News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: How do I fix "w_" model fps drops?  (Read 840 times)

Bloodroke

• Scientists
How do I fix "w_" model fps drops?
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:40:28 PM »
I recently downloaded Ultimate Half Life and installed the pack for Opposing Force (I like the HEV hands); anyway, the result is the same regardless of any HD pack I install, and that would be the massive FPS drops I get whenever I look out into a large open area of a map with the HD "w_" model skins installed. I am talking like, 101 fps to 30 fps; shouldn't my new fangled fancy-schmancy Radeon HD 5850, AMD Phenom II X4 955 PC be more than capable of handling GoldSource games?

Is there any way to eliminate the lag from installing HD "w_" models, other than simply deleting them?

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
Re: How do I fix "w_" model fps drops?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:13:48 PM »
Hate to say but simply because the game is Gold Source doesn't necessarily mean that it would run faster on a modern computer. Half-Life 1, by default, was designed for low poly models and low resolution textures, so model packs with higher detailed models and texture resolutions will, without a doubt, lower your FPS due to lack of a LOD system. It's the responsibility of the creator of the pack to make lower poly and lower resolution world models.

Or you could do that task yourself, although to be fair it is a bit tedious. You could recompile the models with their textures cut in half, and reconfigure UV's if necessary.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Whiskey brony
Re: How do I fix "w_" model fps drops?
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:29:45 PM »
DiamonD is quite right here but it will be hard to tell without seeing the actual pack ? Got a link so we can see if it's a clusterfuck of polyrape ?