News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: PlanetPhillip Closed it's Doors Today  (Read 3113 times)

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
PlanetPhillip Closed it's Doors Today
« on: July 08, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
Read this article written by Vic for what we know so far:

http://lambdageneration.com/posts/after-9-years-planetphillip-has-closed-its-doors/

Phillip was a good pal of mine back when I was co-hosting Podcast 17, I'm to going to try to find out what happened and if there is anything that can be done. Please post any messages you would like me to forward to him when I attempt to contact him. He was a big supporter of the modding and mapping community.

Cheers,

Thomas

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
Re: PlanetPhillip Closed it's Doors Today
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 07:35:42 AM »
Well that sucks, PlanetPhillip was hell of a good website, pretty sure we just lost a couple of mods too
And apparently it's because of nerds

Da Fat Cat

• Baby Gargantua
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
:'(
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

goldsrcforever

• Zombie
  • I got distracted by cheese.
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:31:46 AM »
Oh wow. Just leaving a huge community without giving a good reason. Not only did he leave the community, he had to bring the whole thing down with him. He didn't even leave the downloads up. There were so many mods that were only available there. He could of told people that he was going to take it down so they could download the mods they wanted. Plus there was the Replay Experience Experiment that was going on. Phillip is a Cockblocker. PlanetPhillip was a great site. Now it's just... gone.

What a shame.

:suicide:
 You just couldn't leave it alone.
Barney: Maybe.

Da Fat Cat

• Baby Gargantua
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:21:04 AM »
He got banned for that, really?  It's perfectly valid to be mad at Phillip for taking down hundreds of obscure mods that might not be readily available anywhere else.  Sure it's his site, but it's still a bit of a dick move to be quite honest.
...I remember my early puberty, used to masturbate to the newly released HD model pack that came with the Half-Life Blue Shift video game.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:21 AM »
You are clearly not aware of his shameless past on here DFC, if you would like to inquire into the reasons he was banned before passing brash judgement, feel free to chat with me or any of the other staff.

Da Fat Cat

• Baby Gargantua
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »
Wasn't aware, sorry Thomas

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 08:06:52 AM »
Wasn't aware, sorry Thomas

No worries mate! Just to be clear he wasn't banned for his opinion or anything draconian like that. We have a 3 level warning system he climbed in record time.

Cheers!

EDIT: A post at facepunch reveals the files and site are still intact, that is good to hear, chances of an archive at the very least should be good.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 10:24:23 AM by Thomas »

LeonelC

• Zombie
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
I'll miss that site, it had TONS of good-old HL mods.

But well I understand him... everyone haves a life, and we have to take care of it, right?

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 04:17:46 AM »
I can't wait for the worst kind of people in the world to arrive and claim this was a stunt to get more people to use his site or whatever.

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:06:25 PM »
Glad it's not gone, it's such a brilliant site and Phillip is a nice guy, still remember the podcast I did with him back in the day.. good times.

planetphillip

• Hosted
  • Scientists
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 11:46:38 PM »
Thanks for all the words of support.

I fully understand the anger at my announcement, but you need to understand it was a snap decision.  I spent the last 8 years doing stuff for readers and for once I needed to think about myself.

The only way to do that, or so it seemed at the time, was to just close the damn thing and worry about the consequences later.

If the site had just closed like I announced then it would have been a dick move, but the world doesn't revolve around what other people want.

Anyway, no point arguing over it.

I can't wait for the worst kind of people in the world to arrive and claim this was a stunt to get more people to use his site or whatever.
I joked with William yesterday about that.  I just wish I had been smart enough to think of it myself.  As Michael O'Donoghue said when he heard Elvis had died, 'Good career move.'

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 04:40:05 AM »
Hey Phillip,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and putting it back up as an archive! I know you have been very busy over this issue the last few days so I really appreciate taking some of that "precious thing you call time" to come over and chat with us.

Again, let us know if there is anything we can do.

Loulimi