News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Xash3D Engine - custom Gold Source engine build from a scratch  (Read 9318 times)

Qwertyus

• Roach
Hello, guys! Let me inform you that no so far ago was released a new public build of Xash3D Engine. Now the latest build is 2015. This version contains a lot of bug fixes, improvements and new advanced features. Xash3D (if you still know nothing about it) is a custom Gold Source engine build from a scratch which overcomes obsolete Gold Source engine's limits. It allows you to play almost any Half-Life mod (especially - singleplayer mods) with new quality of gaming experience. For example, you can easily use high-quality textures (up to 4096 x 4096 px) for any map object or studiomodel in any mod. Also you can use this engine to create new fantastic mods for Half-Life with new advanced features - source codes of Xash3D are fully opened and released under GPL license, so you can not only use any existing features of this engine, but you can also add something new for needs of your mod.

Please visit Xash3D page on ModDB to get more info and to download latest build:
http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine

Here is also a direct link for download from HLFX.ru forum:
http://www.hlfx.ru/xash/Xash3D_build2015.rar

Official thread (on Russian, but you can use English too):
http://www.hlfx.ru/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:39:52 AM by Qwertyus »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Re: Xash3D Engine - custom Gold Source engine build from a scratch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
Cool to know it's still being worked on, I'd be interested to see what some people have managed to pull off with Xash.

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2012, 01:18:38 PM »
Last build of Xash3D was also hardly modified to add a support for newest features of XashMod v0.6. It's kinda an extended developers toolkit for Xash3D Engine which is allowing you to use in your mods even more advanced features. For example, it has an implementation of PhysX engine for simulation of real-time physical interactions for objects on a map. XashMod v0.6 will be released soon, it's already done, but still needs a proper documentation which is not completed yet.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
I remember there was some talk a while back of shadows. Was that ever implemented?

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
2 James:
Yes, soft shadows were successfully implemented in Xash Mod 0.6. But you should place on your map a dynamic lightning's source to see shadows from studiomodels (player model, NPC models etc.). Otherwise you can see only soft shadows from brush map objects.

P. S. To be more precisely, you should use env_projector entity for your lights to get an effect.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 02:31:51 PM by Qwertyus »

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:33:05 PM »
but still needs a proper documentation which is not completed yet.
Smell that people ? It's the smell of properly executed project, nice

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 10:14:28 AM by Besli »
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 06:27:09 PM »
2 Besli Yep, it's something that I currently working on. It's not a total remake of my pack, I just trying to add some nice visuals for the most of significant models in the pack, by modifing their textures. Maybe this will work under Trinity too, I have not tested this posibility yet. But under Xash3D it works fine, and you can see those highly detailed models instead of standard Valve's models in any mod (if it doesn't have its' own replacements).

In fact, I'm only playing Cry of Fear under Steam Half-Life now, all other syngleplayer mods I'm playing under Xash3D. By the way, Cry of Fear could also be supported by Xash3D, but because of hidden sources of the mod it's a problem which is too hard to fix...

P. S. Here is a sample of using 4096x4096 px texture for map objects (mountains) under Xash3D. It's better to look it in 720p HD mode, to see all the details:
HD mountains under Xash3D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:36:03 PM by Qwertyus »

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:10:38 AM »
P. S. Here is a sample of using 4096x4096 px texture for map objects (mountains) under Xash3D. It's better to look it in 720p HD mode, to see all the details:

4096x4096!? The detail is impressive! But I don't like that texture very much. I think it doesn't really fit in this terrain.
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:10 AM »
Yes, this texture more fit to detailed rocks, not to big plain surfaces as in Half-Life. But it's really hard to create or to find somewhere a good mountain texture with such amount of details and resolution. But it's a good sample to demonstrate a possible level of details.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 11:35:31 AM »
I will maybe port CoF to Xash3D someday. It would be interesting to do as it would fix problems I have right now with the CoF code such as the damn "Not enough space to load X.bsp" etc

I just need to find the time to do it. :coolbiden:

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 01:32:43 PM »
Yes, this texture more fit to detailed rocks, not to big plain surfaces as in Half-Life. But it's really hard to create or to find somewhere a good mountain texture with such amount of details and resolution. But it's a good sample to demonstrate a possible level of details.

My thoughts exactly. The geometry in the original Half-Life is far too plain to properly illustrate the high level of detail. That being said, it would be interesting to see what people do with these tools. Looking at Alex, James, and the Mini Redux people on this one.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 02:10:19 PM »
You could do some interesting stuff, but you'd still have the headache of a horrible compiler and a massively inferior version of Hammer.
For new content you're really better off going with a newer engine unless if James/et al want to team and do something together, in which case it might be possible that something cool could happen.

Question - does Xash support displacements at all? That would help A LOT with fixing up organic geometry.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 04:32:49 PM »
Cool thing, but I feel this "should've" been released a couple of years sooner, when the HL1 scene was still breathing.

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 09:28:57 PM »
James:
If you interested, Unkle Mike (Xash3D develorer) is ready to help you with porting CoF on Xash3D and with fixing of some coding errors in CoF at all too. We've already spoke about such posibility, so you can take it into consideration.

Alex:
What do you mean by word "displacements"?

Xash3D has a lot of new posibilites, and even more are coming with XashMod, but not all of the documentation is already done, and some peoples are still working on creating a proper FGD for XashMod now.

One of the latest Xash3D posibilities is support of really big maps. You just need to have properly configured compiling tools (VHE tools + some tweaks) to compile big maps (up to 32768 units on a map). One of us already tried to compile HL2 maps for Xash3D, and he has done it well :daza: . Btw, you can work with maps for Xash3D in any known map editor, not only in Hammer.

Sporkeh:
Yes, you are right, but even now you can find many peoples, who want to create new modifications for Half-Life. And some of them already want to use features of Xash3D or XashMod in theirs works. So I hope, all we see some decent works completed at least.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2012, 10:37:13 PM »
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Displacement

Quake 3 engine mods have included them too. Basically they let you create nice, smooth terrain.

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
A HL2 map format is not supported, so displacement is not supported too. At this moment only 3 map formats are supported: Hafl-Life (1), Blue Shift and Quake (1).

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 09:19:45 PM »
Excellent stuff as always, welcome to the forums Qwertyus!

I am possibly considering making Ničija zemlja a stand-alone game with the Xash3D engine in the future...

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2012, 11:50:31 AM »
D3ads:
As I know, your mod is a total conversion, so (especially if it's not assumed as multiplayer mod) you can easily create a stand-alone game, using Xash3D engine. And you can check for XashMod posibilities to use its' code as basic source for your game. Realistic physics, lighting, mirrors, extended parent system give you unlimited capabililities to create something really surprizing. You can also use a help of Unkle Mike, if you have any questions.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
Qwertyus, does the engine support prediction in multiplayer yet? Last time I played, there was no movement prediction at all so it was very laggy.

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »
James:
No :( . Prediction is disabled in Xash3D, because Unkle Mike has no precise information about how it must be coded. It's likely one of most closed parts of GoldSrc (equally with GUI codes). So the multiplayer part of Xash3D is not completed yet.

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »
Does Xash support Bump and specular maps on models?

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 04:55:34 PM »
D3ads:
Xash3D doesn't contain any part of code for direct using of bump or specular maps and so on. Same is for Xash Mod. But you can try to write your own graphics module for such type of effects (like in HLFX, PARANOIA or in Cry of Fear).
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:57:54 PM by Qwertyus »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »

:2pro:

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
I really, really want to make something with this!

Actually, one thing I'm worried about Qwertyus. When you guys do a new build of Xash, are your new changes commented to make porting to the new version easier?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 09:24:55 AM by James »

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 01:21:23 PM »
At this moment Xash3D is kinda almost finished project. All things, planned by Unkle Mike, were done, and currently engine will only be updated on requests of critical bug reports. Or, maybe if precise information about prediction system (or its source codes) will be released. The engine can be updated also, if any serious project, based on Xash3D (or on Xash Mod), will require some fixes for proper support of its new extended features. But for such type of fixes you have to discuss your problems personally with Unkle Mike.

You can also use Xash3D source codes (from xash_extras.rar) to create a custom build of engine with all changes that you need.

And as I say, Unkle Mike is ready to help with porting of CoF (at least its' singleplayer part) on Xash (and make a considerable part of coding work for this), this is only a question of having of required source codes. Anyways, I'm not a coder, but only a tester, so please contact to Unkle Mike with such type of proposal.

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 12:29:38 AM »
D3ads:
Xash3D doesn't contain any part of code for direct using of bump or specular maps and so on. Same is for Xash Mod. But you can try to write your own graphics module for such type of effects (like in HLFX, PARANOIA or in Cry of Fear).

But doesn't Xash support Paranoia? I want to be able to port Paranoia code over to Xash with added effects if possible.

I'm not a coder so I have no idea about that kind of stuff, it would be awesome to have bump and specular on both world brushes and models though and maybe soft shadows in the future...

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 02:26:28 AM »
You can use any mod with Xash, that's the point of it. Xash is the engine and Paranoia is a mod, therefore you can play Paranoia in Xash.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »
Yep, Paranoia should work. It's included in the list of TCs that successfully run in Xash: http://www.moddb.com/engines/xash3d-engine/features/list-of-tested-half-life-singleplayer-mods

Qwertyus

• Roach
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 12:25:28 PM »
Yes, Paranoia & HLFX-based renders are supported. You can get some problems with Arrangement (especiallly Arrange Mod) render (some FX can work not as they intended), and with Trinity render (old versions are supported, newest aren't because of crashing on some FX).