News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Far Cry 3  (Read 1622 times)

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Far Cry 3
« on: December 27, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
After a shitty first hour, then a meh second hour this game becomes extremely pro. After such a bad start I'm glad I put the time into this!

Before anyone considers buying this, I feel compelled to point out a laundry list of stuff:

The first hour of the game is spent on unskippable cutscenes and a forced stealth section. It's a really bad introduction to the game - the characters suck, you get wubwub in your face; you get a game over if you're seen during the stealth section and you have no guns. There's no way around saying just how terrible this really is.

Once you start the second hour of gameplay, you start getting guns and stuff. The problem here is that the game doesn't explain any of it's huge RPG elements to you at all well - so to save people banging their heads with frustration, here's a compendium of points which I consider to be essential to enjoying the game:

1. Travel to marked radio masts - doing this will display terrain / interesting features on your map. It's pretty much essential for planning your assaults.
2. HOARD loads of green leaf plants, these can be crafted into medkits. Yellow leaf plants are also good to hoard, since they let you see animals through walls / terrain etc.
3. Sell all the random junk you pick up from corpses / loot containers, otherwise your inventory will quickly fill up.
4. Check the "Crafting" tab in the game menu. See which animals you need to kill in order to make wallets / ammo pouches / holsters / syringe holders. This stuff is pretty important since the game only gives you meagre slots to begin with. Expect this to take up 90% of your gameplay time :P

As I said above, Yellow Plants let you see animals through walls / etc so using those greatly speeds this stuff up.

5. Capture enemy outposts. These are shown on your map with Red Flags, capturing these allow you to fast travel to a location & have a handy weapon stash.
6. Work on the Assassination sidemissions to quickly level up your XP (they're also kind of fun). Do scope out an enemy camp to flag up all the NPCs, the game insists you knife the base leader (who will have a thunderbolt icon above his head).
7. Work on the Animal Assassination sidemissions. These are HARD since you're usually only allowed to use a bow and arrow to complete these. On the plus side, you get some nice rewards (XP, special pelts for equipment).

For weapons I recommend buying the MP5; M14 or FAMAS; Grenade Launcher; Bolt-action Sniper. Then stick silencers + optics on all them for manly stealth + increased accuracy  :sagan:

So yeah, once you have all this stuff in order and have got used to the mechanics it is a lot of fun to play. Just be prepared for a game which is more RPG-ish than Borderlands :X  All in all though it's much more fun than Far Cry 2: gunplay is massively improved; there are some of the best stealth mechanics seen outside of MGS; NPC vehicles are much less deadly (or annoying); and the introduction of dangerous animals makes the gameplay much more varied.

Animals appear marked on the HUD:

The game looks nice and has good performance, better than BF3

Rather than telling you useful things, most of the hints are pretty useless.

You actually get COLOUR in this game. Weapons also don't degrade, this is much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 02:30:35 PM by Alex »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
Re: Far Cry 3
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:21:00 PM »

lol what settings?

Carnevil44

• Roach
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 03:34:52 AM »
I actually really loved Far Cry 3s story  :joebiden:

Btw Alex, we still gotta get FC3s co-op to work >B(
[NaH] clan is best clan 4 lyfe

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:42 AM »
lol what settings?
Just the default ones actually, I didn't bother changing them. It looks fine in game tbh :B

Btw Alex, we still gotta get FC3s co-op to work >B(
Yeah we do. I'd also like to see if you can make coop maps, that could be awesome.
I know you can at least make SP maps, I should sit down one day and see what I can come up with.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 12:02:12 AM »
Looks like shit on those settings, I'm with Spork on this one. Hard to see how that goes for good graphic settings.

Also, I loved weapon degradation in the second one.

Probably play it next year when its on sale for $5 like I did with FC2.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »
FC3 looks surprisingly bad even on highest settings, everything 25 meters in front of you is lodded to shit and then blurred in a poor attempt to make it look acceptable.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 12:22:59 PM »
Well I guess at least it's optimized, the one benefit of everything being console ports is that I don't need to upgrade my computer anywhere near as often  :joebiden:

Also, I loved weapon degradation in the second one.
It was a nice feature, but it happened way too frequently for my liking.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
So apparently the story in the game isn't "bad", the writer went on to say that it's "an artistic expression of an anthropomorphized gun which the player represents, and they develop in the same way that a gun gets upgrades". Of course that's not a pretentious way of admitting to the story being shit :V

"the people are called the Rakyat, which means “the people.” It’s the laziest name for a tribe ever, they’re not real, they’re a metaphor. People need to be looking at the names of these things." Hipsters need to die and stop clogging up my FPS games ;(

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »
Well fuck I thought I was playing a nice sandbox FPS with nice characters and not a stupid half-assed stupid story telling about a white man killing every single fucking thing that's isn't a white human on fucking island that's suppose to metaphor progress or some shit, oh well my bad, back to playing Call of Cthulhu

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 08:24:27 PM »
You get proficient at killing people by killing people. So profound. :sagan:
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:26:24 PM by Sporkeh »

Carnevil44

• Roach
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »
Just played co-op with Alex

He was lagging really badly and I was knocked down every three minutes or so  :coolbiden:
[NaH] clan is best clan 4 lyfe

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 09:11:47 PM »
Most broken thing I ever played. I seriously hope they patch COOP up and make the menu actually intuitive to use, spending 10 minutes trying to figure out how to START THE GAME is pretty balls.

Then in game you get HUGE messages everytime you get a headshot, it actually is just like the BLOODYSCREENSOREAL parody.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 10:16:53 PM »
Broken wrist syndrome.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »
Should get together for a coop game sometime!

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:48:35 PM »
Can do if other people are gay for this? We'll spend about 20 minutes in menu hell first, but afterwards we'll be good to go.

Finished the main story missions earlier. I'm really not sure how to feel... there was a lot of cool stuff (some good missions, great shooting mechanics and sandbox) but also a lot of bad stuff (linear missions, unskippable cutscenes etc). I would love to see a DLC with a new island that addresses the shortcomings of the game whilst delivering a lot of fun - there's certainly the potential there to do it.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
Can do if other people are gay for this? We'll spend about 20 minutes in menu hell first, but afterwards we'll be good to go.

Finished the main story missions earlier. I'm really not sure how to feel... there was a lot of cool stuff (some good missions, great shooting mechanics and sandbox) but also a lot of bad stuff (linear missions, unskippable cutscenes etc). I would love to see a DLC with a new island that addresses the shortcomings of the game whilst delivering a lot of fun - there's certainly the potential there to do it.

Hit me up on Skype or Steam chat sometime.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 10:04:29 PM »
Will do. Had a weird thing today where Uplay was flagged as a trojan, anyone else find this?