News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Custom Player Model Problems (Problem Solved)  (Read 1953 times)

Norman The Loli Pirate

• Pit Drone
  • Los! Los! Los!
Custom Player Model Problems (Problem Solved)
« on: March 08, 2016, 01:34:51 PM »
You can tell I haven't done a whole lot with player models.  :suicide:
The problem was with the skeleton, Sven (and probably Half-Life/any other multiplayer mods) seems to be really picky with bone order/placement
and since my player model didn't have moving fingers/eyes/mouth/facial features, that seems to have broke how the animations blended.

Reposting this here because the Sven Co-op forums are less active.

So I decided out of sheer boredom to make my own player model.
I used Sven Co-op's helmet model as a base, decompiled it using mdldec.exe, hacked up a model, rigged it and compiled it using studiomdl.exe, so far so good.
Here's the problem:

For some reason the animation aren't blending properly/together causing the arms to be in weird positions when doing any two actions. (like couching and shooting or running and shooting)
I've tried using milkshape 3D's model decompiler/compiler, using different player models from Sven, but the outcome is the same.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 06:38:50 PM by Norman The Loli Pirate »
Signatures are for nerds

Thomas

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
Re: Custom Player Model Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:48:15 PM »
If all you have been using is the MS3D provided decompiler and compiler that would be your problem right there. It's pretty limited in what it can actually do.

Norman The Loli Pirate

• Pit Drone
  • Los! Los! Los!
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 05:28:52 PM »
If all you have been using is the MS3D provided decompiler and compiler that would be your problem right there. It's pretty limited in what it can actually do.

I'm using the ones for Jed's Half-Life Model Viewer, I tried Milkshape's but the outcome was the same.
Signatures are for nerds

Geter Priffin

• Combine
  • SUCK ON THIS YOU FURRY LITTLE WEIRDO'S
    • www.titsassesanddicks.cum
Re: Custom Player Model Problems (Problem Solved)
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 08:50:55 PM »
You Should use XASH StudioMDL: http://hl.gamebanana.com/tools/5094

I Had little to no Problems using this and it's way more Superior than the Default HLMV/MS3D Compiler.

It's, Beautiful.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »

I'm using the ones for Jed's Half-Life Model Viewer, I tried Milkshape's but the outcome was the same.

You need to pick up some custom model compiler/decompilers, I forget which ones. Thomas, do we have a tools section on HLC?

This is one tool that ought to help a little http://cs.gamebanana.com/tools/5478

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:36:47 PM »

I Had little to no Problems using this and it's way more Superior than the Default HLMV/MS3D Compiler.

So this thing supports higher-resolutions and such. I assume that'll only work in Xash, and not in goldsrc?

Thomas

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »

So this thing supports higher-resolutions and such. I assume that'll only work in Xash, and not in goldsrc?

I was thinking the same thing Spork. Haven't had the chance to play with it but I guess the test would be easy enough. I suspect that it would be restricted to Xash.

Geter Priffin

• Combine
  • SUCK ON THIS YOU FURRY LITTLE WEIRDO'S
    • www.titsassesanddicks.cum
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:45:13 PM »

I was thinking the same thing Spork. Haven't had the chance to play with it but I guess the test would be easy enough. I suspect that it would be restricted to Xash.
No its not Restricted to Xash, Models will Work fine if their Textures aren't set Higher than 512x512.

It's, Beautiful.