News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Learning to edit QC files headswap need help!  (Read 4108 times)

coldroll

• Soldier
  • We remember the freeman!
Learning to edit QC files headswap need help!
« on: April 13, 2016, 07:15:31 PM »
Hello coldroll here I haven't been on this site in three years and I have just come back again. I need help learning how to edit the QC files of models. To start off with I'm trying to change the head of the barney on the right with the head of the barney on the left. I've tried to change the head using a tutorial I found on a different website but once I did the steps in this guide http://twhl.info/tutorial.php?id=69 and I go to compile the model nothing happens! What could I be doing wrong? Here's the model files I edited as well as the QC file. Could somebody point out what I did wrong and help show me the right way to compile the model? Any help would be appreciated thank you. Here's a link to the files: http://www.filedropper.com/barneymodels 

Also the Barney file I edited is called Barney new while the other model is called Barney old. In the QC file of the barney new file I changed the barney head reference file line with : $body "heads" "barney_head_white_ref" to $body "head" "barney_head_helmet_ref. I then placed the old barney reference file without the quotations called "barney_head_helmet_ref.smd" in the new barney folder. Then when I attempt to compile the model with Jed's hlmv nothing changes when it is done compilling. Hopefully you talented modders can help me learn how to do this hope to hear from you.

If You’re Going Through Hell, Keep Going!-Winston Churchill

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
Re: Learning to edit QC files headswap need help!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
Create a bat file that forces the compiler to pause after it is done running, it will tell you if there are errors in compiling or if there is another issue.

"c:/path/to/studiomdl.exe"  %1
pause

Type that into notepad, save as all files and call it Compile.bat

Drop your QC file onto the CMD as you would studiomdl itself; it's essentially a shortcut to the executable.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:39:03 PM »
Okay I'll try that thanks for responding.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 08:59:41 PM »
It won't work but I was able to see the there is a error message after watching closely 10 times saying face7.bmp not found do you have to copy the textures of the head and face to the new model as well when you edit the qc file?

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 03:58:39 AM »
It won't work but I was able to see the there is a error message after watching closely 10 times saying face7.bmp not found do you have to copy the textures of the head and face to the new model as well when you edit the qc file?

Yes, all textures and smds need to be in the same directory as the qc file.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 02:25:08 PM »
I guess we'll see if it works with the other smd's from the other model I included the other models textures and it still doesn't work.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:01 PM »
You transferred the reference smd of the model you want, but not the textures it uses. Copy face7.bmp, helm3.bmp, barney_helmet3.bmp, and ID3.bmp from "barney old" to "barney new". After that you'll also need to merge the hands from the original (barney_head_white_ref) into the new (barney_head_helmet_ref) head model.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 03:34:50 PM »
You transferred the reference smd of the model you want, but not the textures it uses. Copy face7.bmp, helm3.bmp, barney_helmet3.bmp, and ID3.bmp from "barney old" to "barney new". After that you'll also need to merge the hands from the original (barney_head_white_ref) into the new (barney_head_helmet_ref) head model.

Okay I did that and I also transferred the barney old smd's to the barney new folder and I get this error message:
(How do you merge the barney_head_white_ref) into the (barney_head_helmet_ref)? Also do you guys know of any visual guides for qc editing? I'm more of a visual learner as such and I find visual guides easier to learn then written guides although I'm starting to somewhat understand it now.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 11:04:18 AM »
You guys still here?

Lateralus

• Combine
  • Love Today, and seize All Tomorrows!
    • www.titsassesanddicks.cum
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 02:05:13 PM »
Looks like you'll have to Re-Rig with a 3d Modeling Program.
A Billion Year Chronicle of the Myriad Species and Varying Fortunes of Man.

"We must come to the point where we realize the concept of race is a false one. There is only one race, the human race." -Dan Aykroyd

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 03:55:49 PM »
Looks like you'll have to Re-Rig with a 3d Modeling Program.
Now I'm really confused, so just because I want to change the head I have to re rig the entire model? Or did I do something wrong? I thought the models use the same bones!?! What do the hands have to do with the head model? Also what would be a good program to buy in order to do that?

After that you'll also need to merge the hands from the original (barney_head_white_ref) into the new (barney_head_helmet_ref) head model.

How would I merge both of the head textures together?

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 05:30:28 AM »
Not all models use the same bones.

That being said, bboxes can if I recall, sometimes be safely deleted from the QC file and you can attempt a compile without them. These two barney models should have the same skeleton...

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
Strange for some reason this Security guard model just doesn't want to cooperate I did it on a hecu soldier and it seems to work fine I'll upload some pictures later.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 02:28:26 PM »
Strange for some reason this Security guard model just doesn't want to cooperate I did it on a hecu soldier and it seems to work fine I'll upload some pictures later.

I just read Sporkeh's post a bit closer, apparently there are some inconsistencies between the two compiles, as in, one of the head references also contains hands. Bottom line is, this is a bit more than a qc file manipulation, you need to edit the models themselves (smd files) using Milkshape 3D or a nicer program.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2016, 02:29:59 PM »
That's what I was thinking I thought something weird was going on when I saw the bone error on the compile.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2016, 03:54:11 PM »
Both models use the same rig, so nothing needs to be re-rigged. Barney_head_white_ref.smd (old) contains the head, ID patch, and the hand models. Barney_head_helmet_ref.smd (new) contains only the head and ID patch.

The compiler gets rid of any bones that do not have any vertices assigned to them. The new reference doesn't have the hand models, so the bones for it get removed while compiling. The compiler tries to create hitboxes for the hand bones (as is described in the qc with the lines $hbox 4 "Bip01 L Hand" 0.000000 -1.320000 -2.290000 4.660000 2.600000 1.650000, and $hbox 5 "Bip01 R Hand" 0.000000 -1.320000 -2.910000 10.380000 3.230000 4.000000), but can't find them. Hence the error.

To fix this you will need to include the hands from barney_head_white_ref in barney_head_helmet_ref. You can do this by opening barney_head_white_ref in milkshape, delete everything except for the hands, and export it as hands.smd. Reset milkshape and import barney_head_helmet_ref. Now import hands.smd. Export the result as barney_head_helmet_ref.smd, overwriting the original. Compile.

/e http://mrl.nyu.edu/~dzorin/ig06/lecture22/modeling.pdf - starting page 42
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 04:02:31 PM by Sporkeh »

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »
Okay thanks for showing me how to merge the barney hand models together I don't have Milk shape at the moment but I'm thinking of buying it! Does it work with Windows 10? Also I decided to modify the HECU soldier from Diamond's model pack that came out almost eight years ago. I'm currently attaching parts of this Opposing force Hecu soldier model from the Opposing Force Redux mod. So far I've given him a watch from the Redux model changed his weapon to a lr300 assault rifle with an mp5 instead.

I'm just taking baby steps at qc editing so far, but I've learned alot so far thanks for the help! Here's an image.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
Milkshape, from my experience is pretty forgiving when it comes to operating systems. I've ran it on Windows 10.

coldroll

• Soldier
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »
I bought it four days ago and it works great thanks for the help!