News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES  (Read 897 times)

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES
« on: October 29, 2013, 03:54:18 PM »
I've never had this before, so I have no idea what the Hell the deal is, the ZHLT description does not help me out one iota...

MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES

There isn't any way to add more nodes or clipnodes to the bsp's (its already maxed out). However, at least clipnodes can be reduced with a bit of work.

When the maps are compiled all the 3D 'space' a player can get to is broken up into convex regions just like brushes are required to be. A lot of them are extremely small or too small for a player, and if you put a CLIP brush over them they don't become clipnodes at all (well really there are still a few intersecting the brush on its surfaces, but the brush can be excluding dozens or hundreds of them at a time).

If the world has had a 'box' placed around it to prevent leaks, its probably causing several thousand (if not 10000+) extraneous nodes and clipnodes to be caused, not only wasting resources but will cause vis to work a lot harder than it needs to. An example map is available, demonstrating how it is possible to reduce the clipnodes in a map. Without the CLIP brush in place, the map requires over a hundred more clipnodes to define the player-accessable space.

.....yeah, the fuck does any of that mean? I don't even have any clip brushes in the map and I don't have a big box surrounding the map! I'm really pissed off right now, because I can't compile the assembly map anymore! This had better not mean I can't finish it, I've almost finished the building!

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Re: MAX_MAP_CLIPNODES
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »
Ah BSP error reports. How I do not miss these.

Quick bit of googling turned up this:
If you have any really complex brushwork in the map, just get put clip brushes around things you don't want the player to walk on. those help with clipnodes immensely, as half life doesn't like non-square things.
I'm not sure if it'll help out or not, but it might well do.

Megan

• Baby Gargantua
  • #fartbag
    • Vera Visions
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 01:30:42 AM »
Do you bevel or null faces the player doesn't see?

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 09:36:14 AM »
Ah BSP error reports. How I do not miss these.

Quick bit of googling turned up this:
If you have any really complex brushwork in the map, just get put clip brushes around things you don't want the player to walk on. those help with clipnodes immensely, as half life doesn't like non-square things.
I'm not sure if it'll help out or not, but it might well do.

I should have said that this was at midnight and I was going to bed after I did a quick compile. Then this happened and I got all worried and just posted this here just in case I could get a quick reply because I didn't have time to sit down and look into it right then...

Anyway, seems on further investigation that one of the causes is what you've mentioned, can also be caused by too many areas the player can't get to being rendered (fixed with null/bevel) but then I realised that although I don't have a box around the whole map, I do have a box surrounding the building BUT this is just because the map is a test map for compiles as I usually work on the building in one rmf and then copy+paste into another for in-game testing.

I've fixed it anyhow.. I realised that all the cylinders were func_wall including the dome base that the player can never get to, so I changed all of them func_illusionary and added clip brushes to the ones that the player touches and it works again now.

Apparently if that isn't done, clipnodes can be increased a thousand fold meaning the max limit is reached in no time! This is all new to me...

Do you bevel or null faces the player doesn't see?

Null yes, always!

Megan

• Baby Gargantua
  • #fartbag
    • Vera Visions
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 12:10:07 PM »
If you want to cut down on clipnodes to avoid this error, use bevel instead of null for complex objects and objects that the player can't access.

I personally only use bevel exclusively, and I've never really ran into many strange clipping problems.