News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Substance Painter... or the core stuff I've learned  (Read 1779 times)

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Substance Painter... or the core stuff I've learned
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:07:14 PM »
I've been using this recently, and while it took a little while to get my head around my god is it so much better than Photoshop or dDo. Anyway, I just wanted to share the core things I've learned from it.

The interface
This is similar-ish to Zbrush, but without the clunk or general horribleness. Press F2 or F3 to switch between focusing on cycling between the 2D / 3D views.

1. At the bottom of the screen you'll see the Shelf which is basically where alphas go (drag and drop here).
2. To the right of that are brushes (these work in the same way as photoshop, you can set random rotation etc).
3. Layers are found in the top right side of the UI - note that folders default to NORMAL instead of PASSTHROUGH which is a little derpy, but otherwise layers function exactly like photoshop right down to blending options.
4. Properties (bottom right of the screen) are where you'll find brush settings, material settings (ie PBR values and normal values)

Key hotkeys for the UI are
[ to shrink brushes
] to grow brushes
D for lazy mouse (works like in Zbrush)
LMB then SHIFT then LMB = a nice straight line that you click from point to point. I wish photoshop had this :B

One other neat shortcut - edge wear.
This seems to work a lot better than dDo and saves a lot of time.
1. Go to viewer settings, click BAKE TEXTURES to produce AO and Curvature maps (don't worry about these, SP will do magic behind the scenes with them)
2. Make a fill layer (paint pot icon in LAYERS), this will be the clean paint layer. Click on a material to straight apply it to the fill layer.
3. Make another fill layer, this should use a rough metal (or whatever) material. Again, choose one from the materials tab.
4. Right click the fill layer from 3, click ADD BLACK MASK. Right click again, then click ADD GENERATOR.
5. Go to the properties tab, then Generators subcategory, and choose one of the edge wear generators.
6. ????
7. SHIT LOOKS AWESOME.

TLDR, this is easy when you get used to it.

More details can be found in the official tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCx994Cb7iRFSmupYHFw5DTx