News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [HL/SC] Maestro Fénix's Alien Controller  (Read 272 times)

Maestro Fénix

• Roach
  • Yet another modder
[HL/SC] Maestro Fénix's Alien Controller
« on: October 07, 2018, 05:34:53 AM »

Maestro Fénix's Alien Controller

I was disappointed that after all these years only Sproily and DiamonD did a new model, but I'm not a fan of it ( because not only due the noise and the orange tone that have their textures, but also because it has zero detail at the brain), until BMS did their own ( and then Human Error did as well, but lets gonna say...is too different ).

So, I just took the original model, raised the polys, did new UV maps, made bigger the textures with Waifu2x ( such blessed tool ) and rolled all of them into three-four textures. Also added eyes and made the prong part of the brain to glow ( although in vanilla HL this effect will be affected due the environment effect ).

The only negative aspect is that due GoldSource not tolerating multiple vertex per bone when rigging, there are times where it may look bad ( mostly the dead animation, but it may happen in between frames ).

Feel free to use this on your own mods / packs or even to further improve it, just credit me.

An skilled 2D artist would take advantage of the new UV maps to make fully new textures of it, a thing that sadly I have not yet the skill to pull it off with professional results...

Credits:
Valve - Original Alien Controller model
Maestro Fénix - Mesh improvement, new UV maps, "improved" textures

Special Thanks:
The303 - Help with export release

FPSBanana mirror:

MediaFire mirror:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/4z84tl2f695pyci/maestro_fenix_alien_controller.7z/file

Norman The Loli Pirate

• Pit Drone
  • Los! Los! Los!
Re: [HL/SC] Maestro Fénix's Alien Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 06:22:16 PM »
I'm gonna be turbo nerd and give you my honest opinion.

The increased poly count is barely noticeable in most areas and where it is noticeable it's worse then the original model, pointed ends like the fingers and the crotch rag are weirdly formed and there's overall more noticeable breakage when moving (it's really bad on the head).

The only good thing I can say about the textures is that since they are on power of two maps the version of OpenGL that Steam Half-Life uses won't resize them, so technically they'll look better then the LD model's, But since you just upscaled with no further edits the textures they look blotchy and grainy. It also would have been better to stick the body and head onto one map and have the insides of the head on another, both of them being no bigger then 256x256, the current maps are a mess with lots of wasted space and colors.
Chrome eyes should be illegal. :cop:

More polys and upscaled textures a better model it does not make.
Signatures are for nerds

Maestro Fénix

• Roach
  • Yet another modder
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 04:58:09 AM »
The increased poly count is barely noticeable in most areas and where it is noticeable it's worse then the original model, pointed ends like the fingers and the crotch rag are weirdly formed and there's overall more noticeable breakage when moving (it's really bad on the head).

Yes indeed. While the Source version doesn't suffer this problem, the GoldSrc one had to be rerigged quickly ( or better said, automatically by Milkshape 3D since Blender lately have problems with exported SMDs for GoldSrc ) due the vertex rig limit, which leads to that. This release was more of a little gift than anything else since I did it for Source and since it was just there,  I wanted to make it available for GoldSrc as well.

The only good thing I can say about the textures is that since they are on power of two maps the version of OpenGL that Steam Half-Life uses won't resize them, so technically they'll look better then the LD model's, But since you just upscaled with no further edits the textures they look blotchy and grainy.
Consequences of having little to zero skills at 2D art, I just took the original textures because is what I had at hand.

I thought at first asking Sproily and DiamonD for their textures of their version and then modify them to my needs, but I didn't want to wait more for a 30 min job, that's what it is actually this version ( which is not even an excuse ).

It also would have been better to stick the body and head onto one map and have the insides of the head on another, both of them being no bigger then 256x256,
You would lose quality by fusing both in a single texture, and more being only 256x, but I agree that the brain could be either smaller or just within an existing texture.
( It would be debatable if it would really matter with the original textures since they are just upscaled, but with a full new one it would for sure happen ).

the current maps are a mess with lots of wasted space and colors
I could have done better with the UV maps, I give it. Since I focused on trying to reuse the original textures, I sticked on adapting the old UV configuration when a fully new one would have been way better, especially with the head texture. Then again I had no time to remake the textures.

Chrome eyes should be illegal. :cop:
I swear I tried, but god, neither the original ones or custom made textures looked good, so I just went with the "classic" solution.

Thanks for the feedback, I will try to improve it but considering I have a map and some code on my ToDo list, is gonna be a miracle if it happens before the year ends.
But for sure I gonna do it, at least attempt to fix the rig and the finger/cloth parts, as well as attempting again to integrate the eyes directly into the mesh rather than being separate ( it was turning too poly on the cuts it was making and I just went the fastest route ).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 05:21:11 AM by Maestro Fénix »

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:30 AM »
Always exciting to see content released and cheers to Norman for keeping it constructive. Seems like a good exchange between people. :coolbiden: