News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [WIP] Duck_Hunt  (Read 1968 times)

hydeph

• Scientists
    • hydeph
[WIP] Duck_Hunt
« on: February 18, 2007, 10:35:39 PM »
I was shooting squirrels in my back yard one fine autumn day when I thought to myself 'Hey, this would make a decent gimmick map.' So I opened Hammer. Couple weeks later I'm here. I've worked on it off and on and I'm pretty close to releasing it.

This is based on my back yard, but the gameplay is as true to the original Duck Hunt as I could make it.

You stand on my back deck, and shoot at alien controllers that spawn a little past the shrubs/treeline.

(notice no treetops)

I have made a building to house the weapons and ammo, so I spiced it up by adding some photography from my garden. When I was doing this I happened to be listening to Amon Tobin - One Day in my Garden, so I figured the song fit pretty well and I added it.

I also have made an ammo dispenser and a counting machine that counts up and destroys 'entities' (game_counter, two game_text and the multimanager) as you complete the level.

(this is a test map for faster compiles)

Currently there are 15 levels, each represented by a strip of 4 entities (actually func_breakables), as you complete each level (killing the ducks) each level is destroyed. I plan on adding a boss, but I am undecided as to what sort of boss.

(and here, treetops.. do they look bad? I think they need to be more varied along the top edge to make it look more natural)

Here is a little beta you can test out with SvenCoop3.0. I know there are some bugs, so if you could point them out to me I'd be grateful. If you are missing jungle45.wad, it can be found here http://hydeph.cs-irc.com/files/jungle45.wad

http://hydeph.cs-irc.com/files/duck_hunt.rar

current known bugs
- the tree foliage clips along the treeline
- the monsters kinda get stuck around the trees
- shooting sometimes doesn't really work
- slight clipping on m40a1 v_ model, can be seen when running

thoughts, comments, suggestions, opinions and constructive criticism welcome and appreciated
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:00:55 AM by hydeph »

for great justice

cSMG

• Scientists
Re: [WIP] Duck_Hunt
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 06:46:18 AM »
This looks very well done. I've always loved Nintedo's stuff so this map is really appealing to me. :)