News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: BSR - Awakening!  (Read 305713 times)

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
BSR - Awakening!
« on: November 17, 2008, 01:27:55 PM »
Hey guys! Having abandoned HIT forums, I have decided to make this my new home.

As most of you are aware, I am producing a Blue Shift Pack. Recent happenings have me make the project's name to Blue Shift : Reassignment. Be prepared for awesome.

Also, I have decided to take out my HL pack out of the Blue Shift's pack subject. As in, there will be new model concepts and replacements, and better NPC models. Also, lurking in the shadows is a special surprise I'm sure many of you will love. Stay tuned on the project's progress!

I am free to take any suggestions. Come on down to the shooting range and give it to me straight!

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
Re: BSR - Awakening!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:17:14 AM »
SURPRISE FTW 'nuff said.

Btw, I guess I'll move on to HLC too.  :-X

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 04:19:01 AM »
Hehe, good idea!

I see on the HIT forums you guys have a tool to convert the BS maps to HL map format.  What's different about the map format?

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Combine
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 05:15:12 AM »
Ahhh, HIT's lovely raage..er.. admin.. has done a fiiiine job, I see.

:P

( Enough ragging on DAZA, I agree.)

I see on the HIT forums you guys have a tool to convert the BS maps to HL map format.  What's different about the map format?

Not entirely sure, but I do know Gearbox didn't bother to port BS to HL format, leaving it on the Decay/PS2 format.

I'd assume easier to edit with Hammer, but IDK.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 06:44:15 AM »
I would suggest adding a proper M4 to the game, since Gearbox were going to add an M4 to Blue Shift (hence the HD model) but for reasons unknown they didn't f-ing code it in.

I see you have an M4 model, why not code the M4 to have greater accuracy, a higher ROF and it's own ammo pool?  That would be epic lulz.

Also, if you're able to use BSPEdit, why not add some HGrunts with Sniper Rifles?

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 07:35:53 AM »
Zxeno Prophet is coding a M4 and MP5; the M4 will hopefully have a burst fire capability and grenade launcher, while the MP5 will have a fully automatic capability sans M203. Zxeno was in the army and I trust he knows alot more about guns than I do :P

I decided to cease placing a Sniper in the game, since there aren't too many areas or large distances for sniping.

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:59:49 PM »
Oh, no sniper  :'(
I looked forward to use it in "Captive Freight", in the train yard chapter of BS, and also on XEN. Btw, There aren't many open spaced / long range shooting in Op4 neither, but still there is a sniper rifle.

Yay, for M4 AND Mp5 ! What Ideas do you have for secondary fire on the Mp5 ?

Nige111

• NS Project
  • Zombie
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 01:05:30 PM »
Fire selection tbh.

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:50:17 AM »
I don't think that fits too well into HL/BS.
I want more creative Ideas !!
Maybe a laser like the Op4 D-eagle ?

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 10:35:09 AM »

So according to you, to copy is more creative???

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 11:13:29 AM »
I would rather have something more functional like a scope, or the ability to remove / add a silencer.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 12:25:11 PM »
Zxeno Prophet is coding a M4 and MP5; the M4 will hopefully have a burst fire capability and grenade launcher, while the MP5 will have a fully automatic capability sans M203. Zxeno was in the army and I trust he knows alot more about guns than I do :P

I decided to cease placing a Sniper in the game, since there aren't too many areas or large distances for sniping.

I wasn't in the Army, I worked for a company that is working for the army (mostly the French army) that's quite different, but I was mostly surrounded  by former soldier and officer, and my tasks forced me to learn a lot about weapons and everything related to army.

Anyway just to let you guys know, the 'new' weapons coding is doing pretty well (even if it's the first time I use the HL SDK), the MP5 has no longer the M203 and is more accurate, the M4/M203 is almost working.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 02:44:05 PM by The zxeno prophet »

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 01:20:49 PM »
Just a fyi, the Deagle is not going to be like the O4 deagle. Deagles can hold 9 .357 bullets in a single clip, so I'm deciding to have the same ammo pool with simply 3 more bullets in the mag.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:27:05 PM by DiamonD »

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 07:17:15 PM »

I wasn't in the Army, I worked for a company that is working for the army (mostly the French army) that's quite different, but I was mostly surrounded  by former soldier and officer, and my tasks forced me to learn a lot about weapons and everything related to army.

Anyway just to let you guys know, the 'new' weapons coding is doing pretty well (even if it's the first time I use the HL SDK), the MP5 has no longer the M203 and is more accurate, the M4/M203 is almost working.

FYI, M4's dont generally have burst, unless its an odd trigger sear, it would be best to have the MP5 with the burst.

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2008, 07:34:45 AM »
But M16s do ,right ?
Maybe you should have a M16/M203 instead of the M4 if you want a burst mode. Would just use a (slightly) different model.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 09:08:04 AM »
A2s and mebe A4s, but le A2 only has single and burst, not DA FULL OTTO.

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 05:14:52 AM »
M4 : semi/3 rounds burst (commonly used by US soldier)
M4A1 : semi/full auto (mostly spec ops with the SopMod Block1)

M16 and M16 A1 : semi / full auto
M16 A2 : semi / 3 rounds burst (still used by US Coast gard, US Navy and US Air Force )
M16 A3 : semi / full auto
M16 A4 : semi / burst fire + picatiny rail (use by US Marines)

Hope that make everything clear to anybody

EDIT :
We choose M4/M203 and mp5 on full auto, for game balance reason. Since the m4 is more powerful (thanks to its 7.62 5.56mm cartridges and its M203) than the mp5, we wanted to ensure that players will still using both guns. Plus the mp5 is more accurate, more or less recoilless, but not that powerful. The point is, mp5 is a CQC weapon (Close Quarter Combat, inside a corridor for example) , you can aim fast and precisely. In bigger
battle you need more firepower than accuracy, the M4 is perfect for those combats.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:47:51 AM by The zxeno prophet »

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2008, 06:48:14 AM »
There is a plain M4 with just semi/burst fire?  Whats the point in that?!  The M4 is meant to be used for close-medium range combat, semi/burst fire isn't enough for that range you need the full auto.

I hope you guys keep the M4 full auto!

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2008, 06:58:15 AM »
Well I was editing my post, when you answered read above :P

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2008, 07:42:29 AM »
I should point out that the M4 is 5.56mm only :P
The M14 and the SCAR are the only 7.62mm auto rifles I know of which the US uses (the SCAR being in limited use right now, but should appear more in future years).

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »

... Plus the mp5 is more accurate, more or less recoilless, but not that powerful. The point is, mp5 is a CQC weapon (Close Quarter Combat, inside a corridor for example) , you can aim fast and precisely. ...
You mean the Mp5 is more Precise/accurate than the M4 ? I would bet that the M4 is much more accurate IRL.

Greer

• Combine
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »

... Plus the mp5 is more accurate, more or less recoilless, but not that powerful. The point is, mp5 is a CQC weapon (Close Quarter Combat, inside a corridor for example) , you can aim fast and precisely. ...
You mean the Mp5 is more Precise/accurate than the M4 ? I would bet that the M4 is much more accurate IRL.

I guess he meant that with its low recoil it will be more accurate.
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
I should point out that the M4 is 5.56mm only :P
The M14 and the SCAR are the only 7.62mm auto rifles I know of which the US uses (the SCAR being in limited use right now, but should appear more in future years).
True the M4 is 5.56 mm my bad, but the SCAR has two version the SCAR-L and SCAR-H, the first is firring 5.56 mm and the second one is firring 7.62 OTAN (7.62*51mm) and rumor are talking about SCAR-H being able to fire 7.62*39mm cartridges (AKs ammos !).

True

I guess he meant that with its low recoil it will be more accurate.

And true

The mp5 is consider as more accurate cause of its lightness (is that a real word ?) and its recoilless capabilities.
On an other hand the 5.56*45mm OTAN have more velocity (thanks to their shape and their initial speed and energy), that 'huge' initial energy make it harder for the shooter to hold the gun.

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:14 AM »
Oh, I meant more that, if you compare both weapons in semi automatic, the M4 would be more precise/accurate.

So according to you, to copy is more creative???
well, I just like the laser more  :-[ Fire selecter is for more tactical games than half-life. IMO.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:54:09 AM by Gravewrecker »

Greer

• Combine
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 09:26:09 PM »
I like the idea of M4 and MP5, keep it!By the way...maybe add something like new NPC's?(a few but still... some new in fitting places could be good(even normal OP4/HL NPC's)
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Vulpine Complex

• Administrator
  • Black Op
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 11:53:39 AM »
I'm thinking you guys should at least add some of the Opposing Force weapons. I'm still confused as to why Gearbox didn't.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 04:14:33 PM »
The Ackart is making sense, you know.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 04:32:17 AM »
There is a plain M4 with just semi/burst fire?  Whats the point in that?!

So stupid soldiers won't switch to rock 'n roll when panicking and wasting tons of fucking ammo.

Vulpine Complex

• Administrator
  • Black Op
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 08:45:39 AM »
There is a plain M4 with just semi/burst fire?  Whats the point in that?!

So stupid soldiers won't switch to rock 'n roll when panicking and wasting tons of fucking ammo.

I thought all the M4s were automatic? I know the M16s past A1 were burst only for that exact reason though.

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2008, 06:51:26 PM »
I'm still confused as to why Gearbox didn't.

Maybe they were trying to keep Shephard somewhat unique. If all the other characters were able to use SAWs, Shock Roaches, Baby Stormtroopers, Barnacles, and sniper rifles, he wouldn't be as compelling.

On that note, I've always liked Adrian Shephard a little more than Gordon Freeman and Barney Calhoun. He's the most plausible of them in my eyes. Unlike the others, he has a very clear justification for being able to handle so many strange situations and use such a variety of weapons.

I'd love for him to make a return appearance.

Didn't mean to harp that long. Oops.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 04:34:25 PM by Trilkin »