News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: What do you think was wrong with the original Blue Shift?  (Read 110067 times)

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
What do you think was wrong with the original Blue Shift?
« on: December 14, 2008, 07:45:35 AM »
Being it's own mod, we can do our best to improve gameplay elements of Blue Shift. From many user reviews of this expansion of Half-Life, I find it that alot of people do not like this in comparison to Opposing Force or the original Half-Life.

So far, we have planned to have new weapons and more enemy NPCs.

If you guys have any suggestions as to how to improve the game in terms of gameplay, I will take them into consideration.

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
Re: What do you think was wrong with the original Blue Shift?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 07:55:07 AM »
Quite simple, it was too short :P
So, you probably can't change that.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 08:16:50 AM »
What I disliked about Blue Shift:

It felt really easy, enemies were just the same old HL baddies which everyone knows how to kill with ease.  My suggestion in regards to that would be to add some RaceX aliens, Gonomes or some more varied HGrunts (SAW gunners for one?).

The weapons were just standard HL ones.  Weapons which handle differently would be much more interesting than just remodelling existing weapons... perhaps see if you can "borrow" some elements of AM's weapon system to make them a little more interesting.

In short, the main thing is that Blue Shift really just re-used a lot of stuff from Half-Life, making it feel like a watered down version of HL.  Change the things which were carried over from HL and it will be much better!

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:28:04 AM »
Quite simple, it was too short :P
So, you probably can't change that.
Small posibility to be done, since map transition are done with entity and entities can be changed even inside compiled maps.

It felt really easy, enemies were just the same old HL baddies which everyone knows how to kill with ease.  My suggestion in regards to that would be to add some RaceX aliens, Gonomes or some more varied HGrunts (SAW gunners for one?).

The weapons were just standard HL ones.  Weapons which handle differently would be much more interesting than just remodelling existing weapons... perhaps see if you can "borrow" some elements of AM's weapon system to make them a little more interesting.

In short, the main thing is that Blue Shift really just re-used a lot of stuff from Half-Life, making it feel like a watered down version of HL.  Change the things which were carried over from HL and it will be much better!

We are adding a few new stuff don't worry

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 08:30:26 AM »
Do you think you could add a new water shader?  I know that isn't essential to gameplay, but it would be so sweet :)

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 08:41:27 AM »
To be honest, I'd love to have some effects from the AM engine such as that sex water shader.

My suggestion in regards to that would be to add some RaceX aliens, Gonomes or some more varied HGrunts (SAW gunners for one?).

We are definitely putting in the Shock Troopers, however I haven't given much thought to the Gonomes. I'll definitely consider that. As for the SAW gunners, I'm not sure. I don't want to overload the player with a shitload of weapons, and I think we're all set on weapons for the mod; if I were to add SAW grunts, my consistancy whorism will take over and I'll have to make a SAW replacement for BSR. :[

Well, I don't know. To be honest, I want to keep the Half-Life one feel going. The weapons will have similar dynamics to that of Half-Life 1. We can possibly change the BOB of the weapons to something else; I seriously hate the default HL1 BOB.

This could provide some light: http://am.half-lifecreations.com/forums/index.php?topic=110.0

Anyhoo, thanks for the suggestions guys!

prototstar

• Pit Drone
  • Texture Artist & Map Designer
    • My Devblog
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 06:48:06 AM »
I was hoping for a improved AI, few new weapons, and new npcs. The original barely lack new contents beside new hand, HD models, storyline, and custom maps and new scientist. Gameplay through out the original was short, perhap you can some how lengthen it to include more more mind boggling puzzles or more intense firefight?
Well I didn't do the geo, so :v:.
And if I did, I would've modeled fucking everything.

Amateur Game Modder - http://tuningthedesign.blogspot.com/

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 08:55:48 AM »
Many different random scientists and grunts would be cool. Like a couple of labcoats, like in the dreamcast half-life.

hydeph

• Zombie
    • hydeph
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »
after fighting thru half life and opposing force I wasn't even interested in Blue Shift

what's wrong with it? uh, not much if you compare it to games that came out around the same time, but nowadays it's pretty much obsolete isn't it?

for great justice

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Combine
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »
For the Hgrunt/SAW, my idea:

Replace the Hgrunt with OpFor's Hgrunt_OpFor, then either rig BS arms onto the Redux M249, or port something from CS.

BASICALLY.. I, personally, would like the OpFor weapons at least.. M249 + DE.

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:07:35 AM »
The only wrong thing with BS is that it is too short! ;)
It would be really great to replace the BS Grunts with OP4 Grunts if possible.
There was one scene where the Grunts cut a door in BS.
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »
Are you sure ? Don't you mean Uplink ?
They certaintly cut a door in uplink, but I don't remember this action in blue shift.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 09:52:47 AM »
nude little girls with huge fucking juggs

Thing was/is, IMO, that Blue Shift just felt like more of the same, no really new stuff. Also Barney is a tool.

prototstar

• Pit Drone
  • Texture Artist & Map Designer
    • My Devblog
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:34:41 AM »
I forgot to add that I would like to see moar Gmanz in actions.  ;)
Well I didn't do the geo, so :v:.
And if I did, I would've modeled fucking everything.

Amateur Game Modder - http://tuningthedesign.blogspot.com/

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Combine
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 05:33:36 PM »
Are you sure ? Don't you mean Uplink ?
They certaintly cut a door in uplink, but I don't remember this action in blue shift.

At least two of em, yes.

Power Up, just after you go down the elevator, and very end of BS, after Rosenburg ports out. Toss any satchels you have left + hit the boom button when you hear the door go THUD. :3

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 11:07:07 PM »
Ah, yes, I remember now. Thanks.
Has been too long since i last played blue-shift.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Gman
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 07:24:16 PM »
Hey guys,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, but I have taken everyone's constructive points into consideration, and some already in play! Hope for a media release soon.

Morpheus

• Roach
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 09:59:14 PM »
u shuld ad cs weaps wuld maek ur mod awesum

On a serious note:

I think you should find ways (assuming you're working on maps) to make the environment more unique. Every map is just walls, computers, pipes, sludge, etc, I'd try mixing things around with some additional things, break up the awful monotone map schemes.

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Big Momma
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

On a serious note:

I think you should find ways (assuming you're working on maps) to make the environment more unique. Every map is just walls, computers, pipes, sludge, etc, I'd try mixing things around with some additional things, break up the awful monotone map schemes.
Agreed, Try and Fleshen out the enviroment with little things like pillars or tiled floor with tiles out of the pattern, ect ect...

Trilkin

• HoE Project
  • Combine Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 06:41:14 PM »

There should be a weather balloon full of swamp gas

It's always fun when the player can affect the immediate environment (blow up walls, collapse ceilings to crush enemies, that sort of thing).

sixcentgeorge

• Roach
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »
the mod is great but not as good as op4 , xen is very good after a map or two .
may be they should have created new monsters or even reused the op4 xen ones and for human , create some hev-scientists and barneys like in shl  or pov .
 Do not bump old topics please.