News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: [Mod Teams] SVN now available!  (Read 1782 times)

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
[Mod Teams] SVN now available!
« on: December 31, 2008, 06:53:17 PM »
Hey guys, it's me again. First off, hope you all had a good Christmas. I've been busy stuffing my face with good food and enjoying all my awesome gifts, but now I've finally got back to work on HLC.

As I mentioned in a previous post, Half-Life Creations is now offering free Subversion to those who require it. In case you've forgotten, here's what SVN is in a nutshell:

SVN

Subversion (abbreviated SVN) is an open source version control system that facilitates source code development by multiple software developers across time and location. SVN helps resolve a number of issues that multi-developer projects regularly encounter, such as restoring previous working versions of source code, and conflicting versions of the same source code (more on these problems below).

However, SVN doesn't have to just apply to code. For example, we used it for developing Ragnarok Arena Remastered to keep control of the entire mod. For example, I would make some new footstep sounds and then upload them to the repository for Ackart and other members to download onto their PC.

Why should you use Subversion?

Well, Subversion, for one, accounts for human error. I'm sure you coders have all experienced, at some point or other, a problem where you've written too much code to simply undo it. Or maybe you closed your IDE and the undo buffer was cleared? No worries. SVN will allow you to merge older versions of the code you uploaded to the newer code. It will even tell you the differences, line by line. Maybe you have made a totally kickin' rad cool model that you want to show the developer team, but they're all on the other side of the world fast asleep? No worries. Upload to the repository and they'll see the file is ready to download to their PC next time they logon.

Those are just the core basics though. There's so much more you can do. Please, check out the SVN tutorial here. It's catered towards the TortoiseSVN program which, in my opinion, is the best.

Anyone on HLC can use SVN, as long as you have a project to use it on. All I will need from you is a Private Message with a list of member usernames and passwords for accessing the repository. I will also need the name of your project.
Please, choose a unique password that is not used for anything else. You can use a global username and password for the entire mod team, although it is not recommended, as you cannot keep track of individual users' changes that way. Not good for 2 or more coders working on the same project.

That's all, and Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 07:03:01 PM by Minuit »

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Whiskey brony
Re: [Mod Teams] SVN now available!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:29:07 PM »
It's here woo!
For those who didn't use SVN or for those who never heard about, you will realize how much it's a great tool

For now I just would like to put a litle 'rule' about using SVN, when you are Uploading/Modifing/Deleting a file or piece of it:
DO NOT FORGOT TO COMMENT ON WHAT YOU DID !

There is nothing more frustating than downloading the last version of something you created and realize that 60 modifications have done to it, and you can't tell what have been done ! Don't worry SVN allow you to send a comment directly embeded into the file, and SVN will generate changelog for you

Nauz

• Frag Out! Team
  • Roach
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 10:11:08 PM »
Sounds great! Can't wait to use it in the future. :)

Altaire

• Frag Out! Team
  • Roach
  • :0
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:47:26 PM »
Sounds fantastic!