News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Cry of Fear almost did it!  (Read 3267 times)

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
Cry of Fear almost did it!
« on: February 23, 2009, 05:15:59 AM »
For those of you not following Cry of Fear, a HLC project they almost got a Mod Db award!

They were in the running for Best Upcoming Mod of 2008 and had some really tough competition. Yet if you stop and look at the other fellows on the list, they were all on next generation games like Crysis, Obilivion and Source. It just goes to show that the Gold Source engine is still capable of wowing people. In my mind, a HL 1 modification making it to the final round is truly a great honour.

Way to go Cry of Fear!!

Check out their Mod Db profile to see the other projects in the running and more on Cry of Fear.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/cry-of-fear

PS: Congrats to Curse for taking the win, good to see a Half-Life related engine take the prize.

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
Re: Cry of Fear almost did it!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 06:56:35 AM »
In my opinion, Curse does not deserve award at all.Look at what THEY did(textures, models, maps and few lines of code) and what CoF did(maps, graphics,code, textures, models, EVERYTHING).Huge difference and CoF wins in it, i hate you whoever choosed Curse :argh:
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32:01 AM »
I don't get how Curse was ever selected.  It looks completely average graphics wise, and the gameplay looks like it will suck balls... they reskinned the HL2 zombie *yay* whoop de doo.  Haven't seen that done before :/  All the weapons just seem to be Hexen style rip offs.

Why was Neo Tokyo not chosen instead for HL2?  Because as any fule kno, that does look pro  >:(

technoblue

• For Hire B
  • Roach
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:40:50 AM »
Because, if you have listened to any of the modcasts, they gave Curse a glowing review. Just remember, it is the opinions of the staff. Tbh, I'd rather see CoF win or Neo Tokyo too, but we can't have it all ;(

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 02:22:27 PM »
I hope that Curse will fail in terms of gameplay.They just dont seem to work..good, like, you know, is it hard to make guy actually SWING the thing so he moves his head with it and helmet moves too, not just some black cut-out.Which is one more cons-WTF, when did i even GET to wear the helmet?They should add the actall thing or remove it, its just..dumb, you choose hand, no helmet, then mace and you got helmet on at same second.
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »
Well, I would rather it doesn't fail, but I can't really see it succeeding.

There hasn't been much effort put into the weapons, the weapons are merely the crowbar and gravity gun remodelled.  The whole helmet thing looks really bad though, it makes no sense the way it magically appears / disappears.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:40:37 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words. The difference with Curse is that Gabor has done it all himself, hence things like reskinned zombies and Crowbar animations. CoF is also all done from scratch, but it's always been a 2-man team or more from the very start. Oh well, thanks anyway everyone, really appreciate it!

However, I think we still do win some prizes for being Runners-Up. =D

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 05:14:46 PM »
I hope that Curse will fail in terms of gameplay.They just dont seem to work..good, like, you know, is it hard to make guy actually SWING the thing so he moves his head with it and helmet moves too, not just some black cut-out.Which is one more cons-WTF, when did i even GET to wear the helmet?They should add the actall thing or remove it, its just..dumb, you choose hand, no helmet, then mace and you got helmet on at same second.

Thats a really piss poor attitude you have there. Nobody, especially here should be outright saying that they want a mod to fail, thats just immature. Clearly it is popuiar and people are wanting to play it. I HAVE played it in a Podcast 17 exclusive so I can say that the gameplay works quite well.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 05:54:54 PM »
Lol, how would you "hope" for a mod to fail?

The guy behind the works is obviously doing wonders, so I can't really say snap about him. He's not pulling a "Gordan's Revenge," that's for sure.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 06:06:02 PM by DiamonD »

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Soldier
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Lol, how would you "hope" for a mod to fail?

he guy behind the works is obviously doing wonders, so I can't really say snap about him. He's not pulling a "Gordan's Revenge," that's for sure.

I gotta quote the last bit for the truth. lol.
Anyway Im suprised Neo-Tokyo didnt make it, Im definetly raged at how N-T didnt make it, raaaaaaaaagggggeeeeeeeeee x3

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 11:34:00 PM »
Curse deserves it's award, I'd rather see Cry Of Fear up there but for a HL mod taking second place next to Crysis and Unreal 3 mods is a fantastic achievement, the fact that it didn't make the top spot isn't such a big deal if you think about it. Petrogad doesn't look all that impressive to me, anything can look good on the Crysis engine imho.

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 01:12:18 AM »

Thats a really piss poor attitude you have there. Nobody, especially here should be outright saying that they want a mod to fail, thats just immature. Clearly it is popuiar and people are wanting to play it. I HAVE played it in a Podcast 17 exclusive so I can say that the gameplay works quite well.

Well, i mean it by WORK they did.
Look at Curse-its simple gravigun and they didnt even code in proper crowbar and didnt make him have helmet all the time or either remove it, and im sure they could code it in easily so it moves with players view slowly.Other then that, they did just models, textures, maps.Thats ALL.
While CoF created new code for all, weapons, graphics, INVENTORY, EVERYTHING.And add great looking maps, models, and whole story.For 2-Man-Team its huge achievment and in MY opinion CoF deserved award, not Curse.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »

Look at Curse-its simple gravigun and they didnt even code in proper crowbar and didnt make him have helmet all the time or either remove it, and im sure they could code it in easily so it moves with players view slowly.Other then that, they did just models, textures, maps.Thats ALL.
While CoF created new code for all, weapons, graphics, INVENTORY, EVERYTHING.And add great looking maps, models, and whole story.For 2-Man-Team its huge achievment and in MY opinion CoF deserved award, not Curse.

Get your facts straight. Curse is done by ONE guy, Cry of Fear I believe is at least 3 or 4 according to their videocast. Whats this nonsense about not coding a proper crowbar? He made an original melee weapon system instead.

Yeah I guess doing the models, textures, maps and code isn't hard work at all.

So when is your single-handed-blockbuster-award-winning mod coming out?

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
It's not 3-4, CoF has a well established team of 9 talented individuals. Anyhoo, I thought it was evenly matched. Curse was done completely by one dude, and it's quite polished judging from his recent 1920's styled video (presentation is so fucking good).

Look, the guy behind Curse is abiding by the total-conversion ethic that Andreas and James abide by, so I don't see their content to be any more degrading to the decision made. I really saw this as a flip of the coin, since both mods had equal weights out for and against them. CoF certainly did have a great chance in winning, and quite honestly, I believe it will win the Player's Choice awards.

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 02:22:06 AM »

Get your facts straight. Curse is done by ONE guy, Cry of Fear I believe is at least 3 or 4 according to their videocast. Whats this nonsense about not coding a proper crowbar? He made an original melee weapon system instead.

Yeah I guess doing the models, textures, maps and code isn't hard work at all.

So when is your single-handed-blockbuster-award-winning mod coming out?

Well, i did NOT know that its made by one guy after seeing that its not as good as other mods i watched for longer.But now i guess i will watch it more.

Red Slug

• For Hire B
  • Scientists
  • 12 Gauge
    • Red at Deviant Art
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
In my opinion, Curse does not deserve award at all.Look at what THEY did(textures, models, maps and few lines of code) and what CoF did(maps, graphics,code, textures, models, EVERYTHING).Huge difference and CoF wins in it, i hate you whoever choosed Curse :argh:

But Curse seems to be (apart from Black-Mesa, of course) the bestlooking upcoming HL2 SP mod, and it IS looking quite impressive for a one-man-team (judged by the media released up to now).

Anyway, its impressing nevertheless that CoF made it so far and is obviously able compete with mods built on 21th century gameengines!