News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: "VRAD.exe has stopped working"  (Read 3361 times)

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
"VRAD.exe has stopped working"
« on: March 27, 2009, 12:57:20 AM »
Well Valve updated the Source SDK again, which as ever means ballsariffic error messages.
Basically I'm trying to compile a map for the Orange Box engine in Vista x64, it gets so far before I get a Windows error message come up saying "VRAD.exe has stopped working, shut down program".

I've tried ignoring this error message but that doesn't seem to help me, VRAD just refuses to complete that tiny last bit of its process.

Has anyone else working with the Orange Box encountered this problem, and is there a way to solve it?
As ever any help would be much appreciated... this seems to be a pretty rare problem since I can't find out anything about it.

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
Re: "VRAD.exe has stopped working"
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:34:12 AM »
Try compiling with a 128x128 box room map. I bet it hasn't stopped working. VIS and RAD run at such intensity that they usually ignore calls from Windows requesting an update to show it's still working, hence why in XP if you Ctrl+Alt+Deled when compiling a map it'd say Hammer wasn't responding when in actual fact it was fine.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Re: "VRAD.exe has stopped working"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:07:55 PM »
Ah you were right!  It hadn't stopped working.  Turned out RAD doesn't liked compiling overly dark maps - so I had to raise the brightness of my map, which sucks for making a night time map.

Cheers James :)