News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Modelling-Contest with prizes  (Read 2668 times)

Kloetengott

• Roach
Modelling-Contest with prizes
« on: April 06, 2009, 06:44:28 PM »
As you have already mentioned us in your news, i hope it is ok to annouce our contest here too :-)

I am proud to announce the first Gaming-Models Contest.
From today (04.04.2009) to 03.05.2009 you have the chance to participate in this contest.
The main theme about this contest, is to create furniture models. Anything from couches, charis, over cupboards, to worktops is allowed and can be uploaded for this contest.
The engine this models should be created for, is the Source EP1 Engine.
If you want to let your models participate in our contest, just upload your models, and choose "contest" from the categories-dropdown.
The winner, which will be determined by our Jury, will get a full working students license of Crazybump, a faboulus software to create bumpmaps (heightmaps) from ordinary textures.
You can see what this software is able to to here: As the winners-prize is a students-version, you may only participate if youīre a student, pupil or an apprentice in any way.

The Gaming-Models-Team wishes Good Luck to all of you

www.gaming-models.de
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:58:05 AM by Kloetengott »

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
Re: Modelling-Contest with prizes
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:05:18 PM »
As the winners-prize is a students-version, you may only participate if youīre a student, pupil or an apprentice in any way.

Yeah that pretty much excludes everyone from here.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »
Most people I know either learned modeling through means of wanting to learn it as a means of being fun, not as a means of being in a professional field and wanting money.

Also, I may be mistaken, but isn't advertising this illegal here?

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:21:11 PM »
To expand on why this is a bad, not very well thought-out idea...

You have to be an art student.
You need to have access to an EP1 game.
You need to know how to properly compile and/or otherwise import your assets into the engine.
You need to know how to display your assets in-game, which might require mapping experience.
You didn't specify anything: triangle count? texture sizes?
You didn't specify a time-zone.
Since this contest is taking place on a different forum, a link to it would be handy, but blatantly advertising your own forum on this one is probably against the rules.

Also, furniture? There's nothing more mind-numbing than modeling standard chairs and tables. Come on.

Kloetengott

• Roach
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 02:02:01 AM »
Sorry, i forgot the link.
Look at first post now.
Why do you think that you have to be an art student?
And yes, you have to know a little bit about compiling and creating a model for source.
But this is the most commen engine for game creators and mappers.
This shouldnīt reduce the field that much.
More info about the contest can be found on gaming-models.de
Itīs not a forum, itīs a platform for exchanging models and textures.
And whats wrong with furniture?
We just want to support the mapper-community as much as possible, so we chose a simple theme for the first contest, which hopefully will gain much useable models.

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 06:00:32 AM »
Why do you think that you have to be an art student?

As the winners-prize is a students-version, you may only participate if youīre a student, pupil or an apprentice in any way.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:34:17 AM »
We just want to support the mapper-community as much as possible, so we chose a simple theme for the first contest, which hopefully will gain much useable models.

Oh so people's work will be made available to other people? Why didn't you explicitly state that in the description?

Kloetengott

• Roach
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
Yes, all the work will be made freely available to the mapper-community.
I have not stated this, because this is the main theme of the whole platform.
This is written in the rules, and you have to accept that with every upload you do.

@Thomas: You are atlking about an art student.
Youn donīt have to be an art student, i still donīt know how you come to this idea.
You just have to be a pupil, apprentice or student in any imaginary way to get the winners prize, if you want to participate.
And for the reason that i pay the webspace/traffic and the prize by my own, without taking any fee or having ADīs on the site, iīve chosen the studens version as first prize. I canīt throw my whole money out of the window ^^.

This service is completely free and especially for the needs of mappers.
There is really not much that you can complain about ^^

Editor

• Administrator
  • Gman
  • Some nerd
    • Half-Life Creations
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:58:08 AM »

@Thomas: You are atlking about an art student.
Youn donīt have to be an art student, i still donīt know how you come to this idea.
You just have to be a pupil, apprentice or student in any imaginary way to get the winners prize, if you want to participate.
And for the reason that i pay the webspace/traffic and the prize by my own, without taking any fee or having ADīs on the site, iīve chosen the studens version as first prize. I canīt throw my whole money out of the window ^^.

You say so yourself that you need to be a student, pupil, apprentice. I'd say about 85-90% of the people here are self taught, or not employed in the industry.

I am locking the thread but won't delete it for those who want to participate still. Next time be clear what the contest is, whom it applies to, etc.