News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: A big Hello From The Gate II & request for helpers...  (Read 3130 times)

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
A big Hello From The Gate II & request for helpers...
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »
Hi just a post to introduce my self to these forums and the website.

I am making a Half-life II mod called The Gate II and very recently Planet-half-life has decided to drop all its hosted sites including us. Very kindly and luckily might I say half-lifecreations has decided to host our website so I like to take this opportunity to say a huge thank you for that  :)

Our site is still being worked on I will upload it to the space as soon as I have time.

For now until Planethalflife pull the plug & until we move everything to our new hosts our present website is here -

http://thegate.planethalflife.gamespy.com/gate2site/pages/gate2homepag.html

As I am doing all the mapping in The Gate II of course my time is taken up doing so we do need a few things for The Gate II..

Halflife II face poser - Due to the mapping it would be fantastic to get someone who is apt at using Face poser, the script for the gate II is on  the large side so anyone that has experience in this I would like to hear from. Or indeed anyone who dos have time to learn this as with the onset of mapping its still going to be a wee while before we are ready to add the script to the maps.. So you have time to learn it !

Static modeler - a modeler who can model would be nice, as in model I mean model AND skin. The Modeler is needed mostly for static models. I will do the rest in game.

Prefabber - A general prefabber in Hammer that is able to create simple prefabs i.e.. buildings, simple AI routines etc. and more or less anything on call.

Anyways if you have any experience in any of the above then please contact me via these forums or my direct email address which is..

katncraig86@hotmail.com

And a warm welcome to everyone in these forums  :)

C J Beattie

The Gate II

I apologize beforehand if this is written in the wrong area......

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
Re: A big Hello From The Gate II & request for helpers...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »
Hey mate, glad we could help you out! Your mod is looking pretty nice, so I wish you the best of luck finding mappers. There's a few people here who may be able to help you out, so good luck.

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 11:07:13 AM »
hey james

thanks for warm welcome mate..

mapping isnt teh problem tbh i dont mind doing all the mapping myself as i kinda use to that its the other stuff like the face poser etc that i simply dont have time to learn at present.. not sure out difficult it is.. as never even loaded yet. the days of halflife 1 and there lovely lifeless models are long gone sadly ! lol

anyways thanks for the welcome and anyone who can help just mail me..

Craig

The GateII

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
the days of halflife 1 and there lovely lifeless models are long gone sadly !

This is a lie.

What's the mod about?

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 02:09:13 PM »
a lie? lol

not sure what you mean, what i was on about was how simple the hl1 models are to the average citz model in hl2 its a different world..

its a time gate basically, the story will continue from the first mod i made on halflife 1 engine.. story etc is on the gate 1 site i think...

Cj

Vulpine Complex

• Administrator
  • Black Op
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
I think the gist of Sporkeh's statement is that Half-Life 1's days are far from over, and the models are usually far from lifeless.

Unless you have terrible models. In that case the most advanced engine in the world won't help you.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »
I think the gist of Sporkeh's statement is that Half-Life 1's days are far from over, and the models are usually far from lifeless.

Unless you have terrible models. In that case the most advanced engine in the world won't help you.

Provided you don't mind the fact that the models have no blending, and that you have to animate everything yourself.

HL1 is basically dead.  Theres no documentation for it anymore - without that it's actually a pretty difficult engine to get into, so only long term HL1 modders know how to do anything anymore.

Back on topic, welcome aboard!  The Gate was a somewhat fun mod - my main gripe with it was that you only encountered one NPC throughout the whole game.  Fortunately in HL2 you can assign any NPC model to a monster class, and usually can assign any weapon the player can hold to them.

The level design of TG was OK, it was pretty much straight out of the page of MOHAA and RTCW which is no bad thing, though I couldn't get past the stealth level.  That was impossible.  Don't make levels which end when NPCs see you =X

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 03:00:57 AM »

hi saxon,

ok get what he meant now

Yep tbh The Gate was released far to early and against the advice of the two beta testers i had testing it at that point, Halflife 2 was on the horizion and i thought (foolishly) that no one would want to play The Gate on the ancient engine after Halflife 2 was released. THis i got wrong, you live and you learn i guess, it was my first mod and the lesssons learnt from The Gate have been noted...

dont worry about stealth part I had hundreds of emails complaining about that and that they were stuck... dam that map took me ages to impliment too.. lol

The only bit i dont agree is that The Gate II was similar to RTCW & MOHAA.. Yes the scene was the same ie-WWII but the settings etc are completely diff apart from the end part of the gate where the player is captured..thats from map 9 onwards not sure.. but the early maps i did because no one had created a halflife mod with tombraider implimented traps etc.. or i had never found one.. thats was reason behind the first part of the gate.. i think on the whole considering the halflife engine is a corridor based engine i got away with most i tried on gate (apart from the stealth parts) and i think the reviews we got from sites considering halflife 2 was shortly to be released reflected this..

The Gate was a somewhat fun mod - my main gripe with it was that you only encountered one NPC throughout the whole game

Sorry but how do you know this if you only got to the stealth level? there is more npc's later on in the game..

The mapping later on in the game inproved and new and orginal ideas were added as i got more and more use to the engine.. so there is alot in The Gate than the rather simplistic run/shoot of mohaa... if i hadnt made the stealth level you would seen this :)

HL1 is basically dead.  Theres no documentation for it anymore - without that it's actually a pretty difficult engine to get into, so only long term HL1 modders know how to do anything anymore..

Agree.. exactly the point i was making in previous post.. sad really it was a great engine in its time.. also hl1 the actual game captured me in a way HL2 never did really.. i thought personaly hl2 was a waste of an engine.. could of made it so much better...

Trust me the dam stealth map lessons have been learnt from The Gate lol this time i wont be forced to release on fear of something.. and i might listen to the beta testers this time..

Is there a Halflife 3 on the horizon? anyone know?

thanks for points

Craig

The Gate II

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 03:16:33 AM »
The episodes are "part 3".

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:08:38 AM »
k thankyou sporkeh :)

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 08:27:58 AM »
Yeah the thematic settings of The Gate were obviously different to RTCW or MOHAA, but I felt the level design of was laid out in much the same sort of way... since you mention it I guess it did have a tomb raider influence too :)

The only NPCs I can remember encountering were soldiers with STG44s.  But anyway we're getting off topic here... will The Gate 2 be a direct continuation of 1's storyline or is it set in the HL2 universe?

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:30 AM »
hi saxon..

The Gate II will continue where gate 1 ended basically, back at the cabin with his 'women' infront of him, of course the cabin looks way diff in new engine..

I had lots of mails asking to continue story so i carried it on from first one which will please alot and no doubt probs piss alot off too..

The Halflife 2 universe...... na mate i personly hate the halflife 2 universe like i said in previous post it was a waste of an engine... the story just lacked the 'ZAP' that the first part had..Halflife 1 seemed to pull u in and bam u were hooked in minutes.. i never felt that when playing halflife 2...

Of course i had the stargate fans on my back too on the release of the gate saying its a rip but dealt with them by telling them its  a 'time gate' lol there is scope for more than one type of gate here.. lol otherwise there would be one type of car or one type of computer.. dull world.. than i guess..

I was shocked to how many Halflife 1 mod players there was still out there! in saying that i still play bf1942  & desert combateven though there was a bf2 released so there u go ......

just shows u new engine dosnt mean everything its the guts that matter... lesson learnt i guess...

take care

Craig

Gate II
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:39:13 AM by cjbeattie »

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 06:39:46 AM »
Hey there Craig, quite a fan of the original Gate mod, although flawed I thought you did a great job! Especially impressive was the use of John William's music which was mostly well executed and fitted in with the situations nicely.

Welcome to HLC :)

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 06:42:29 AM »
hi d3ads

thanks for compliments apart from the 'flawed' bit lol

i also used james horner and enrio morricone as i will probs do in gate II

thanks for warm welcome

Craig

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 06:46:48 AM »
Well by flawed I meant that it wasn't perfect, I had some bad fps issues in some parts (this is back in the day, obviously such a thing isn't a problem with recent technology) and some models were hideous :P But for HL, it was really well executed, favourite scenes were the express train and the ending sequence where the ship sinks, very atmospheric.

cjbeattie

• Hosted
  • Roach
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
Hi ok...

well your thinking that anything that isnt perfect is flawed is in itself flawed because believe it or not NOTHING in this universe is perfect so in your eyes everything is flawed! lol crazy way to think mate :)

Yes in the read me for the gate i did explain the fps problems, but to be honest if you got bad fps then u really did need to play it on a more advanced computer....

I say this because most of the gate was written on a pIII 550 with a geforce 4 graphics card & 512 megs of ram (even back then it was ancient).. and from my system I didnt get fps problems.. what were u playing it on? a zx spectrum?  lol u have to remember i also tried alot on the gate that was simply not possible for the halflife engine to handle.. hence the high r speeds at places..

As for the models.. again this is because we never had a modeler hence all the DOD models in the gate... again this was all explained in the read me for the gate..  no modeler = make do mate... that really broke my heart at the time to be honest as the i know that models of course reflect the game, good modelers would seem are as rare as rocking horse shit..

Yes i liked mapping the bismarck scene.. that was actually gladiator music that played to its sinking... but the ship was so bloody big it was a pain to get it to run smoothly even on a fossil like a pIII 550...

glad u enjoyed it..if only a few people enjoyed it then it was worth the hours of mapping :)

Craig