News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Portable Spec KABAR  (Read 2975 times)

Infallible

• Roach
Portable Spec KABAR
« on: October 11, 2009, 01:39:36 AM »
Hi, I'm new here. Thought I'd post something, since I plan on applying for some mod space and figure it might be useful to get to know the community around here first.

Infallible Portable Spec KABAR

Meant for systems like PSP or DS, or games like Unreal and Quake.

I could give it out to anyone who wants to compile it for CS or CZ but I pretty much did it as a portfolio piece. It's done unless I notice something that I can significantly improve on it.

Alex

• For Hire A
  • Gman
Re: Portable Spec KABAR
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

It's very well made considering the poly limit and the resolution of the texture.  For a PSP/DS model that would be really good, in fact it would probably look pretty good in Opposing Force too.

One thing to consider for future modelling is cutting off unseen faces, so that you can increase the poly count on the side of the model which is seen in game.

With a weapon model, it isn't usually worth expending too much detail on a grip/pistol grip, since this will most likely be completely obscured by the hands.  Basically you want the part of the model which is most visible to the player to be the most detailed part - this goes for textures and polygons.

In the case of textures you would want the texture covering the most visible part of the weapon to be relatively larger than those textures which cover obscured areas.

*phew* hope all that makes sense!

Greer

• Pit Drone
  • That lil' robot fella
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 03:57:41 PM »
I could give it a go and compile it for OF on Jennifer!! animations(Kyler ported them on LD OF hands >>)
"The healthy human mind doesn't wake up in the morning thinking this is its last day on Earth. But I think that's a luxury. Not a curse. To know you're close to the end is a kind of freedom. Good time to take...inventory."

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »
I remember you and your CDG antics. Hello.

I think the leather grip could be improved by making the stripes less prominent and by setting the highlight to soft light or something.

Infallible

• Roach
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 05:42:12 PM »
I remember you and your CDG antics. Hello.

I think the leather grip could be improved by making the stripes less prominent and by setting the highlight to soft light or something.
I couldn't really care less about what anyone thinks of me on the internet. Just want to chill.

Also the highlight is already on soft light. I agree about the stripes.

I could give it a go and compile it for OF on Jennifer!! animations(Kyler ported them on LD OF hands >>)
I don't have that game but if you want I could send the files. It's already getting a 1.6 or CZ compile, not sure which.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 05:52:10 PM by Infallible »

KylerAdams

• NS Project
  • Zombie
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 07:25:08 PM »
I don't have that game but if you want I could send the files. It's already getting a 1.6 or CZ compile, not sure which.

Here's an idea. Compile it for -both-. I'll do it for HL if you want.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 07:53:08 PM »
Also, quick edit

IMO, but it's a matter of texturing style.

Blood groove might be textured too high on the blade, haven't checked it against refs though.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:55:04 PM by Sporkeh »

Infallible

• Roach
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 12:10:49 AM »
Also, quick edit

IMO, but it's a matter of texturing style.

Blood groove might be textured too high on the blade, haven't checked it against refs though.

I set up the reference in photoshop before I textured. Also your edit would look horrible on a 128x128 map tbh, cleaner things look much better, and if I wanted it to look worn it's possible but not like that.

Here's an idea. Compile it for -both-. I'll do it for HL if you want.
I'll PM you the files. Compile it for whatever you want, anything would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 12:14:18 AM by Infallible »

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Soldier
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 02:35:21 AM »
PM me them too! I'll see about getting this into Assault-Cube. :D

Infallible

• Roach
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 04:34:13 AM »
PM me them too! I'll see about getting this into Assault-Cube. :D
Dude my CS:S team started playing Assault-Cube competitively, so that would be amazing.