News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: What's your favourite?  (Read 8289 times)

Kir

• Roach
What's your favourite?
« on: October 16, 2009, 01:21:20 AM »
For example, whenever I hear Offspring it brings me back to the 90s which you can say was the decade of my childhood. Their music just brings back all the funny and fun memories of that decade and no matter when they never tire me and that, I think, makes punk-rock my favorite.
So what's your favorite? Who is the band/singer that there's not a chance in the world that you'll ever forget? Or what is your most adored music genre?
Here I sit broken hearted, came to shit but only farted (".)

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
Re: What's your favourite?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:00:05 AM »
I don't know, it really depends on how you define favourite (fucking gay when people say that, I know)

For example, out of all the music I own, I've probably listened to Rammstein the most. Got all their albums and singles, but nowadays I don't really listen to them that much, despite me enjoying myself on the rare occasions I do listen.

However, there's another band I listen to almost on the scale of Rammstein, and that's the Swedish band "Shining" (the fags in my signature). ruMpel got me into them a couple of years ago by sending me Låt Oss Ta Allt Från Varandra from their V: Halmstad album. I really thought the guitar work was awful and the vocals were just a wannabe Till Lindermann from Rammstein, but I didn't really know that what I was listening to was Black Metal. I'd been listening to Death Metal for a while (mainly Scandinavian Melodic Death Metal, don't really like that shit American stuff) and had dabbled once or twice in BM with some Dimmu Borgir songs, but I didn't really like it. Suddenly, I found myself absolutely in love with Shining, although mainly their newer songs, which weren't "classic" Black Metal so much as... I don't know. Depressive Atmospheric Metal (Making up sub-genres is fun  :eng101:) so consequently I was giving all their albums a listen and gradually liked their darker sound more and more.

It was at that point that I gave Dimmu Borgir another try, as the main song I'd heard by them was Puritania off of the Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia album, which is a tad homosexual. I fucking loved their older, rawer stuff and then it all went from there: Gorgoroth, Burzum, 1349, Dimmu Borgir, Shining. Currently trying to get into Immortal, but they might be too grim and frostbitten for me. Not much of a fan.

So in summary:

Favourite band: Rammstein/Shining
Favourite genre: Black Metal

Imperial Wizard

• BSR Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »
Iron maiden.
Ah?

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 06:50:41 AM »

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 06:54:26 AM »
Jealous because I'm too insipitly satanic for you.

Kir

• Roach
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »
Iron maiden.

Oh yeah... I love those guys.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:25:28 AM »
I'm not too sure, I really skip between genres a lot.

As a kid I really liked non-gay Power Metal. And for a while I liked Death Metal like In Flames, Killswitch Engage or similar a lot. But even though that was for a couple of years, metal never really was my thing.
I also sometimes get a feeling that bending what really is music is a good idea, and at those points I start listening to
Merzbow
Or
OOIOO
Or maybe
The Residents

I often return to the same primary bands that I discovered through my brother or his friends back in the day, Those are Wilco, Radiohead, REM and Modest Mouse.
Regardless of how faggy it sounds, I probably listen to "indie" to most people. I prefer to call it rock though, sounds less odd considering indie doesn't really describe the music at all, it rather tells us how it came to exist.

Lately, well, over the last years I've been getting into "Shoegazing" and Jazz a whole lot.

Uh, is there a way to not have those be videos, but just links instead?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 04:27:05 AM by Anton »

JohnChronic

• Half-Life 1.5 Team
  • Black Op
  • Formerly Abyss 25
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:42:06 PM »
Rancid is probably my most listened to band atm. Of course I like other stuff like The White Stripes, NOFX, Streetlight Manifesto, Less then Jake etc.

So basically I like a good ska punk/ two tone song.
Fairly pro texture artist.

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Big Momma
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 07:57:49 AM »
Lemme give you a big list, huh? Cause I've got no real favorite... In no order at all:

Mindless Self Indulgence,
Alexisonfire,
Anberlin,
Dope,
Emarosa,
Lost Prophets,
Nickelback,
Nonpoint,
Pantera,
Paramore,
Pendulum,
Rise Against,
Seether,
Shinedown,
Sixx AM,
Skillet,
Sub focus,
Van Halen,
Judas Priest,
The Prodigy.

I've got more than that tbh.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »

Gravewrecker

• BSR Team
  • Pit Drone
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:55:10 PM »
Wowowo, Matuka, not to sound like an ass, but by some magnificent twist of fate you collected a list of some of my most hated bands there.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 03:44:04 AM by Anton »

Matuka

• Hosted
  • Big Momma
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:57:40 PM »
I know, I gotta agree, they all suck... Except alexisonfire, rise-against, judaspriest, shinedown, Vanhalen and Pantera... Sorry, I just like the first two so much, I do competitive gaming and frag videos and shit, so I sorta need all that techno and emo screamo crap... :<

James

• Administrator
  • Gman
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 03:54:49 PM »
You should put gabber on your competitive videos, people will really like it.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Gman
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 05:33:23 PM »
I know I sure would.  :c00l:

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Gman
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 03:52:00 AM »

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 03:54:51 AM »
My Dying Bride - Classic Doom metal from the Yorkshire moors UK
Nile - Ancient Egyptian influenced death metal from Florida, US
Immortal - Black Metal from one of Norway's finest
Behemoth - Death with hints of blackness from Poland
Anaal Nathrakh - Cataclystic insane Black grind from Birmingham, UK

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 04:16:59 AM »
One thing I've noticed is a definite overweight of Death/Black metal within the gaming community. I really wonder why it is that way.

D3ads

• Gman
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 05:34:26 AM »
Because we're all grim and necro.

and wish we could shoot people in the face irl like in an FPS... or something.

Anton

• Gman
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2009, 10:14:17 AM »
Hahaha, I should have this for a psychology project or something.
Investigate if frequent computer gamers are more GRYM FROSTBITTEN KVLT etc, than others. Could be really interesting.

Kir

• Roach
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 12:48:39 AM »
Actually, it's pretty obvious that gamers and computer geeks are more into rock/metal (in general) because they are some sort of social outcasts even though today it's pretty acceptable, as in there is almost no home without a PC or a laptop with at least one game on it of any sort.
Although I met several gamers that have different taste in music, trip-hop, ambient, etc.

Копейка

• Roach
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 01:54:55 AM »
Iron maiden.
Please don't let it be anything between Somewhere in Time and Brave New World, or the albums immediately succeeding the latter, or else I might have to call you a faggot. Except for Fear of the Dark. WASP, Accept, and Dokken are genuinely more consistent in quality.

As for me, I prefer Priest and Dokken. WASP is good too, and call me a fag but can we all just accept that Stryper is some good shit for being power metal? People hate on power metal but I honestly don't see the big deal. For example, compare Stryper's In God We Trust or To Hell With the Devil with Maiden's absolute turds Seventh Chorus Repeat of a Seventh Chorus Repeat or Falling Down—I mean Man on the Edge.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:16:51 AM by Копейка »

Копейка

• Roach
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 02:16:08 AM »
Edit: shit, I accidentally doubleposted.

Imperial Wizard

• BSR Team
  • Big Momma
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »
I might be 2 weeks late but that's nothing compared to your post.

idk what compelled you to necropost in a nearly 9 year old thread but holy shit man I don't even listen to metal all that much anymore

Ah?