News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Head Hacking  (Read 1532 times)

Gar

Head Hacking
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:30:28 PM »
Topic title sounds a bit weird.

Anyway, I'm working on a personal project in Source and I wanted to just hack another head onto a citizen model. I run 3ds Max 9. I got started: I decompiled male07 into smds I could import into Max. For a while, I was stuck on getting the head onto the body without losing all the envelope data in the rest of the body. (I took a long break and after a while went back and figured it out right away. Kinda funny. I went into editable poly on the body and used the attach function in vertex mode without getting rid of any skin data. But the thing is, I figured it out.) I still had to edit the envelopes around the head a bit to make sure it didn't screw up or anything, but it was a lot easier than doing envelopes on the whole body.

There's a couple things though. The head I'm using isn't mine, exactly. I took a lame root and bought a program that does photo fitting onto a model. Yes, it's lame and cheap, but it served my purpose in providing me a base I could use to make it look decent. When I imported it into max from the program, he was bald, and everything was in pieces. The eyes were different things, the inside of the mouth was comprised of the gums, teeth (upper and lower,) and tongue. The setup of it is extremely different from how the Source models are set up. I connected them together and attached it to the body. But I'm stuck on where to go next...Since it's a different head, I'll have to go in and do custom facial flexes...not to mention I still have to figure out how to add hair easily. >.>

The qc file that came with the citizen I decompiled has all these incredibly confusing things. If I were to compile a new NPC with this head, (provided I can figure it out,) will I need to edit that qc file or is there some utility I've never heard of that helps out with that?

If I wanted to apply a different texture to the head and face, would I have to do any UV mapping before I attach it to the body?

I'll probably come across more questions as I continue...Thanks in advance.

SPRKH

• Cry of Fear Team
  • Big Momma
Re: Head Hacking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:08:53 PM »
Not that experienced with Source, but this link should help a lot

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SDK_Docs

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Expressions

As for the UVs, if you're using FaceGen, then the model is already unwrapped. If you want to apply a different texture with a different UV layout, then yes, you would either have to edit or remap the model.