News: Celebrating over 10 years serving the creative community

Author Topic: Small edits on this model  (Read 3516 times)

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
Small edits on this model
« on: March 10, 2012, 10:11:25 PM »
Hey dudes, I need an edit on this model asap, I basically want this radiator widened and some bits chopped off it, also cut the uvs down to 128x128 (from 256x256) and then 256x128 (from 768x256).

The windows are 48 units wide so it just wants to be a little less wide than that (see attached image), I tried to rescale it but then it's too tall so it needs reshaping.

This is to be used in the houses I'm making for Ničija zemlja, see WIP thread.

Burd!

• Global Moderator
  • Big Momma
Re: Small edits on this model
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
Resized textures, fixed UV's, and edited smoothing on the meters and pipes on the radiator.

E/ Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully. So you want the radiator stretched a bit?

EE/ Added another version, tho' still got sauce so if you got any more suggestions I can edit more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:01:14 AM by DiamonD »

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »
Oh that's great thanks mate, didn't realise the smoothing was iffy.. Paranoia renderer doesn't render smoothing groups for some reason. I should have said that the height of the wall under the window is 36 units.. which is the height of the new radiator so it's touching the window ledge (which I haven't added yet)... causing a fire hazard lol... Make it 32 units high and it'll be done :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 01:08:15 AM by D3ads »

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 06:20:36 PM »
Yo D man where you at? :joebiden:

I got another model to edit, just combine the lamp and additive glass into one model, I think you might need to "draw" the glass texture on the inside for it to look right but I'm not sure. Again, need it asap!

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 05:13:31 PM »
Easy!
If you don't like it, mod it! (DaniJ)

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
Besli that's perfect, cheers! Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I went on vacation for a few days :joebiden:

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »
Fack.. I got a small problem with the lamp, I put a flame sprite inside the model and it wont show up with the glass as it is but if you clip past the glass you can see it! I think it's because there's two additive objects touching ie the glass and the sprite... so the only way to solve the problem is to model the glass so that it has an inside.. am I right? Or is there another way?

Jake

• Scientists
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 05:46:50 AM »
You mean like..duplicating the one side of the glass, and reversing the vertex order?
If so, just don't weld, you'll get unfixable smoothing

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 01:16:49 PM »
I have no idea what you're talking about because I don't model and I got enough to do as it is :P I just need it so that the flame sprite renders through the glass. I'm guessing you have to make it so the glass has an actual interior and it doesn't touch the flint where the flame appears...

Simon

• BSR Team
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Whiskey brony
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:28 PM »
Yeap you have to reverse the order of the glass's vertexes, two adatives don't mix in HL

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:39 AM »
Yeah well I need that doing then :P

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
Finally I've got three more edits that need doing;

Telephone Pole (powerline.rar) - Need to edit it to look like the rough image included, also need to make it so that the pole part is properly Uved, 512x128 should do it. Photo reference is from the war in Kosovo.

barrel_fire/logpile_burn (woodstuff_burning.rar) - Need an additive layer added to the burning wood parts to simulate glowing embers using the special textures I included. Will make the burning fires look more realistic.

chair_wood - Needs to have the underparts uved (the faces are missing) so the chair can be tipped over. Just make the sizes relative to the other parts of the UV. Also make it so each of the back "poles" is uved to include all those in the photo (it will be reskinned too).

grass_grouped - Make the "triangle shapes" into squares whilst keeping the geometry the same, this way I can reskin the faces without worrying about bits being cut off in the custom texture.

I really need these done asap, but if I have to drop them in at the last minute then that should be fine, so long as they're all ready to go before March 31st (including the oil lamp and heigh adjustment on the radiator) when I upload the media for the Moddb page. I did mean to do all this earlier but I've been busy with all the other elements I kinda forgot so sorry for the last minute jobs. I'm doing what I did with The Forgotten and using exisiting models with new skins and edits if necessary to save time, you guys will as always get full credit for helping me out.

I'll post some more updates in the wip thread including the edited models in-game :D

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 09:59:53 PM »
Okay, I did the woodstuff_burning.rar

Also take a look there:
http://hl-lab.ru/rus/folder/Svechi,_fakely,_kostry

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 01:23:30 AM »
Awesome, the glow effect really brings it to life, I'll some pictures of it in action soon :)

Already looked through there many times! There's a lot of good stuff but sometimes I can't tell what's ported and what's not, a bit annoying.

/e barrel_burning and trash_heap-wood are those burning models, I just reskinned them :2pro:

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 05:33:01 PM »
Did the power_line.rar

Also take a look there:
http://hl-lab.ru/rus/folder/LEP

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »
Yeah I've looked through all the models on that site mate, like I said some look great but I'm not sure if they're ported or not, I recognise some from HL2 and other games though.

That's a good effort, but if you look at the ref pic the "bolts" are smaller than the original sized ones and they sort of blend into each other if you see what I mean. Also, I need the actual pole UVed 512x128 because the current skin is stretched and ugly!

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
It's the 31st today guys, really need those models asap! Thanks!

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2012, 05:52:37 PM »
Okay, here's the chair:

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2012, 06:07:39 PM »
Hm, no clue what you mean.
But here's the power pole again:

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2012, 06:18:25 PM »
And here's the lamp with reversed glass smd:

P.S.: Some mods had extra model files with chrome parts, for additive glass...

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
Ok I had heard that family were in town today and we don't get together very often so I decided to delay till Tuesday so I could spend the day with them. So there's a little bit more time to finish off those edits. Again I put them up later than I had intended but if you have the time to help out then I'd be very grateful.. I just want to get this thing out there because it's been too long since I had anything on Moddb proper.

Thanks again Besli, I'll check those out tomorrow. About the powerline, if you look at the edited picture I made, the metal "bolts" (I don't know what to call them) are much smaller than the original model and I've made it so they're inserted into each other where the black parts are, take a look at this image I posted and it should be clearer for you.

/e Sorry about the compression, no idea what happened there!

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:23 AM »
Okay here is another version of the telephone pole:

What I meant above was:
If you use one model for the lamp, you can add the additive (or transparent) flame onto it,
and keep the glass part as a seperate model...
Don't know if you need to code that the glass model gets additive, or if you can do that via HLMV.

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 03:05:44 AM »
That'll do, cheers!

I thought that the additive part was always seperate in earlier models because additive textures hadn't been coded into the engine at that point? Anyway, that works fine, I can see flame perfectly!

The chair needs properly UVing underneath so I can texture that part, at the moment the underside is just a solid colour and it looks horrible :S

Need grass_grouped tomorrow, adding foliage models!

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
Chair with skinned underside:

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 02:30:22 PM »
Thanks again Besli, you're a star!

I just need the radiator resizing to 32 units heigh, I've reattatched it here again. DiamonD did the original edits but I can't get hold of him to make the final edit probably because he's too busy with other things... and I need that sorted asap!

Then it's just grass_grouped that needs the edits and I'm set!

James

• Administrator
  • Big Momma
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
You really should start learning this kind of stuff yourself to ensure you don't run into any brickwalls further along down the line for your mod.

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »
You really should start learning this kind of stuff yourself to ensure you don't run into any brickwalls further along down the line for your mod.

I don't have time... I'm making textures, sprites, model skins, gathering photo references, mapping etc I prefer to stick to what I know and give the modelling tasks to others, I'm already doing most of it but I can't do everything myself! I'll make sure I get people to help out with the mod later on but right now I just want to get the media on Moddb.

Forget the radiator btw, it actually fits in fine with some tinkering, thanks DD :coolbiden:

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
Hey D3ads, I know you are :2pro: in 2d/texture things.
Can you redo the top texture in 256x192, and in the same style as the sidemesh texture?

D3ads

• Baby Gargantua
  • Stoj! Opasna Zona!
    • Moddb Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »
Hey Besli, I'll take a look at it, do you need it soon or can you wait a bit? I'm putting all my free-time into my mod as you can probably appreciate but if you want it asap then I'll put aside some time.

Can you take a look at grass_grouped btw? That's the only model I need doing now :)

Besli

• HoE Project
  • Baby Gargantua
  • Mr. Database
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2012, 06:04:29 AM »
The weaponbox top texture can wait, I don't need it asap! ;)
Yeah, but I don't really understand what you want on the grass group model.
You want that it uses the full bmp texture so nothing is cut ou in a higher resolution reskin?